This copycat recipe for Cracker Barrel biscuits brings that famous homemade taste right into your own kitchen.
I love eating at restaurants, but it can get expensive. So, I often turn to copycat recipes to make my favorite meals at home.
These famous biscuits from everyone’s favorite old country store are spot-on. They’re buttery, self-rising, and totally delicious.
Cracker Barrel Biscuits
Do you love buttery, flaky, golden brown biscuits? Of course you do! Who doesn’t?! These copycat Cracker Barrel biscuits are all of those things and more.
In fact, I think they taste even better than the ones you get at the restaurant. They’re also wonderfully simple to make.
You’ll need four ingredients and less than 30 minutes. That’s all it takes to whip up these hot, mouthwatering Cracker Barrel biscuits.
Southerners take their biscuit recipes seriously. There have been and will always be disagreements about the best way to make the perfect biscuit.
But the one thing everyone can agree on is that less is more. For this recipe, you’ll need only the bare minimum:
- Bisquick. Bisquick is a time-saving game-changer for so many recipes, including this one. It eliminates all the standard baking ingredients most biscuit recipes require.
- Buttermilk. Store-bought works great, but you can also make your own. Check out the section below for more details.
- Sugar. It rounds out the dough’s flavor without making it too sweet.
- Butter. You’ll need a tablespoon for the dough, and another to brush over the top of the biscuits. I like salted, but unsalted is also fine.
Tips for Making Biscuits
Making biscuits isn’t difficult once you get a feel for the dough. While most doughs require extensive kneading, biscuits are the opposite.
Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect biscuits:
- Don’t overwork this dough. If you do, your biscuits will be tough. Knead for about 20 times or until the ingredients are just combined. It won’t be perfectly smooth like bread or pasta dough.
- Add extra flour as needed. Your dough shouldn’t be sticky, and your hands should come away clean when you touch it. That may require a bit of extra flour.
- No rolling pin? Use your hands! Simply pat the dough out until it reaches your preferred thickness.
- Don’t toss out the leftovers! These reheat wonderfully and will taste like they’re fresh out of the oven. Cut them in half and butter the insides. Then, put them on a cookie sheet and broil until just heated through.
What To Serve with Cracker Barrel Biscuits
What’s great about biscuits is that you can serve them a different way every time you make a batch. They work well for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner!
Here are a few of my favorite things to serve with them:
- Jam or jelly. Whether store-bought or homemade, you can’t go wrong.
- Gravy. My absolute favorite way to eat biscuits is smothered with sausage gravy. It’s a quick and easy way to feed a crowd. Chocolate gravy is good, too.
- Eggs. Scramble them, fry them, or boil them! Just serve them with a side of buttery biscuits.
- Butter or flavored butter. Garlic butter is an excellent choice if your meal is savory. If you want something sweeter, try cinnamon honey butter instead.
- Meat. Pork chops, tenderloin, chicken, or even steak — biscuits always make a meal complete. And, of course, breakfast meats always make a good pair.
How To Make Buttermilk
If you’re like me, you don’t usually keep buttermilk on hand. That can make it hard if you have a craving for these Cracker Barrel biscuits.
The good news is you have a couple of options. If you know you will be making biscuits often, keeping powdered buttermilk on hand is a good idea.
Simply mix it with water when you’re ready to start cooking.
Another option is to make homemade buttermilk. Here’s how:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar with 1 cup of milk.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes.
- The lemon juice (or vinegar) will curdle the milk to make buttermilk!
This recipe only needs 2/3 cups of buttermilk, so you will have a tad extra.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?