This creamy buffalo chicken dip is incredibly easy to make, highly addictive, and the perfect appetizer for your next tailgate party.
This recipe combines rotisserie chicken, cream cheese, Bleu Cheese dressing, Frank’s hot sauce, and cheddar cheese for one incredible appetizer! It’s like eating Buffalo Chicken Wings without the mess.
Make this for your friends and family and they will never stop talking about it. Just don’t be surprised when they ask you to make it again… and again… and again. It is THE dip.
Fortunately for us, it’s also surprisingly easy to make. Especially when you use store-bought rotisserie chickenPin This Recipe
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
2 1/2 cups rotisserie chicken (chopped)
2 (8oz) packages cream cheese (softened)
1 cup Blue Cheese dressing
3/4 cup Frank's Original Red Hot Sauce
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
Celery sticks, carrot sticks, tortilla chips, potato chips, crunchy bread pieces (for serving)
1. Place a skillet over medium heat. Add finely chopped rotisserie chicken and hot sauce and cook until heated through.
2. Add the Blue cheese dressing and cream cheese, and stir until well blended.
3. Mix in half of the shredded cheese and transfer the mixture to a slow cooker.
4. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Cover and cook buffalo dip on low until hot and bubbly.
Tips & Tricks
- Use room temperature cream cheese. This ensures a creamy dip that mixes together easily. Just take it out of the fridge 20-30 minutes prior to cooking. If you don’t have the time, microwave it for 45 seconds and you’ve got yourself a nice softened cream cheese.
- Baked chicken breasts or thighs also work as great alternatives to rotisserie chicken. This is also an excellent way to use up any leftover Thanksgiving turkey!
- You can add or reduce the hot sauce depending on how spicy you like your food. This recipe calls for ¾ cup of hot sauce, which is fine if you’re having friends over to watch the Superbowl. But, if you’re serving kids or guests that are sensitive to hot stuff, you may want to dial it down. Add as much (or as little) “kick” as you like.
- Speaking of spice, feel free to use your preferred hot sauce, but I always use Frank’s Red Hot in mine.
- As for the dressing, this recipe calls for Bleu cheese, but it’s totally okay to use Ranch instead. If you’re torn between the two, do half of each!
- Instead of using the crockpot, you can also bake Buffalo chicken dip. To make, spread cream cheese into a 1-quart baking dish. Add the chicken, hot sauce, and Bleu cheese dressing. Top with cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While it’s normally better to use fresh ingredients, stick to garlic powder instead of minced garlic for this recipe. Garlic powder has a stronger flavor, giving the dip that nice garlicky goodness.
- While this recipe only calls for Cheddar cheese, I often add Mozzarella into the mix as well. Mozzarella is great for melting, so it will help give you an ooey-gooey dip.
- Speaking of cheese, I also recommend that you grate it yourself, instead of buying it pre-shredded. First of all, it’s so easy to do. Second, pre-shredded cheese contains an anti-caking agent called cellulose. And while it is technically not harmful at all, you never know how much cellulose is added to the cheese. Some brands put a ton of cellulose in place of actual cheese. When you grate it yourself, you know you’re only getting the good stuff!
- For easier grating, freeze the cheese for 30 minutes prior.
- Want to give your dip a nice crunch? Top it with some crispy jalapenos!
What’s good with buffalo dip?
Dips are great with perhaps any fried food or crispy chips or veggie. It tastes amazing with carrot sticks, cucumbers, and celery sticks. It brings your favorite potato and tortilla chips to a whole new level, as well! Lastly, who can say no to pretzels, Saltine crackers, Ritz crackers, and toasted bread dipped in this rich and flavorful dressing?
It also makes an excellent grilled cheese sandwich. It’s your favorite childhood meal with a bit of a kick!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?