This easy and delicious TikTok ramen recipe is a little bit sweet and just the right amount of salty, with a whole lot of umami goodness.
It’s so effortless that you can whip it up any time of the day or night.
I’m not going to pretend I’m young enough to understand everything on TikTok.
But when it comes to trending food hacks and recipes, I’m very well-versed.
And out of all the viral trends I’ve seen over the years, this ramen hack is my absolute favorite.
It’s quick, cheap, and mind-blowingly delicious! It just takes one forkful to get you hooked.
So if you haven’t tried this TikTok ramen yet, consider this a sign to get cooking!
What is TikTok Ramen?
TikTok ramen is essentially instant ramen that’s cooked without the flavor packet. Instead, the noodles are tossed in a thick glaze made with melted butter, garlic, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Some scrambled eggs are also thrown into the mix for added flavor, color, and a boost of protein.
This hack was introduced by TikToker harleen.eats in 2021 and has since garnered over 1.6 million views.
With its salty, sweet, and umami-rich flavors, it’s no wonder this ramen became such a huge hit!
Okay, so this recipe is a little more involved than regular ramen. You’ll need to do more than boil water and stir in seasoning.
But it’s so worth it!! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Instant Ramen – Any brand works, but if you like firm and chewy noodles, go for Korean brands such as Nongshim and Samyang.
- Butter – The base of the sauce. I use unsalted butter because you’ll already get the saltiness from the soy sauce.
- If all you have is salted butter, that’s fine, too, but do reduce the amount of soy sauce in the recipe.
- Garlic – Any sauce with butter has to have garlic, too! That’s just standard practice, and either fresh or powdered garlic works, here. The recipe says 1 teaspoon, but add as much garlic as your heart tells you to.
- Red Pepper Flakes – For a bit of a kick. You can also use Sriracha or hot sauce, but know that they have a bit of tanginess, which will change the overall flavor a little.
- Brown Sugar – For sweetness. In a pinch, you can substitute it with white granulated sugar, but brown sugar has a deeper, sweeter flavor that goes really well with butter and soy sauce.
- Soy Sauce – For that rich, umami flavor.
- Egg – Here the egg is scrambled separately and stirred into the noodles, but you can also cook it however you like.
- Everything Bagel Spice – This ramen hack’s secret ingredient! It might not make sense to add an American seasoning to an Asian-inspired dish, but it works! And it doesn’t just add flavor, but texture, too.
- If you don’t have the spice mix on hand, you can make it yourself.
- Or, if you have furikake, a Japanese rice seasoning, that works beautifully, too.
What is Everything Bagel Spice?
Everything bagel seasoning is a mixture of toasted sesame seeds, poppy seeds, minced garlic, minced onion, and salt. It’s typically found on everything bagels, but since Trader Joe’s bottled it for sale, people have been adding it to everything from fries and pizza to noodles and rice.
It adds saltiness and crunchiness to whatever it’s sprinkled on. It’s pure gold, and luckily, it’s readily available in plenty of stores and online.
Several brands carry this seasoning, including:
- Trader Joe’s Bagel Seasoning
- King Arthur Bagel Topping
- Millhouse Bagel Seasoning
- Paleo and Keto Approved Bagel Seasoning
- Organic Bagel Seasoning Blend
Of course, if you can’t find it anywhere, just make your own!
Here are the measurements for homemade everything bagel seasoning:
- 1 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon minced dried garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced dried onion
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
All you need to do is mix it up and store it in an airtight container. How easy is that?
How to Make TikTok Ramen
1. Cook the noodles to al dente.
You don’t want the noodles too mushy! If you like your noodles with a firm, chewy bite, consider undercooking by 1 minute.
2. Make the sauce.
Melt butter in the pan and saute the garlic and red pepper flakes. Mix in the brown sugar and soy sauce and stir until dissolved.
3. Toss the noodles and sauce together until completely coated.
You can do this right in the pan.
4. Scramble the egg.
Make space in the same pan (no need to remove the noodles) for the egg and cook until fluffy. Then, stir it into the noodles.
Or, if it’s easier, cook the eggs in a separate pan and add them just before serving.
5. Sprinkle with Everything Bagel.
Transfer into a bowl and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Ramen
- This recipe works with any kind or brand of ramen. I highly suggest you try Korean brands, though, such as Nongshim and Samyang. I find them thicker, firmer, and chewier compared to other noodles.
- Fresh garlic yields a fresh flavor (duh), but you can also go for garlic powder for convenience. You might need to play around with the measurements in that case. Taste the sauce and see if you need more.
- Consider cooking the sauce before the noodles. Since you’ll toss it all together, you want the sauce hot (or at least warm) when the noodles are ready. Otherwise, the noodles will dry out and clump together.
- Don’t drain the noodles completely. Instead, leave 1-2 tablespoons of water in the pot to keep them from drying out. Reserve a cup of noodle water just in case your sauce is too thick.
- Toss the noodles in the sauce as soon as the brown sugar dissolves in the melted butter mixture. You don’t want to reduce the sauce too much because the soy sauce will make it too salty.
- Scrambling the eggs isn’t a requirement. You can cook the egg however you like – boil it, poach it, pan-fry it – it’s totally up to you. You can even mix it in with the cooked noodles to further thicken the sauce.
- Aside from Everything Bagel, you can also top your ramen with minced green onions for extra flavor and a pop of color. I also like to add a few slices of red chili to the top.
The great thing about this TikTok ramen hack is it’s super easy to customize.
Just change up the ratios, remove ingredients you don’t like, and add ones that you do.
Feel free to experiment and let me know how yours turns out!
If you need ideas, here are some suggestions:
- Pad Thai Ramen – combine peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, and a bit of water to make a tasty and creamy peanut sauce.
- Ramen Stir Fry – chop up whatever veggies you have on hand and stir them in! Carrots, broccoli, bell peppers, and red onion all make great options. The more colorful, the better.
- Spicy Ramen – mix in Sriracha, extra red pepper flakes, chilies, or whatever your favorite hot sauce is.
- Healthy (ish) Ramen – use low sodium soy sauce and a brown sugar substitute. Use ghee, olive oil, or avocado oil in place of the butter.
No Ramen? No Problem!
Just use any Asian noodles, and you’ll be fine.
Spaghetti noodles make an okay substitute, too. Be sure you don’t overcook the noodles so they stay nice and al dente.
More Viral Recipes You’ll Love
Looking for more easy TikTok recipes? Check out this list right here!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?