This Cracker Barrel double chocolate fudge coca-cola cake is rich, creamy and best served with a side of vanilla ice cream.
With this copycat recipe, you can make Cracker Barrel’s famous coca cola cake in the comfort of your home. With enough to serve the whole family!Pin This Recipe
Why Is It Called Coca Cola Cake?
Some people might find it unusual, but this chocolate cake recipe calls for a cup of Coca-Cola. Which for many, might sound a bit strange. But try it out – and I promise you’ll never go back. It makes the traditional chocolate cake just a little more special.
When it comes to baking, every ingredient makes a difference. In this recipe, the Coke enhances the flavor of the cocoa powder, making it taste even more chocolaty.
Tips & Tricks
- Poke holes on the cake after baking, right before adding the frosting. That way, the frosting will seep down into the cake, making it extra fudgy and moist.
- Don’t like Coke? No problem! You can use other sodas such as root beer, Dr. Pepper, and Pepsi, as an alternative.
- Since baking is an exact science, measure your ingredients as accurately as possible.
- If you do not have salted butter available, you may use unsalted butter, but add a teaspoon of salt to the mix.
- While we set the baking time to 30 minutes, the doneness of the cake still depends on your oven. Test using a toothpick or skewer to know if the cake is done.
- Warm the cake in the microwave for a few seconds and top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for that extra oomph!
History of Cracker Barrel and the Coca Cola Cake
Cracker Barrel’s Chocolate Coca-Cola cake began as a happy accident. How on earth did a famous soda become a key ingredient to a chocolate cake? Well, here’s the story.
It was 1997 when Cracker Barrel decided they wanted to incorporate Coke into more on their recipes. They had a long-standing relationship with Coke. And while Coca-Cola was becoming a common ingredient in savory dishes such as roasts and stews, it had never been used in a dessert. So Cracker Barrel felt it would make an interesting addition to their menu.
So, they asked a manufacturer to experiment on chocolate cake batters infused with Coke. To their surprise, the cake batter they received was even richer, denser, and darker than the one they created in their own kitchen.
What they found out later was that the outside company accidentally doubled the amount of cocoa in the recipe. Which resulted in a richer, fudgy, more decadent cake. And, just like that, the Double Chocolate Fudge Coca-Cola Cake was born.
The cake was initially offered periodically in 1997, but because of the high demand for the product, Cracker Barrel added it permanently to their menu in 2009.
You can now buy the entire cake. Which is perfect for potlucks and family get-together’s. Of course it’s also available in single slices. To be enjoyed after your meal or as a midnight snack.
To this day, the original Cracker Barrel recipe remains a secret, but thanks to the above copycat recipe, you can make this rich, decadent dessert at home at a fraction of the cost.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?