Apple dumplings are the perfect fall treat. But I find them quite heavely all year round.
Who knew that apples, Mountain Dew, and crescent rolls would make such a fantastic combination? Plus, baking these apple dumplings will make your whole house smell heavenly.
Granny Smith apples, lightly sweetened and seasoned, then wrapped in crescent rolls and baked to perfection.
It’s a quick and easy dessert for any occasion. Top it off with a scoop of ice cream and it’s like apple pie without all the hard work.Pin This Recipe [penci_recipe]
Tips & Tricks:
- Use an Apple corer to slice and quarter your apples in one fell swoop
- You can also make these Apple dumplings with Sprite or ginger ale. The three best sodas for Apple dumplings include Sprite, 7-Up, Mountain Dew, or even ginger ale.
- To make your dumplings even more flavorful, coat the apples with cinnamon and sugar before you wrap them.
- While apples are the star of this dish, you can also replace it with another fabulous fruit: peaches! I swear it tastes just like peach cobbler, but it is a lot easier to make. Follow the same recipe instructions, but use peaches instead of apples. You’ll thank me later.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Honestly this combination of sweet and creamy might be my all-time favorite. For an extra divine treat, drizzle with a bit of caramel sauce.
- There are lots of apples that are good for baking. But my favorite choices for Apple dumplings are Granny Smith, Honey Crisp, Gala, and Jonathan. Granny Smith and Honey Crisp retain lots of fresh apple flavor while releasing a minimum amount of juice. They also do a great job of holding their shape after baking.
- Pour the Sprite around the dumplings (not directly on top of them!). This ensures that the cinnamon mixture forms a nice crust on top and prevents the dumplings from coming out soggy.
- When you serve these, be sure to scoop up some of the juice at the bottom of the pan and pour generously over the Apple Dumpling.
- For a healthier version, you can reduce the butter to 1 stick and use 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup Splenda. You can also use Diet Mountain Dew. In fact, they also have reduced fat crescent rolls.
- You still get a delicious treat, but with a lot less calories.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?