One bite of Arby’s chicken salad sandwich, and you’ll be hooked. I mean, what’s not to love?
It’s full of savory and meaty flavors from the chicken with a delightful contrast of sweet apples and juicy grapes. There’s crunch and nuttiness from the buttery pecans, too.
And all that goodness is bound together by creamy mayonnaise, making this the kind of salad I wouldn’t mind eating all day long.
Whether you serve it on bread, in a warm, fresh croissant, or on its own, you really can’t go wrong.
It’s delicious and wonderfully versatile.
But the best part? It couldn’t be simpler to make! In fact, if you have leftover chicken, it comes together in a matter of minutes.
With its creamy-crunchy finish and fun pops of sweetness, Arby’s chicken salad sandwich is the one to beat. And don’t let the name fool you; this is gourmet all the way.
Arby’s Chicken Salad Sandwich
Arby’s chicken salad sandwich is a beautiful chorus of soft bread, creamy chicken salad, and just a hint of fruity goodness.
The salad is loaded with shredded or cubed chicken, pecans, grapes, apples, and celery and coated with mayonnaise.
Think of it as a chicken Waldorf salad served in bread. It’s a delicious and refreshing sandwich that’ll surely satisfy your taste buds.
Just toss the ingredients together, and voila. Lunch is served.
- Chicken Breast – the chicken can be either shredded or cubed – as long as the pieces are small, you’re fine. I like to use leftover rotisserie chicken for this recipe so I won’t have to cook from scratch.
- Mayonnaise – it’s the ingredient that binds everything together.
- Celery – for a lovely crunch and a nice green contrast to the cream salad.
- Pecans – for sweet, nutty flavor and crunch. You can also use chopped walnuts or slivered almonds.
- Red Apples – I like to use Gala apples because they’re super sweet, but any sweet apple works for this recipe.
- Red Grapes – you can also use purple or green grapes, just as long as they’re seedless.
Can I Substitute the Mayo in this Recipe?
Absolutely! Try the following mayo alternatives for variation. The salad will taste different, but delicious just the same:
- A healthy dressing made of light mayo, Greek yogurt, mustard, honey, and your choice of seasonings.
- Greek yogurt is another healthy alternative.
- Sour cream might be on the tart side, but the sweetness of the apples and grapes will balance out its acidity. If it’s too thick, you can thin it out with a bit of milk or yogurt.
- Ranch dressing will always be a good choice.
Tips for Making The Best Sandwich
- Toast the pecans to bring out their flavor. You’ll want them in the oven at a 325-degree-Fahrenheit oven for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Chop the ingredients into small pieces for effortless bites. If the chicken is too big, you won’t get a nice blend of flavors.
- Use sweet apples rather than tart. The sweetness gives a lovely contrast to the savory ingredients.
- Prevent the apple chunks from browning by drizzling lime or lemon juice over them. Of course, if serving this right away, you shouldn’t have to worry about that.
- Use rotisserie, roast, or grilled chicken for more flavor. Leftovers are always welcome and will save you so much time.
- I used wheat bread for this recipe, but I also love the filling with toasted croissants and pretzel buns. That said, it takes great on bagels and fresh white bread too.
- Add more fruits and nuts, such as dried cranberries and candied cashews.
- For more flavor, use other cuts of chicken.
- Instead of chicken, try turkey!
- Give it a little kick with cayenne pepper or curry.
- Add earthiness by seasoning it with thyme, rosemary, and oregano.
- Use light or fat-free mayo, instead or Greek yogurt for somthing lighter.
- For an acidic contrast, add a touch of dijon mustard and a splash of lemon juice.
- Don’t use warm or freshly cooked chicken. This salad is meant to be served cold or at room temperature, at least. So, wait for the chicken to cool completely before slicing.
- Let the chicken salad chill in the fridge for several hours for the flavors to marry. The longer it chills, the tastier it gets.
- Chicken salad will keep well in the fridge for to 3-4 days. Store it in an airtight container or cover it well with plastic wrap.
- Do not freeze chicken salad. The mayonnaise will become watery when thawed, altering the consistency of the salad.
- More ways to serve Arby’s chicken salad:
- Turn the sandwiches into delectable wraps with flour tortillas.
- For a lighter meal, serve the chicken salad over a bed of greens or make lettuce wraps.
- Serve the chicken salad with chips and crackers.
- Grab a spoon and enjoy it on its own.
What to Serve with Chicken Salad Sandwich
As scrumptious and filling as Arby’s chicken salad sandwich is, it’s not enough to fill you up at dinner.
So, pair your sandwich with any (or all) of these sides for a hearty, substantial meal.
The chicken sandwich is already pretty heavy on carbs, protein, and fat. What it lacks are vegetables and roughage.
Let’s remedy that with a light and refreshing salad! The salad ingredients can be whatever greens, veggies, fruits, and nuts you like.
I do suggest a basic balsamic vinaigrette for the dressing, though. You don’t want to overwhelm your palate with another umami-rich sauce.
Give your taste buds something sweet and tart to contrast the richness of the sandwich. A medley of fruits tossed in a peach pie filling will do the trick.
Unlike a cream-based fruit salad, this one is more of a side dish than a dessert.
Mandarin oranges, pineapple, kiwis, and strawberries are both sweet and tart. They offer a refreshing balance to the savory sandwich.
Whether you grab a bag or make your own, chips are always a fantastic pairing to sandwiches.
And if you want something tasty but still relatively healthy, you have to try these crazy-easy kale chips.
They’re crunchy, crispy, and wonderfully salty, which perfectly complements the tenderness of the bread and creaminess of the chicken salad.
Plus, you really can’t go wrong with the combination of salty and creamy. Kale chip and chicken salad sandwiches definitely are a match made in heaven.
Want more options? Check out this comprehensive list!
More Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
- Rotisserie Chicken Salad
- Costco Chicken Salad
- Chicken Waldorf Salad
- No-Peek Chicken
- Cracker Barrel Fried Chicken
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?