Looking for a classic American lunch or dinner that’s ready in no time? Say hello to Texas Toast Sloppy Joes!
Think of these as open-faced Sloppy Joe sandwiches with plenty of melted cheese on top.
It’s the same delicious Sloppy Joe mixture you’re used to. But instead of buns, you smother it over thick toasted bread. It’s topped with melted cheese, to boot!
Texas Toast Sloppy Joes
Texas toast sloppy joes are a classic comfort food loved by kids and adults alike. Loaded with savory flavor and cheesy goodness!
For starters, the sauce is just to die for. The blend of ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and garlic salt creates a beautiful balance of flavors.
It’s the perfect combination of sweet, tangy, smoky, and savory. Couple that with the creamy cheese and crunchy toast, and you have a recipe made in heaven.
The best part? They come together in just 35 minutes.
With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up this scrumptious meal.
- Extra-Lean Ground Beef – The base of your sandwich! Using extra-lean beef makes the sauce less greasy.
- Onion and Green Bell Pepper – They add flavor, crunch, and texture to the Sloppy Joes.
- Ketchup – To balance out the tanginess of the sauce.
- Brown Sugar – To give the sandwiches a little sweetness.
- Worcestershire Sauce – It adds the umami taste we all know and love.
- Yellow Mustard – Mustard brings a bit of earthiness to the flavor of the Sloppy Joes.
- Garlic Sauce – Because everything’s better with a little garlic in the mix!
- Hot Sauce – For a nice kick of heat. Adding hot sauce is optional if you aren’t a fan of spicy foods.
- Texas Toast Bread – It’s thick, hearty, and can stand up to the delicious filling!
- American Cheese – To achieve perfect, melty perfection on top of your Sloppy Joes.
How to Make Texas Toast Sloppy Joes
Follow these easy steps to make this winner of a dinner.
- Add the ground beef to a 12-inch skillet. Cook it over medium heat. Stir until the beef is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain the excess grease.
- Stir in the chopped onion and bell pepper. Continue to cook until the vegetables are softened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Mix in the ketchup, water, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Also, add the mustard and hot sauce. Reduce the heat to low and cook it, covered, until it’s thick, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Turn on the broiler in your oven. Place the bread slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil them for 4 to 6 minutes, flipping them over midway or until toasted.
- Top each bread piece with a slice of cheese. Continue to broil until the cheese is melted.
- Top each bread slice with beef mixture and another slice of cheese. Broil them for 1 minute or until the cheese is melted. Serve them hot. Enjoy!
How Do I Thicken Sloppy Joe Sauce?
If your beef mixture is looking a little too watery, don’t panic. Just let it simmer longer and leave the pot uncovered. It’ll thicken up in just a few minutes.
Also, remember the mixture will continue to thicken as it rests, so there’s nothing to worry about.
What’s the Difference Between Manwich and Sloppy Joes?
Manwich is a brand name for a Sloppy Joe sauce made by Hunt’s. The canned sauce is marketed as an easier approach to making the sandwiches.
What to Serve with Sloppy Joes
These sandwiches are already super filling. But if you want an even more substantial meal, these side dishes make the perfect pair.
- Baked Beans: Is there a more classic combo than Sloppy Joes and baked beans? This duo is the ultimate comfort food.
- Potato Chips: This isn’t the healthiest of options, but hey, live a little! Just open a bag of your favorite chips, and voila.
- Mac and Cheese: Creamy and ooey-gooey mac and cheese served with meaty Sloppy Joes? How can anyone say no to that?
- Dill Pickles: These crunchy, tangy bites are ideal if you find Sloppy Joes to be way too rich. The pickles easily counterbalance that intense umami flavor.
- Corn on the Cob: Sloppy Joes and corn on the cob make an excellent summer picnic combo. The corn brightens and lightens up the rich and heavy sandwiches wonderfully well.
Looking for more food pairing ideas? Check out more delicious Sloppy Joe side dish options!
Tips & Tricks
These sandwiches are delicious as is. But these tips will make them even better!
- Give it a healthy twist. Use ground turkey instead of beef if you’re going for a healthier meal. You can also mix turkey and beef for a good balance of fat and lean.
- Butter it up. Buttering the bread first makes it toastier and so much tastier.
- Lose the lid. Take the lid off for a thicker sauce. This will allow more liquid to evaporate. Be sure to keep a close eye on it. If too much of the sauce reduces, you’ll have a dry mixture.
- Take the lazy route. Short on time? Transfer the beef mixture from the skillet into the Crockpot and cook it on low for 4 to 6 hours or high for 2 to 3.
- Add a pop of color. Make the Sloppy Joe sandwiches more presentable with a sprinkling of parsley on top.
Sloppy Joe Variations
Try these fun variations to take your Sloppy Joes over the top.
- Take an Italian spin. Use marinara sauce instead of the ketchup, mustard, and sugar. And use Italian sausage crumbles instead of ground beef.
- Don’t stress if you can’t find Texas Toast. Use regular buns, brioche, or whatever your favorite bread is instead. As long as it can handle the meat mixture without falling apart, it’ll work.
- Get super cheesy. These Sloppy Joes already have two layers of American cheese. Make them even cheesier with ooey, gooey, stringy mozzarella.
- Try a BBQ twist. Reduce the ketchup in half and add your favorite BBQ sauce. Remember, you may need to reduce the amount of brown sugar depending on how sweet the BBQ sauce is.
- Crank up the heat. Throw in chopped jalapenos, cumin, chipotle powder, or chili flakes.
- Max out the veggies. Give more nutritional value to the beef mixture by adding diced carrots, zucchini, and sun-dried tomatoes. (I swear, the kids won’t even notice.)
- Get boozy with it. For more acidity, pour a bit of red wine in there. It balances out the sweetness from the brown sugar, resulting in well-balanced flavors.
How to Store
It’s easy to store your Sloppy Joes so you can enjoy them later in the week!
To Store: Store the Sloppy Joe mixture in an air-tight container and refrigerate it for up to 4 days.
To Reheat: When reheating, add a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce and water to keep the sauce from drying out.
More Meaty Recipes You’ll Love
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?