If you’ve never had it, Melt in Your Mouth Chicken is a classic dish that transforms boring chicken breast into a superb dinner.
Chicken breast isn’t exactly my number one choice of meat, but this recipe has completely changed my mind.
A blend of mayo, parmesan, and seasonings guarantees unbelievably moist and tender chicken that literally melts in your mouth.
This is chicken heaven! Sure, it’s not the healthiest way to cook chicken, but come on, live a little!
Indulge yourself once in a while. Trust me, it’s worth every calorie.
Do you know what else makes this dish a must-try? It’s effortless to make. Just 5 minutes of prep, and the oven takes care of the rest.
If you only cook one thing this week, let it be this. Melt in Your Mouth Chicken is a definite show-stopper.
Melt In Your Mouth Chicken
Melt in Your Mouth Chicken is a classic recipe that’s been around for ages. Its origins are unclear, but I’m glad whoever came up with it did.
The idea of topping chicken breast with mayo and parmesan is pure genius! The mixture turns beautifully golden post-baking, and it smells phenomenal, too.
The flavor is so rich, so creamy, and so addictive!
More importantly… OMG… the chicken is insanely tender and moist! That’s something that’s hard to come by with baked chicken breast.
Best of all, this recipe is impossible to mess up. Even if you’re a newbie in the kitchen, you can easily pull it off.
If you’re looking for a dish to shock and impress your family and friends, this is the one.
- Chicken Breast – The star of the dish. Chicken breast is the most traditional cut for this recipe, but I’ve tried it with tenders and thigh fillets and they work just fine, too. In fact, they’re more tender and flavorful. Keep in mind that the baking time will vary depending on the thickness of the chicken, so adjust accordingly.
- Mayonnaise – The main ingredient for the topping. Apart from flavor, it also helps prevent the chicken from drying out in the oven. Have diet restrictions? You can swap it out with Greek yogurt and sour cream.
- Parmesan – Because you can never go wrong with chicken and cheese! Aside from parmesan, you can also use gruyere, sharp cheddar, asiago, or mozzarella.
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder – To add flavor to the topping. Feel free to add more herbs and seasonings to suit your taste.
Tips for the Best Chicken
- Get a block of parmesan and grate it yourself. Pre-grated parmesan won’t melt as well as freshly-grated cheese. It’s pricier, too!
- No one wants over or under-cooked chicken. Be sure it’s cooked all the way through by checking it with a meat thermometer. The temperature should read 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When it comes to chicken, there’s no such thing as an exact length of baking. The duration varies depending on how thick or thin the meat is. This is why a meat thermometer is extra handy.
- If you want extra flavor and moisture in the chicken, coat it with seasonings and let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- This recipe is a great make-ahead dish. Make the topping, spread it over the chicken, cover the baking dish in plastic wrap, and refrigerate. You can prepare the dish up to a day in advance. Pop it in the oven when you’re ready to bake!
- This recipe calls for only three seasonings: salt, pepper, and garlic powder. That already yields pretty flavorful meat, but you can more herbs and seasonings as you please. Thyme, rosemary, cumin, Italian seasoning, paprika, and lemon slices all add great flavor to the chicken. Have fun with it, and feel free to mix and match!
- Did your dish turn out too runny? That’s okay, it happens. Chicken releases its juices during baking, and all of it gets stuck in the baking dish. Here are some ways to avoid having too much juice:
- Do not overcrowd the baking dish. If you’re doubling the recipe, make sure to use a bigger dish.
- Pan-sear the chicken beforehand. This will seal in the juices, preventing them from leaking out during baking.
- If, despite all these efforts, the dish is still runny, simply drain the liquid.
What To Serve with Chicken
As tasty as MIYM chicken is, it’s hardly a complete meal. Round out your dinner with these awesome sides.
The dish is super creamy, so you’ll want light and refreshing sides to balance out the richness.
Any veggie dish, such as oven-roasted cauliflower and broccoli, baked potatoes, steamed asparagus, garden salad, or baked Brussels sprouts all make great options.
Feeling extra hungry? Serve the chicken over a bowl of white rice or buttered noodles. It’s a simple pairing, but believe me, it’s so good, you’ll want to have seconds.
What Does the Mayo Do?
Aside from forming a rich and creamy sauce, mayo plays another crucial role in this dish.
Without it, the chicken breast will dry up as it bakes, resulting in tough and dry meat.
Mayo is the best way to keep the chicken moist and tender, so do not skip it! If you can’t stand it, you can use Greek yogurt or sour cream instead.
More Chicken Recipes You’ll Enjoy
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?