This copycat recipe for Cosmic Brownies are rich, fudgy, and covered with bright little sprinkles. They taste just like the original. Dare I say better! Because baked goods always taste best when they’re pulled right out of the oven.
Homemade Cosmic Brownies
Remember eating Little Debbie treats as a kid? When I was growing up, they were one of my favorites. My mom always baked treats at home, so whenever we got the chance for store-bought, it was truly a special occasion.
Of course, now I always enjoy baking at home far more than the store-bought brands. But as a kid, those Little Debbie’s were a special treat.
And now you can recreate these Intergalactic treats in your very own kitchen. Even now, eating these sugary desserts fills me with so much nostalgia. But this recipe for a homemade version is so much better!
Maybe I just have better taste as an adult, but these chocolatey brownies are so moist and chewy, the creamy ganache frosting is to die for, and the candy sprinkles make these brownies truly cosmic!
What Are Cosmic Brownies?
The original Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies were these super sweet, fudgy brownies topped with chocolate frosting and rainbow sprinkles.
Our version looks just the same as those plastic-wrapped store goodies, but the real chocolate tastes so much more rich and delightful! With no artificial ingredients or preservatives, these decadent brownies definitely beat out the store version.
It also makes for a great basic brownie recipe. Even if you don’t want to go all out with the thick ganache, you can still have super moist, dense, and scrumptious brownies.
Plus, you can make these fudgy treats in just 35 minutes. Just don’t expect them to last long. These are loved by kids and adults alike.
How to Store Your Brownies
Storing your Cosmic Brownies in the refrigerator will help the frosting stay set and make the brownies last as long as possible. In an airtight container, they will keep for about a week out on the counter, and about two weeks in the fridge.
I usually prefer these fudgy brownies chilled, but if you don’t like the cold you can always let them sit for 10 or 15 minutes at room temperature before you serve them.
Can You Freeze Brownies?
Brownies are one of the easiest treats to freeze, and they stay tasting great even after defrosting. Cosmic Brownies will last for up to two months in the freezer as long as you store them correctly.
I suggest cutting the brownies into individual slices and wrapping each one with plastic wrap. Then you can store them all together in the freezer in a resealable bag.
This makes defrosting and snacking on your new favorite brownies so simple! When you’re ready to eat them, just thaw at room temperature.
Tips & Tricks for the Best Cosmic Brownies
- You can find the same candy coated sprinkles that Little Debbie uses online, at your local grocery, or at a craft store. Most recipes use Wilton’s Rainbow Chip Crunch. If you can’t find them or prefer something different, try mini chocolate chips, any type of colorful sprinkle, or even M&Ms!
- Remember to use chopped bars of chocolate for the frosting rather than chocolate chips. Chocolate chips don’t melt as smoothly, so your ganache won’t have that lovely, creamy texture.
- Using quality chocolate will get you the best results. Ghirardelli chocolate is a great option for super rich brownies. Using Dutch process cocoa is also going to result in the best flavor and texture. Hershey’s Dark Cocoa Powder is a good example of Dutch process cocoa.
- I suggest watching your brownies closely as they bake, and slightly under-baking them. Pull them out as soon as your toothpick test is clear or they might turn out more cake-like and less flavorful.
- Also, don’t over-mix. Again this will make your brownies more like cake and less fudge-y and delicious.
- If you live at a high elevation, or where the air is super dry, like me, then add an extra egg to the recipe or use extra large eggs. Eggs add more moisture and help give your Cosmic Brownies that extra thickness and smooth texture.
- A neat trick for any brownie recipe – preheat a cookie sheet while the oven heats up and then place your brownie pan on the cookie sheet. This will prevent the bottoms of the brownies from baking faster than the rest and burning.
- Did you know that light in color, shiny pans conduct heat the most evenly? Using these will produce the best results for any baking. If you only have darker pans or glass baking dishes, just reduce the temperature by a few degrees to prevent the edges overbaking.
How to Make Cosmic Brownies
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?