This microwave chocolate lava mug cake is gooey on the inside, rich and fudgy on the outside. Perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth without having to bake a whole cake!
Top it off with some vanilla ice cream on top and you’ve got a sweet, decadent dessert for one. Or two if you’re generous and want to share with a friend.
Because let’s face it, sometimes you just don’t have time for the oven or spending hours in the kitchen. That’s where this microwave mug cake comes to the rescue!
I often forget that the microwave can do “real” cooking. Not just heating up leftovers and warming up my next cup of tea.
But actual cakes, brownies, cookies, and other treats.
This proven, popular recipe comes from one of my favorite YouTube chefs – Steve Owens.
Check him out for all sorts of different recipes you can make in a mug 🙂
How to Make Chocolate Lava Mug Cake
First, you’ll need a large mug. We’re not skimpy on our portion size here!
You’ll start by putting 3 tablespoons of butter inside your mug. Melt in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
Add in 3 tablespoons of sugar, 4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa, and a nice big pinch of salt.
Mix well. You’ll see it start to get nice and chocolaty.
Now, we’re going to add the wet ingredients. Add 3 tablespoons of milk, 1 egg and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder. Stir until you get a nice, smooth batter.
Now it’s time for the chocolate!
You can use a variety of different brands and flavors here. Choose your favorite! White chocolate. Dark Chocolate. Milk chocolate. It’s up to you. Dove, Hershey’s, and Cadbury are some of my go-to’s.
Place 1oz of your favorite Chocolate on top of the batter.
And here comes the secret ingredient…
The key to a great molten lava mug cake is keeping it nice and gooey on the inside. So you’re going to put a tablespoon of water over the center. This will give you that delicious, melted center.
Now we’re going to pop it in the microwave for about 1 minute and 20 seconds. This may vary depending on the power of your microwave. So you may need to experiment.
Start with a minute and check your cake. Like any dessert, it’s important NOT to overcook. You want the cake to be moist.
The top should still be a little sticky, but fully set.
Once it’s ready, dust with powdered sugar on top and dig in!
It’s almost too easy. A few simple ingredients and a minute in the microwave make for a rich, fudgy, decadent dessert that you can whip up anytime. Perfect for those nighttime cravings or sharing with friends.
You can top it off with some vanilla ice cream, whip cream, caramel sauce, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, bananas, or even some chocolate sauce on top.
Because honestly, how can you ever have too much chocolate?
Customize this mug cake any way you like.
It’s a little taste of heaven all wrapped up in a mug. Makes me want to snuggle up in a blanket just thinking about it. Add a cup of coffee to the mix and I’m in heaven.
3 Tbsp melted butter
3 Tbsp sugar
4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
3 Tbsp milk
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1oz of your favorite Chocolate (Dove, Hershey's, Cadbury)
1. Put 3 tablespoons of butter in a large mug. Melt in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
2. Add in 3 tablespoons of sugar, 4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa, and a nice big pinch of salt.
3. Mix well. Should start to get nice and chocolaty.
4. Add in 3 tablespoons of milk, 1 egg and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder. Stir until you get a nice, smooth batter.
5. Place 1oz of your favorite Chocolate on top of the batter.
6. Pour a tablespoon of water over the center (covering the chocolate). This will give your chocolate mug cake that delicious, melted center.
7. Pop it into the microwave for about 1 minute and 20 seconds. This can vary depending on the power of your microwave. Start with 60 seconds and check your cake. The top should still be a little sticky, but fully set.
8. Top with powdered sugar, whip cream, vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, chocolate chips, or any other favorite toppings.
Recipe Source: Steve Owens
Did you like the recipe?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!