This Oreo mug cake takes the classic combo of cookies and cream to a whole new level! And can you believe it’s only a 2-ingredient, 5-minute recipe?
This moist, fudgy, and decadent mug cake only needs Oreos and milk, and you don’t even need to bake the mixture. Just stick it into the microwave and watch the magic happen!
At first, I was skeptical. But it was all over my For You Page, so I just had to try it.
After all, when has a viral TikTok recipe ever let us down?
And guess what? I’m so glad I gave this a shot. It’s quickly become my go-to, late-night sweet treat.
Trust me; when you’re craving chocolate cake but don’t have the patience to make anything from scratch, this is the recipe to turn to.
So let’s all welcome this Oreo mug cake to the club. I have a feeling we’ll be seeing it a lot!
TikTok Oreo Mug Cake Recipe
This 2-ingredient Oreo mug cake recently blew up on TikTok, and I completely understand why.
I mean, who doesn’t want a super simple recipe that yields a super delicious cake? I don’t know who to thank for this idea, but whoever it is deserves an award.
It’s unbelievable how a combination of crushed Oreos and milk can produce a dessert that tastes like actual cake!
I also love that this recipe is just enough to serve one.
It’s not exactly smart and economical to bake an entire 9-inch cake when you just want one slice!
Plus, you don’t need to worry about any leftovers calling your name.
With just two ingredients, this is without a doubt one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever featured on this page.
Are you ready? Here’s what you’ll need:
- Oreos – I’ve tried two kinds of Oreos – original and red velvet – for this recipe, and they’ve both worked beautifully. I imagine any Oreo variation will work great, too.
- Milk – It saturates the Oreos and turns them into a moist cake. I like to use either whole or evaporated milk to give the cake a full flavor.
How to Make Oreo Mug Cake
Step 1: Crush the Oreos in a microwave-safe mug with a fork.
You’ll want a mug with at least an 8-ounce capacity to prevent the cake from overflowing.
Step 2: Pour in the milk and mash them together until the Oreos soften and moisten like cake.
Be patient with this step, as it’ll take about a good minute to finely mash the Oreos.
Step 3: Microwave the mug cake.
The length of cooking depends on your microwave’s wattage, but in general, it’ll take about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Cook for 1 minute first, and then in 30-second increments until done.
You’ll know the cake is done when it’s tender and moist but not wet.
Step 4: Let the cake cool.
The cake will be too liquid right after cooking, so you’ll have to give it time to cool. It’ll take at least 5 minutes for the cake to set and firm up.
Step 5: Serve.
This is the fun part! Garnish it with any sweet and crunchy topping you can think of, and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Oreo Mug Cake
- Don’t overcook the cake, or it’ll be hard and rubbery. The cooking time may vary depending on how powerful your microwave is. Always start with 1 minute, and cook further in 30-second increments until the cake is moist but not wet.
- If you want a fluffier, sponge-like cake, stir in a pinch of baking powder. This is easiest to do with the milk before pouring it into the mug.
- I like to use either whole or evaporated milk for a rich and full-flavored cake. That said, you can opt for any kind of milk. Even nut milk works!
- Don’t cook two mug cakes at the same time. It won’t cook right because the heat won’t be distributed evenly.
- It’s better to put the mug on the outer edge of the microwave plate than in the middle. The cake will cook more evenly that way.
- Give the cake at least 5 minutes to cool and firm up. I know, I know. But you have to trust that it’s worth it!
- This cake is best enjoyed the day it was made. It’ll harden and get chewier over time.
Mug Cake Variations
The best part about this cake is that you can easily customize it.
So, here are some topping and mix-in suggestions to make the Oreo mug cake more enjoyable:
- Want a more decadent cake? Add chocolate chips to the faux batter before you cook it.
- Serve the mug cake with whipped cream on top. Or, if you’re feeling a little extra, make a chocolate ganache by microwaving equal parts cream and chocolate chips for 1 minute, or until smooth and melted.
- You can also top the warm cake with a scoop of your favorite ice cream for a lovely hot and cold contrast. This is easier if you turn the cake out of the mug and into a bowl.
- Try other Oreo varieties for a different flavor. I’ve tried these with red velvet Oreos, and OMG, it was a bomb! But I think the Golden Oreos will be next.
- Enhance the cake’s flavor with a splash of vanilla extract. Or top the cake with fresh berries to give it a refreshing contrast.
- You can’t go wrong with Oreos on Oreos! Top the cake with chopped Oreo chunks for a more decadent dessert.
- Drizzle caramel on top for a sweet and salty contrast. Store-bought will work just fine!
- Mix in chopped walnuts, almonds, or pistachios in the “batter” for a crunchy surprise. I like pecans because they’re buttery.
- Serving it for Halloween? Hide a few gummy worms in the cake!
More Easy Cake Recipes You’ll Love
Interested in other viral TikTok recipes? Check this out!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?