One of my favorite menu items to order when we go out is Applebee’s Fiesta Lime Chicken.
This amazing dish has every delicious flavor and texture you can ever ask for!
But did you know that with a few simple ingredients, you can make this scrumptious dish at home?
If you’re looking for the perfect recipe to impress your family and friends, this is your lucky day!
Trust me, this Applebee’s Fiesta Lime Chicken is so good, it tastes better than the original.
Applebee’s Fiesta Lime Chicken
Let’s break down what goes on in this dish. At the very bottom is a layer of crunchy crushed corn chips. That alone already tells you this dish is epic.
Next up is tender and juicy chicken that’s unbelievably flavorful. It’s sweet, spicy, tangy all at the same time.
Then, there’s the dressing. A combo of mayonnaise, sour cream, and salsa makes an irresistible sauce that I honestly can eat on its own.
It doesn’t end there. To top it all off is a bed of hot and bubbly melted cheese waiting to be devoured.
I mean. It’s not called fiesta chicken for no reason!
Sure, this recipe calls for a lot of ingredients, but they’re all so basic I bet you have them lying around in the kitchen right now.
- Corn Chips. The crunchy element found at the bottom of the dish. Think of it as a crust, if you will.
- Chicken Breast – Why, it’s the star of the dish! Applebee’s uses chicken breasts, so that’s also what this recipe calls for. But you’re free to use other cuts of chicken, too. I like to use tenders and thigh fillets because they are packed with flavor.
- The Marinade – A combination of sweet, tangy, herby, salty, and smoky ingredients that will make the chicken mind-blowingly delicious!
- Teriyaki Sauce – For that element of sweetness.
- Lime Juice – It’s called Fiesta Lime Chicken, after all! The lime provides a tangy contrast to the sweet teriyaki.
- Garlic and ginger – For that wonderfully spicy and pungent flavor.
- Tequila – Because when there’s lime, there should be tequila.
- Liquid Smoke – For a hint of smokiness.
- The Dressing – An ultra-creamy sauce that adds richness to the chicken.
- Sour cream
- Cajun Blackened Spice Mix
- Dried Parsley
- Hot Sauce
- Dried Dill Weed
- Colby-Monterey Jack cheese – Because everything tastes great with cheese! This recipe uses Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, but you can use other types, too. The key is to pick a cheese with a good melting potential, such as cheddar, mozzarella, or gruyere.
Tips for the Best Chicken
- Let the chicken marinate for a while before grilling. I know you can’t wait to get a bite of this dish, but this step is crucial. Letting the chicken sit for at least 2 hours allows it to absorb all the amazing ingredients in the marinade.
- Give the chicken a good pounding to get even slices. Even slices yield evenly cooked meat, which means you won’t get chicken that’s cooked on certain parts and bloody on others. It also helps make the chicken super tender!
For this step, place the chicken inside a freezer-safe bag, and pound with a mallet.
- Do not slice the chicken right away. Give it time – about 5 minutes – to reabsorb all the juices it’s released while cooking. That way, you’ll get a nice and juicy bite.
- The best way to check for doneness is to use a meat thermometer. When it read s165 degrees Fahrenheit, congratulations! Your chicken is done.
Best Sides for Applebee’s Fiesta Lime Chicken
This is such a versatile dish that you can pair it with almost anything. Here are some side dishes to choose from:
- Rice. I’m a huge fan of rice with chicken! Together, they make such a hearty and satisfying meal. It’s perfect for when you need that extra boost of energy.
- Salad. With all of that cheese on top, it’s no secret that this dish is packed with umami goodness. If it’s way too rich for you, pair it with a light and refreshing salad. Use a vinaigrette dressing to help dial down the richness of the cheese.
- Vegetables. Whether it’s mashed potatoes or baked asparagus or roasted cauliflower, you can’t go wrong. Lime chicken tastes amazing with any veggie dish.
- Fruit. Give your meal a wonderful balance of flavors by pairing lime chicken with a slice of fruit. Any fruit will do – it could be bananas, grapes, kiwi, pineapple – so take your pick. Can’t decide with just one? Pair it with a medley of fruits! You can even drizzle them with honey for extra flavor.
Other Dishes to Make with This
Applebee’s Fiesta Lime Chicken is the definition of summer perfection.
Here’s another awesome thing about it: you can easily transform it into other dishes. Dinner has never been this exciting!
Here are some dishes you can make with it:
- Tacos, Enchiladas, Quesadillas, Burritos, and Burrito Bowls. All you’ll need are tortillas, cheese, beans, sour cream, salsa, and guacamole, and your Mexican feast is complete.
- Nachos. It’s the same concept as above, but with an added crunch. Place tortilla chips, cheese, beans, salsa, and lime chicken in one bowl and devour it like no one’s looking!
- Chicken Salad. Trying to cut back on the calories? Slice up some lime chicken and top it on a bed of lettuce. Toss in your favorite salad add-ins and dressing, and voila!
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich. Place it in between two slices of bread, and you’ll have a hearty dinner. It’s so simple, yet spectacular at the same time.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?