There are few desserts easier than this apple dump cake recipe.
It may not have the prettiest name, but your taste buds won’t know the difference.
With just a few ingredients and a few minutes of prep, this dessert will delight anyone that takes a bite.
Trust me, you’ll crave this fruity, flavorful, and buttery treat every day of the week.
So the next time you need a cozy fall treat, give this apple dump cake a try.
5-Ingredient Apple Dump Cake Recipe
Apple dump cake is one of the most popular flavors of dump cake – a fun and easy dessert that calls for “dumping” the ingredients into a baking dish.
The sweet, slightly spiced apples are topped with a crumbly, buttery cookie-like crumb, making it almost like a cross between a cobbler and apple crisp.
It only requires five ingredients, so it’s budget-friendly and fuss-free!
No mixing, no extra dishes, no mess. Heck, you can even make dump cakes in a Crockpot!
- Apples – Use any apple you like. But I find that Granny Smiths are fantastic for this recipe. The tartness balances the sweetness perfectly, and they’re sturdy enough to stand up to baking.
- Use a combination of sweet and tart apples if you like more of a mix.
- Try Honeycrisp with Jonathans.
- Sugar – For sweetness. It will make the dessert nice and balanced, and super tasty.
- Cinnamon – Apples and cinnamon go together like peanut butter and jelly – only better!
- Yellow Cake Mix – Cake mix cuts down on the prep work and keeps the ingredient list short. Use white or yellow for classic results. Or go wild with a spiced cake mix!
- Butter – It melts with the cake mix to create a delectable topping.
How to Make Apple Dump Cake
As mentioned, this is a super straightforward recipe. You’ll find detailed instructions in the box below. But for now, here’s the highlights:
1. Prepare the apples.
Peel and chop the apples into bite-sized pieces. Don’t make them too small, or they’ll turn to mush in the oven.
Then add them to the baking dish with the cinnamon and sugar and mix until it’s all well combined.
You can also do this in a bowl. But doing it in the dish saves on washing up!
2. Add the cake mix and butter.
Sprinkle the cake mix over the cinnamon-sugar apples, ensuring it’s evenly distributed.
Next, pour the melted butter over the top, and try to get it on as much of the cake mix as possible.
This will make for the most heavenly topping.
3. Bake and enjoy!
Once it’s all layered, you’ll bake the dump cake in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175°C) for 45 to 50 minutes.
When it’s done, the top will be golden brown and perfect.
Cool the dump cake for about 15 minutes, serve, and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Apple Dump Cake
I know this recipe is simple, but here’s a few tips anyway:
- For extra flavor, add some nutmeg or a dash of vanilla extract.
- Use different cake mixes, like spice cake mix, to change up the flavor.
- When you pour the butter on top of the cake mix, tilt the pan to let it spread out.
- If you want to make this dump cake butter free, use lemon-lime soda instead.
- Add fruit, like pineapples, cherries, or berries, for an apple dump cake combo. Just toss in a 20-ounce can of your choice of fruit and mix it with the apples.
- Sprinkle in some chopped nuts, like almonds, walnuts, or pecans. It will add a bit of crunch and a nice nutty flavor.
- For a caramel apple dump cake, drizzle caramel on top of the apples, or dot chopped caramel candies in the dish. It’ll melt into the apple filling perfectly.
- Make a gluten-free version with gluten-free cake mix. Follow the directions as normal.
- Swap the cinnamon for pumpkin pie spice. You’ll have a cozy fall dessert in no time.
How to Store Apple Dump Cake
If you happen to have leftover apple dump cake (I doubt it), storage is easy.
Just cover any leftovers with foil and store them in the refrigerator. They’ll stay fresh for about three days.
If you want to save the apple dump cake for longer, you can freeze it, too.
Transfer the cooled cake to a freezer-safe container and freeze for 2-3 months.
To serve the apple cake out of the freezer, place it in the refrigerator overnight or leave it on the countertop at room temperature for 2-3 hours.
Once it’s thawed, it’s ready to enjoy.
How to Serve Apple Dump Cake
Apple dump cake tastes fantastic on its own. But to elevate this dessert to the next level, try these irresistible serving suggestions.
- Warm cake + cold ice cream = dessert heaven. The ice cream will melt and mix with all of the heavenly flavors. Use vanilla, butter pecan, or salted caramel.
- Lighten it up with whipped cream. Or use Cool Whip for an even quicker topping.
- Make it extra indulgent with a drizzle of warm, gooey, salted caramel sauce. You can even buy it ready-made and warm it up on the stove.
- Serve it with a spiced chai latte or a hot toddy. The warm flavors will complement the cinnamon so well.
More Apple Recipes You’ll Love
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?