I’ll tell you right now, this isn’t your mom’s fried egg sandwich.
Unless your mom’s fried egg sandwich came with a double dose of gooey cheese and bacon, that is.
Even so, this sandwich is one of the best you’ll ever try.
The cheese is warm and melty. The bacon is crispy and salty, and the egg is perfect and delicious.
It’s also quick and easy to make. You can prepare it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner without much time or trouble at all.
And you only need seven ingredients to do it!
Fried Egg Sandwich
There are plenty of ways to make a yummy fried egg sandwich.
You can spread a little mayo on the bread and add nothing but eggs, fried or scrambled.
You can layer it with fried eggs, ham, American cheese, and buttered bread.
Or you can go into ultimate breakfast mode with this saucy, bacon-and-cheese-topped recipe.
I’ve tried and enjoyed them all, but this one is one of the best.
It’s layers of crispy bacon, fried egg, and gooey cheddar on thick sourdough bread.
And the ketchup-chipotle sauce inside is a smoky, spicy masterpiece.
It doesn’t matter what time of day you make this sandwich. It’s a hearty, on-the-go breakfast option that’ll keep you full until lunch.
But you could just as easily enjoy it for lunch or dinner.
You’ll go nuts for its fantastic taste. Plus, you’ll appreciate it even more after you see how effortless it is to make.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Ketchup and chipotle in adobo sauce. The two ingredients you’ll need for the sauce are plain old ketchup and chipotle in adobo sauce. Chipotle in adobo is a delicious mix of smoked and dried jalapenos in tomato sauce. It gives the sandwich an incredibly smoky, Tex-Mex flavor that’s out of this world.
- Bread. Because of the sauce, cheese, and butter, the best bread for this sandwich is something thick. I like to stick to sourdough, but you could go with Texas toast or something similar.
- Cheddar cheese. Again, cheddar is my choice for ultimate cheesiness, but you can choose whatever you like best. I occasionally mix it up with pepper jack instead.
- Butter. Unsalted butter is best. The ketchup and chipotle in adobo sauce both contain salt. So does the bacon. You won’t need salted butter.
- Bacon. Pick your favorite bacon, hickory smoked, applewood, etc.
- Egg. The egg is the star of this show. You can’t have a fried egg sandwich without it!
How to Make a Fried Egg Sandwich
You’ll find the complete list of steps for making this sandwich below.
There are seven, making it seem like a complicated recipe. Trust me, it isn’t.
The seven steps break the recipe down into minute detail. Really, though, it has only three essential components.
1. Make the “grilled cheese” sandwich. Mix the sauces and spread the mixture over the inside pieces of bread.
Then, slap the cheese between the spread-covered slices.
Butter the top of the bread, then put that side down in a skillet warmed over medium heat.
Press down slightly until the cheese melts and the bread turns golden.
Then, butter the clean side (the side facing up) and flip the sandwich. Cook it for another couple of minutes until the cheese is fully melted.
The total cook time for the sandwich should be about 4 minutes.
Set the sandwich aside.
2. Cook the bacon and egg. Heat a second skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon for about 5 minutes.
Then, flip it over and arrange it in a square. Crack the egg on top of it.
Cook it for another 5 minutes or until the egg is set.
3. Combine the sandwich ingredients. Finally, remove the bacon and egg from the skillet.
Open the sandwich, using a spoon to help you if necessary.
Then, slide the bacon and egg into the sandwich before closing it again. Serve it and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Egg Sandwich
A few pro tips to keep in mind:
- Don’t press down on the sandwich if you prefer runny yolks. The yolk will naturally run and brown instead of frying to well done.
- Cover the skillet for well-done eggs. Covering it for just a minute will trap the heat and cook the egg more thoroughly.
- Experiment with breads and cheeses for different flavors. You’d be surprised how much swapping out pepper jack for cheddar can change the overall taste. Using a different type of bread will change the flavor profile, too.
- Pair it with different sides for different meals. Try hash browns or fried potatoes if you’re having this for breakfast. Potato chips, potato salad, or cold pasta salad are good lunch and dinner sides.
Best Bread for an Egg Sandwich
As mentioned, I typically stick to sourdough. However, you have a few other options when it comes to bread. Here are some good ones:
- Texas toast
- Thick slices of artisan bread
- Multi-grain bread
- English muffins
You can use plain sandwich bread if that’s all you have. Generally speaking, though, thicker breads work best.
Best Egg Sandwich Toppings
Regarding toppings, there are no limits to what you can add. Make your sandwich as simple or elaborate as you like.
Jazz it up with sliced tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, and onions. Or keep it simple with just the ingredients listed here.
Other options include:
You don’t have to stick to bacon as your meat, either. Some people substitute ham, fried bologna, or even sausage patties!
And while this might sound a bit out there, try is with a smear of cream cheese.
Trust me, bacon, egg, and cream cheese sandwiches on toasted bread are too goo to miss!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?