Fresh, bright, and full of wham-bam flavors, Ina Garten’s corn salad is the perfect dish to serve at any gathering!
The beloved Barefoot Contessa has done it again.
Her corn salad recipe is an absolute staple that will make you crave more with every bite.
This salad shines best when it’s served alongside all your favorite barbecue dishes.
Ina Garten Corn Salad
Ina Garten’s corn salad is a super refreshing and easy-to-make dish that screams summer!
With its juicy corn kernels, zesty red onions, and fresh basil leaves, this salad is bursting with flavor in every bite.
If you’re not familiar, Ina Garten is a beloved American cookbook author, TV personality, and home cook extraordinaire.
You might know her as the “Barefoot Contessa,” which is also the name of her popular cooking show. She’s the mastermind behind this fabulous corn salad.
First things first, let’s talk about the star ingredient: corn. We all know that corn is delicious on its own, but when you add a few simple ingredients, magic happens.
The sweetness of the corn is balanced perfectly with the tang of the cider vinegar. And fresh basil adds a burst of irresistible freshness.
You can serve it alongside some grilled meat for a full meal. Or simply toss it into a bowl and serve it as a side dish.
It’s also perfect for a picnic or potluck, as it travels well and can be made ahead of time.
One thing to keep in mind when making this dish is to use the freshest ingredients possible.
Try using fresh corn that you’ve just shucked yourself. And go for high-quality olive oil and cider vinegar. Trust me, it makes all the difference.
Another tip when making this dish is to cut the kernels off the cob as close to the cob as possible. That way, you get all of the sweet, juicy kernels without any of the tough, fibrous bits.
But let’s be honest, the real star of this salad is the fresh basil. It adds a pop of color to the salad. But it also gives it a fresh, summery flavor that can’t be topped.
When serving the salad, you can’t go wrong with a big, beautiful bowl. The vibrant colors are sure to impress your guests. And the fresh flavors will have them coming back for seconds (and maybe even thirds).
So, whether you’re hosting a backyard BBQ or want to enjoy a light lunch, this salad is sure to hit the spot.
Grab some fresh corn, get to shucking, and let’s get cooking!
- Corn: The star ingredient. You want 5 ears of corn, shucked. Go for yellow corn over white corn. It makes for a prettier salad.
- Red onion: Be sure it’s finely diced. You can always substitute this for green onion if you like.
- Cider vinegar: This is the zing the salad needs to shine. White wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar work, too.
- Olive oil: Go for a good quality olive oil. It makes all the difference.
- Salt and black pepper: To taste.
- Basil leaves: Go for fresh basil leaves and julienne them finely. This adds a lovely pop of freshness to the salad.
How to Make Ina Garten Corn Salad
- Cook the corn. Fill a large pot with water and add some salt to it. Once the water is boiling, add the corn and let it cook for about 3 minutes until the starchiness is gone.
- Cool the corn. Once the corn is cooked, drain it and then quickly place it in a bowl of ice water. This will stop the cooking process and help set the color.
- Cut the corn off the cob. Once the corn is cool, grab a sharp knife and carefully slice off the kernels as close to the cob as possible. Be careful not to cut yourself!
- Make the dressing. In a large bowl, toss the corn kernels with some red onions, cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Mix everything together until it’s well-coated.
- Add some flavor. Just before serving, add some fresh basil leaves to the bowl and give it a good toss. Be sure to taste it and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Enjoy! Serve the salad cold or at room temperature and enjoy.
Tips for the Best Corn Salad
To make the best corn salad possible, follow these simple tips:
- Cut the basil into uniform pieces. Stack the fresh basil leaves, roll them tightly, and slice them with a sharp knife into uniformly sized pieces.
- Use fresh corn cobs instead of frozen corn for the tastiest salad.
- Avoid overcooking the corn to keep its fresh flavor intact.
- If you don’t want to blanch the corn in ice water, you can simply let it cool for about 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Experiment with different flavors by tossing in some fresh tomatoes, zucchini, or crumbled feta cheese into the salad.
- Allow the dressed salad to marinate for an hour to enhance the flavors. This extra time will help to bring out the fresh taste of the corn salad.
- To cut corn off the cob, lay the corn down on a cutting board and slice off a strip of kernels lengthwise with a sharp knife. Rotate the cob so the flat side faces down on the board and continue the process until all the kernels are removed.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?