Can’t get enough Cracker Barrel fried apples? Make them at home with this copycat recipe!
To be honest, I could eat a whole meal with just sides at the Cracker Barrel. But their fried apples are definitely my favorite.
- ❤️ Cracker Barrel Fried Apples
- ✏️ How to Make Cracker Barrel Fried Apples (Copycat Recipe)
- 👩🍳 Tips for Making Fried Apples
- 🍏 What are the Best Types of Apples for Fried Apples?
- How Do You Thicken Cooked Apples?
- How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- ⭐ How to Serve Cracker Barrel Fried Apples
- More Apple Recipes You’ll Love
- Cracker Barrel Fried Apples
- Looking For More Cracker Barrel Copycat Recipes?
With just a few simple ingredients, you can enjoy this copycat Cracker Barrel recipe in less than 30 minutes.
Enjoy it as a side dish for dinner or dessert! Better yet, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top for something a little more indulgent.
You can serve them on pancakes, waffles, or even pork chops!
With this copycat recipe, you can enjoy southern fried apples anytime you want. Just be sure to make extra! These little slices of heaven disappear quickly.
❤️ Cracker Barrel Fried Apples
Growing up, I spent almost every Friday evening at the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store restaurant. Playing checkers and mastering the 15-hole peg game.
Every time I step into a Cracker Barrel, it takes me right back to my childhood.
I’m a long time fan of their delicious mac and cheese and crispy fried okra. But nothing beats their fried apples.
It’s a heavenly treat that tastes like it came straight from Grandma’s kitchen.
Now you don’t have to wait for a trip down memory lane. Instead, you can make this southern classic at home with this easy Cracker Barrel Fried Apples Recipe!
Guaranteed to become a new family favorite.
Apple juice – Using apple juice rather than just water will impart so much more flavor into your apples.
Golden Delicious apples – The top choice for baking, these apples have a mild flavor and don’t break down as much when cooked.
Cornstarch – This is used as a thickener for the sauce.
Apple pie spice – If you don’t have apple pie spice, you can make a mix of your own using cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
Sugar – This will help caramelization and add a touch of sweetness to the tart apple juice.
✏️ How to Make Cracker Barrel Fried Apples (Copycat Recipe)
This is a quick summary of the instructions. For the complete recipe, just scroll down the to the bottom!
- Peel and core the apples. Cut your apples into wedges, either with an apple cutter or a small knife.
- In a medium-sized skillet, combine two cups of apple juice and the sliced apples. Turn the heat to medium/low until the juice starts to simmer.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring and turning the apples occasionally, until they are fork tender.
- Remove the apples with a slotted spoon and place in an oven safe baking dish.
- Prepare the sauce ingredients. In a blender, combine the remaining 1/2 cup apple juice, apple pie spice, cornstarch, and sugar. Blend a few seconds until smooth.
- Whisk the apple and cornstarch mixture into the hot apple juice. Turn the heat up to medium/high until it begins to bubble. Stir continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the hot sauce over the cooked apples and serve.
👩🍳 Tips for Making Fried Apples
Here are a few tips and tricks to make sure your apples come out perfect every time!
- After you core and slice your apples, squeeze some lemon juice over them to keep them from browning.
- If you don’t have apple pie spice mix on hand, you can use 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon cardamom, and 1/8 tsp allspice.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter and a pinch of salt to really bring out the flavors.
- A great and easy way to make these fried apples is to use a slow cooker! Combine everything in the pot and stir well before cooking on high for two hours.
- Check that the apples are done with a paring knife. You shouldn’t feel any resistance when you poke with the knife.
- Double the recipe! These fried apples are gobbled up fast.
🍏 What are the Best Types of Apples for Fried Apples?
The best apples for frying are those that hold their shape well and don’t turn to mush when exposed to heat. Here are a few varieties that work well.
Golden Delicious – Cracker Barrel uses golden delicious apples for this recipe, and they work so well. The acidity adds a nice balance to the sweetness of the batter.
Granny Smith – Another excellent choice, being both sweet and tart. This is another classic apple for frying.
Honeycrisp – Sweet and juicy. Honeycrisp apples hold up well to frying and maintain their texture and shape without turning too soft or mushy.
Jonagold – This apple is a cross between a Jonathan and a Golden Delicious, with a sweet-tart flavor and firm texture that holds up well to frying.
Braeburn – These apples are firm and slightly tart, making them a good choice for frying. They also have a slightly spicy flavor that pairs well with cinnamon.
Pink Lady – These apples are sweet with a slightly tangy flavor, and hold their shape well when fried. They’re also great for snacking!
How Do You Thicken Cooked Apples?
Want your fried apples even thicker? Here’s an easy fix.
Combine 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water to create a slurry, then stir the slurry into the cooked apples. Cook the apples for an additional minute or two until the mixture thickens.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Fried apples will keep for up to 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Just be sure to let the apples cool completely before placing them in the container.
To reheat, place the apples in a microwave-safe dish and heat them in 30-second increments until they become hot and bubbly.
You can also store your leftover apples in an airtight container (or Ziploc bag) in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat them, thaw them out in the fridge and then warm them up in a saucepan on the stovetop.
⭐ How to Serve Cracker Barrel Fried Apples
These fried apples can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
For breakfast, you can serve them on top of pancakes, waffles, or a warm bowl of oatmeal. They also pair perfectly with french toast and crepes.
For a family dinner, serve them alongside pork chops, roast, or baked ham.
For a sweet and satisfying dessert, top them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and sprinkle with a little granola for the perfect amount of crunch.
More Apple Recipes You’ll Love
Looking For More Cracker Barrel Copycat Recipes?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?