Crispy, crunchy, and flavorful, air fryer kale chips are a healthy way to scratch that itch for potato chips.
They’re just as satisfying and far more easy. Go on, munch on them until your heart’s content. This snack is guilt-free!
Air Fryer Kale Chips
I used to bake kale chips in the oven to yield crispy results without needing oil. The only downside is, it takes so long.
Enter the air fryer. With this handy appliance, you’ll get the most addictive crispy kale chips in as fast as 8 minutes!
Plus, they’re about a thousand times healthier than your average greasy potato chip bag. So you can finally snack happily.
Move over Lays and Ruffles. Kale chips are in and here to stay.
These crunch-worthy chips only call for a few ingredients. Here’s the list:
- Kale – For me, curly kale leaves work best because the edges help hold the seasonings. But you can also use other kale types such as dinosaur, red Russian, and Chinese kale.
- Oil – I like using olive oil, but coconut and avocado oil work, too. Just as little as 2 tablespoons can make the leaves extra crispy. However, it’s 100% optional. If you’re on a strict, no-fat diet, by all means, skip this ingredient.
- Salt and Pepper – Simple seasonings that add spectacular flavor.
- Garlic and Onion Powders – This flavor combination makes the leaves as addictive as your favorite potato chips!
Prepping the Kale
You can either use full kale leaves or buy bags of pre-chopped kale.
If you’re using full leaves, start by chopping off the ribs. Aside from being tough, they’re also bitter and take longer to cook.
Roughly chop the kale into bite-sized pieces.
Next, you have to clean them. Rinse and dry the leaves with a salad spinner.
If you don’t have a salad spinner, place the kale leaves in a colander and run them under water.
Lay them out on a kitchen towel and pat them dry.
How To Make Air Fryer Kale Chips
Air fryer kale chips are so easy to make. So much so, you’ll find yourself making them all the time!
Just follow these steps:
1. Prep the kale. Chop the leaves into bite-sized pieces and discard the stems. Rinse the leaves and dry them well. Then toss the kale in oil.
2. Make the seasoning. Mix the garlic powder, salt, onion powder, and pepper.
3. Season the kale. Pour the seasoning mix over the kale and toss until coated.
4. Air fry the kale. Place the kale in the air fryer basket. Air fry at 360 degrees Fahrenheit for 6 minutes. Shake the basket to move the leaves around. Cook for another 2 minutes or until crispy.
5. Cool the chips. Transfer the chips onto a baking sheet to cool. Arrange them in a single layer to prevent them from steaming.
6. Enjoy. Season the chips with more salt, if needed. Enjoy immediately.
Tips for the Best Chips
For the ultimate crunchy chips, follow these tips. I also threw in some of my favorite flavor variations I know you’ll love.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket. Hot air needs to circulate in the basket to cook the kale. Just cook the leaves in batches if they don’t fit.
- Cover the leaves. Sometimes, the leaves can fly around the air fryer because they’re so light. In this case, cover them with an air fryer rack or a trivet.
- Don’t forget to shake. Shake the basket after 5 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Experiment with seasonings. Try different dried herbs, spices, and seasonings for more flavor! You could try a dry ranch mix, nutritional yeast, cheese powder, Italian seasoning, Indian spices, and more.
- Season after you air fry. Season the chips post-cooking with coarse salt and grated parmesan cheese. It’s absolutely delicious!
- Serve with a dipping sauce. Garlic herb yogurt sauce tastes amazing with these chips! But opt for your favorite.
My last tip is to try these air fryer zucchini chips next! They’re crunchy, cheesy, and perfect for snacking.
How to Store Kale Chips
I love having leftover kale chips on hand. They’re great for snacking smart and healthy.
If you plan on making a big batch, just follow these storing steps:
To Store: Place cooled kale chips in an airtight container. Store them at room temperature for up to 2 days.
To Reheat: If they lose their crunch, air fry them for 1 to 2 minutes.
More Air Fryer Recipes to Try
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?