Make KFC Coleslaw in your very own kitchen! This copycat recipe is surprisingly close to the original. Best of all, it takes less than 10 minutes to make!
Coleslaw is the ultimate summer side. It goes with just about anything and it’s perfect for picnics, potlucks, and family gatherings.
This copycat recipe is just as satisfyingly zesty and crunchy as the KFC original, but you can have it in the comfort of your own home, or impress friends at your next potluck.
When summer rolls around, there’s nothing quite like a sweet, slightly tangy, and oh so creamy coleslaw!
Pair it up with fried chicken, BBQ, baked beans, corn on the cob, watermelon, and you’ve got the perfect backyard BBQ.
Growing up, going to Kentucky Fried Chicken was an extra special treat. Even now, just the thought of that juicy fried chicken and creamy coleslaw makes my mouth start to water.
In fact, I remember seeing buckets of KFC fried chicken whenever we’d go to any sort of gathering. But I haven’t seen that in quite a while.
The truth is, I haven’t been to KFC in years. But I still get a hankering for that crispy fried chicken and creamy coleslaw. I mean… has there ever been a more satisfying combo?
And with a few simple ingredients, you can make this classic recipe at home!
KFC Coleslaw Ingredients
Chopped Cabbage – The base of every good coleslaw recipe. I always use a food processor to chop it up quickly. But you can also use pre-shredded cabbage in the bag to save time.
Carrots – Who says eating veggies can’t be fun!
Mayonnaise – Makes for a creamy coleslaw, especially when you combine it with whole milk and buttermilk.
Milk – Another key to the creamy goodness in this recipe.
Buttermilk – You can also make your own buttermilk using milk and lemon juice or vinegar.
Sugar – I know this isn’t a secret ingredient, but it’s key to getting that true KFC flavor. And certainly one of the reasons why it’s oh so good!
Lemon Juice – Makes this KFC copycat uniquely refreshing.
Salt – Brings out the flavors of the other ingredients.
Pepper – Just a pinch will do.
Finely chopped onion – Just a little goes a long ways, but it gives this coleslaw that uniquely KFC flavor.
What to Serve with Coleslaw
You can serve coleslaw with just about anything. But it pairs really well with fried chicken, pulled pork, baked beans, mac and cheese, watermelon, and buttery corn on the cob.
Pretty much anything that you would serve at a summer BBQ.
For a tasty bite-size dessert, you can never go wrong with brownies or chocolate chip cookies.
How Long Does Coleslaw Last?
Coleslaw will last for up to 5 days in the fridge. Be sure to store it in an airtight container. Always stir before serving for best results.
Tips & Tricks
- Be sure to let the coleslaw chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 to 8 hours. Overnight is be even better. This gives plenty of time for all those flavors to blend together.
- Get some buttermilk powder for any recipes that require buttermilk. This way you won’t have to throw out half used store-bought liquid buttermilk. You can also make your own buttermilk using milk and lemon juice or vinegar.
- If you prefer Miracle Whip over mayonnaise, use less sugar in your dressing since Miracle Whip is already quite sweet.
- Try grating the onion to get it super small. Unless you’re an expert at chopping onions, the pieces might be too big and can overpower some of the coleslaw’s other flavors.
- Use a food processor to shred your head of cabbage in record time. Or, for a quick and easy alternative, you can always use a store-bought bagged coleslaw mix instead of chopping your own cabbage and carrots.
- If you have any leftover dressing (or make extra on purpose) it’s great on sandwiches. You can even use it as a dip for fresh or grilled veggies, or even grilled meats. Yum!
How to Make KFC Coleslaw
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?