The Cuban sandwich might just be the most delicious sandwich you’ll ever taste!
This bad boy is all about the layers, and each one brings its own unique flavor to the party.
The smoked ham and pulled pork will have you drooling in no time.
But that’s not all, folks! This insanely good Cuban sandwich is stuffed to the brim with pickles, mustard, and melted Swiss cheese.
After one bite of this Cuban sandwich, you’ll never look at ham and cheese the same way.
Ah, the Cuban sandwich! Some might even call it the King of all sandwiches.
It’s crispy, cheesy, savory, and it’s oh-so-satisfying. This sandwich is the quintessential representation of Cuban cuisine.
And let me tell you, the Cuban sandwich is not your regular sandwich. It’s a true work of art that’s been perfected over the years.
From the light and airy Cuban bread to the fillings, it’s got just the right amount of meaty, cheesy, tangy goodness.
You can find it on menus in restaurants and cafes from Miami to Tokyo.
So why not give the Cuban sandwich a try? You won’t be sorry.
Here’s everything you’ll need for this mouth-watering sandwich. And be sure not to skip a single ingredient! They all bring a unique flavor profile that works so well together.
- Cuban bread. This bread is light and airy with a thin, crispy crust. It’s perfect for a Cuban sandwich because it holds up well to the hearty fillings.
- Swiss cheese. It’s mild yet flavorful, and a must for a Cuban sandwich.
- Smoked ham. This thinly sliced deli meat is a staple of a Cuban sandwich. It’s salty and savory and pairs perfectly with the other ingredients.
- Pulled pork. The backbone of a Cuban sandwich! It adds a rich, smoky flavor and a meaty texture to the sandwich.
- Dill pickle. A slice of dill pickle adds a super nice tanginess.
- Butter. It adds a rich, buttery flavor and helps the bread get crispy.
- Condiments. A combo of mayonnaise, cayenne pepper, and mustard adds a deliciously tangy and spicy flavor to the Cuban sandwich.
How to Make a Cuban Sandwich
Once you gather the ingredients, the rest is easy peasy. Check out how quickly this sandwich masterpiece comes together.
1. Make the sauce. In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, and cayenne pepper until well combined. This sauce will give your sandwich the perfect kick!
2. Cut the bread. Get your loaf of bread and trim off the ends. Cut it in half to make two sandwiches, and then split each half evenly to make the tops and bottoms.
3. Add the sauce. Spread the mayo-mustard sauce generously on both sides of each half.
4. Layer the filling. Use the following order: two slices of Swiss cheese, three slices of ham, the heated pulled pork, thinly sliced pickles, and two more slices of Swiss cheese.
5. Time to toast. Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Place the sandwiches in the skillet and press them down with a heavy weight. Toast the sandwiches until the bread is crispy and the filling is heated through.
6. Serve and savor! Once cooked, remove the sandwiches from the skillet and serve hot. Now, take a bite and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Cuban Sandwich
Here are some quick tips and tricks to take your sammies over the top.
- Use quality ingredients. Use fresh bread, high-quality deli meats, and good cheese for the best flavor.
- Substitute Cuban bread. If you can’t find Cuban bread, look for a long, wide French or Italian bread that’s fresh and easy to compress.
- Don’t skip the mayo. It helps to prevent dry bread and overpowering mustard. It also adds a rich spreadability to the sandwich. Now’s not the time to count calories.
- Use thinly sliced meats. They’ll cook more evenly and ensure that each bite of the sandwich is as delicious as can be.
- Butter the bread. Spread butter on the outside of the bread before pressing it to give the sandwich a crispy, golden-brown crust.
- Serve it hot. Serve the sandwich hot off the press for the best flavor and texture. Once they set for a while, they lose a little of the magic.
- Experiment with variations. While the classic Cuban sandwich is delicious, feel free to experiment with different meats, cheeses, or condiments.
How to Store & Reheat
Here are some tips to keep your Cubanos fresh and tasty. They make an amazing next-day lunch to bring to the office!
- To Store. Wrap sandwiches tightly in plastic wrap, and pop them in this fridge. They will stay fresh for up to 5 days in the fridge.
- To Freeze. To freeze a Cuban sandwich, prepare it according to the recipe instructions, including grilling. Once the sandwich is cool, place it in an individual freezer bag and squeeze out any excess air. They will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
- To Reheat. Thaw it in the refrigerator, then let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. You can then re-toast the sandwich in a skillet or warm it in the oven. Or, wrap it in foil and bake it in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-7 minutes.
More Sandwich Recipes You’ll Love
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?