This ooey gooey chocolate dump cake needs just 5 ingredients and ten minutes of prep.
Yet somehow, it’s impossibly rich and fudgy – a chocolate lover’s dream!
The next time you need a decadent dessert, but don’t feel like making anything fancy, try this chocolate dump cake recipe.
I know the name isn’t the most appetizing, but the cake itself is impossible to resist.
And all you have to do is dump everything in the baking dish and let the oven do its thing.
How easy is that?
5-Ingredient Chocolate Dump Cake
This chocolate dump cake is the perfect dessert for chocolate lovers.
Every bite is loaded with so much rich chocolatey flavor, you’d never believe it needs just a handful of pantry staples to make!
You’ll need chocolate cake mix and dry pudding mix, plus milk, unsalted butter, and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Mix all of these ingredients together and pour them into a pan. Then, pop it in the oven and bake until it’s nice and gooey.
Like I said, it’s easy peasy!
And like a classic sheet cake, you can serve this right in the dish. In fact, I think it’s best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
What Is a Dump Cake?
A dump cake is a dessert made by “dumping’ all the required ingredients into a baking dish.
In most cases, you don’t even need to mix anything. Instead, just add the ingredients in a specific order, then bake until fluffy.
Dump cakes are known for being quick, easy, and guaranteed to please. That’s why they’re a great option for potlucks and feeding a crowd.
It’s a super simple way to make a delicious and impressive dessert with minimal effort.
Plus, they can be easily customized with different fruits, cake flavors, and mix-ins.
And you can easily add a simple layer of frosting over the top once it’s cooled.
To make this chocolate dump cake, you’ll only need a handful of simple ingredients:
- Chocolate Cake Mix: Use a plain chocolate cake mix or a Devil’s Food cake mix. Pick whatever brand you like best.
- Dry Pudding Mix: This adds extra chocolatey richness, deeper flavor, and a ton of moisture.
- Whole Milk: The higher fat content in whole milk helps to make the cake a lot moister.
- Cold Unsalted Butter: Use refrigerated butter. It helps the cake form a little extra crispiness on top, like a brownie.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: They add an extra layer of gooey, chocolatey goodness to the cake. You can use semi-sweet, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate chips for this recipe.
How to Make Chocolate Dump Cake
Once the ingredients are ready, this recipe couldn’t be easier to recreate.
So, here’s how to make chocolate dump cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175°) and grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
- Pour the boxed cake mix into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the dry chocolate pudding mix over the cake mix.
- Drizzle the milk over the mixture and use a spatula to blend everything.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the mixture and dot small pieces of butter over the top.
- Bake the chocolate dump cake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool for a few minutes, then slice and serve with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or hot fudge.
How to Store
Whether you have leftovers or have the cake baked for later, the best way to store chocolate dump cake is in the fridge.
If you have a whole cake, let it cool completely. Then, wrap the dish in plastic and foil and place it in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Alternatively, cut leftovers into portions and store them either wrapped in plastic or in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
And if you need a fun way to use up those leftovers, try them in this chocolate cake shake!
Can You Make Chocolate Dump Cake Ahead of Time?
If you want to make chocolate dump cake ahead of time, prepare all of the ingredients and store them in the fridge until you’re ready to bake the cake.
Or prepare and bake the cake according to the recipe, then allow it to cool completely.
When it’s cold, cover the pan with foil or plastic wrap and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
That said, since this recipe literally takes minutes to prep, it’s so easy to just whip it up when you need it.
Chocolate Dump Cake Variations
There are so many ways you can vary this recipe, and these are my faves:
- Use a different type of cake mix. While chocolate is an excellent choice for chocolate dump cake. But you can also experiment with other flavors, such as red velvet or spiced cake.
- Toppings. Add in some toffee chips, peanut butter chips, or add in some nut for an extra layer of crunch. Some good options include pecans, almons, or walnuts. You can even drizzle some caramel sauce on top for an extra indulgent treat!
- Use different types of chocolate chips. As well as the semi-sweet chocolate chips, you can mix in other types too. Try milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or white chocolate for extra chocolatey flavor.
- Add a layer of fruit. To add some fruity flavor, spread a layer of pie filling over the cake before baking. Cherry is my favorite!
- Peanut butter chips are a great addition to chocolate dump cake. Especially if you love peanut butter and chocolate together.
More Chocolate Cake Recipes You’ll Love
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?