Can’t choose between burger night and taco Tuesday? This smash burger taco recipe brings you the best of both worlds.
It went viral on social media for good reason. It’s savory, crunchy, and impossible to resist!
Imagine the sizzle of a juicy burger patty and the crunch of fresh lettuce. It’s drizzled with the tang of a special sauce, all wrapped up in a soft tortilla.
Once you try these smash burger tacos, you’ll never go back to the standard ground beef filling again.
What is a Smash Burger Taco?
A smash burger taco is a creative fusion of a traditional smash burger and a taco.
The thin, crisp burger patty is served in a soft taco shell instead of a bun. And the smash burger comes from the cooking technique.
A ball of ground meat is smashed onto a hot griddle to form a thin patty. This process results in a burger with a crispy, caramelized exterior and a juicy interior.
It’s nestled inside a soft tortilla with cheese, sauce, and fillings.
Here’s what you need to make this delicious recipe:
- Special Sauce – A combination of mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, relish, and hot sauce. This sauce adds a tangy, creamy, and slightly spicy element to the tacos.
- Ground Round – This beef is lean yet flavorful, perfect for burger patties.
- Seasoning – Include Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to enhance the flavors of the meat.
- Flour Tortillas – The base of your tacos. They have a mild flavor and soft texture that complements the other ingredients.
- American Cheese – It adds a creamy, slightly tangy taste to your tacos.
- Iceberg Lettuce – This lettuce provides a crunchy texture and a refreshing, light taste.
- Onion – It adds a sharp flavor and a bit of crunch to contrast the smooth textures of the other ingredients.
How to Make a Smash Burger Taco
Making these tacos couldn’t be easier! Simply follow these steps:
1. Prepare the special sauce. In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, relish, and hot sauce. Set it aside.
2. Cook the patties. Heat a large skillet over high heat, divide the meat into four portions, and smash each into a thin patty. Season them with salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the tortillas. Place a tortilla on top of each beef portion and press to flatten the beef into the tortilla. Cook them until the tortillas are golden brown. It should take 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add the toppings. Flip each patty onto the tortilla side, top it with cheese, and let it melt. Once the tortilla has browned, top it with lettuce and onions. Drizzle it with special sauce.
5. Serve. Fold the tortillas in half and serve them immediately while the patties are still hot.
Tips for the Best Smash Burger Tacos
Want to make your tacos even more delectable? Follow these tips and tricks:
- Quality matters. Start with fresh, high-quality ingredients. Use fresh ground beef with an excellent fat ratio for juicier patties.
- Don’t skimp on the seasoning. The salt and pepper in the meat enhance the flavors.
- Get your skillet hot. A hot skillet is critical to achieving a nice sear on your smash burgers. It provides a great texture and flavor.
- Go easy on the meat. Handle the ground beef as little as possible. Overworking can make the burgers tough.
- Smash once, not twice. Only smash your burger once right after it hits the skillet. Doing so helps create a crispy, seared crust.
- Make your tortillas toasty. Warm tortillas are softer and taste better. You can do this in the oven, on the stove, or even on the grill.
- Don’t wait! The tacos are best served immediately while everything is still warm and the tortillas are soft.
You can explore several variations to mix up your smash burger tacos. Here are some ideas:
- Turkey Smash Tacos. Replace the ground round with ground turkey. Turkey is a leaner option and can provide a different flavor profile.
- Black Bean Smash Tacos. Substitute the ground round with smashed black beans for a vegetarian alternative. Be sure to season them well!
Try using different types of cheese, like Sharp Cheddar and Pepper Jack, for a more robust flavor.
- Whole Grain Tacos. Use whole-grain tortillas instead of flour for an added fiber boost.
- Lettuce Wraps. You can use large lettuce leaves instead of tortillas for a low-carb alternative.
- Add sliced avocados or a dollop of guacamole. They give a creamy texture and added flavor.
- Add a tangy twist. Try pickled red onions or jalapenos.
- Use a mix of colorful bell peppers. They make a vibrant and healthy topping.
- Substitute the iceberg lettuce. Try spinach or arugula for a different leafy green option.
- Try using BBQ sauce. It brings a smoky flavor.
- For a spicier alternative, create a chipotle mayo. Blend chipotle peppers in adobo sauce with mayonnaise.
- Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce. You can also add a squeeze of fresh lime for an extra tangy flavor.
Remember, the best part of cooking is making it your own! Feel free to experiment with different flavors and ingredients to suit your preferences.
Smash burger tacos are a fun and flavorful main course. But you can pair them with various side dishes to create a satisfying meal. Here are some ideas:
How to Store and Reheat
If you have leftover smash burger tacos, here’s how to keep them fresh:
To Store: Wrap the smash burger taco in foil and refrigerate.
To Meal Prep: Deconstruct your tacos for the best results. Store the components separately in air-tight containers in the refrigerator.
- Patties and Cheese: Store the leftover patties with the melted cheese in an airtight container. They can last in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
- Sauce: The special sauce can be refrigerated in a separate air-tight container for up to a week.
- Tortillas: Keep them in their original packaging or transfer them to a sealable plastic bag or air-tight container. They can last for about a week in the pantry.
- Lettuce and Onion: Store these in separate air-tight containers in the crisper drawer of your fridge. They should stay fresh for about a week.
To Reheat: When reheating smash burger tacos, warm them up in an oven at 350 F. They should take 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?