If you’ve never tried a fried bologna sandwich before, you’re really missing out.
It’s crunchy, meaty, and perfect with a side of salty french fries!
This simple yet scrummy sandwich comes together on the stovetop in a flash and is ideal for any time of day.
Pair it with classics like mayo, ketchup, or mustard, or get a little more inventive with your sandwich toppings.
For example, I like it with a crispy fried egg and runny yolk for breakfast!
I promise this humble fried bologna sandwich is sure to become your new fave. Let’s get to it.
Fried Bologna and Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Did you know that bologna has been around since the 1400s?
Hailing from the town of Bologna in Italy, it made a big splash when Italian immigrants landed in New York City.
Bologna sausage and hot dogs are essentially the same meat, which is why they taste identical when grilled.
But since it’s sliced thinner than a hot dog, bologna grills in minutes. Perfect for busy days!
- Bread – Fried bologna is an American classic, and American classics usually demand white bread. However, anything thick-cut, including Texas toast and sourdough, is a great option.
- Bologna – Obviously! There’s no need to splurge on fancy bologna. But be sure to get thinner slices, so it crisps up in the pan.
- Oil – Those crispy charred edges pack a lot of flavors, and cooking oil helps speed up that process.
- Mustard – Nothing pairs better with salty, meaty bologna than mustard! Opt for whatever type you prefer, whether classic yellow or tangy Dijon mustard.
- American cheese – Every sandwich is better with cheese, and American cheese is a great way to add creamy, cheesy goodness without breaking the bank.
- That said, feel free to play around and use other types, like Swiss or sharp cheddar.
Tips for The Best Fried Bologna Sandwich
Frying bologna in a pan is incredibly simple, but there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Cut the edges. If you don’t cut a 1/2-inch slit in the side of the bologna, it will curl up in the pan as it heats.
- Swap the oil for butter. Fried bologna on its own is incredibly flavorful. But using butter adds nutty brown butter notes that are so delicious!
- Toast the bread. Do I really need to explain? Toast is crispy and way more flavorful than regular bread.
Make this sandwich your own with any toppings you like. But if you need inspiration, try these variations:
- Add an egg. While the pan is still hot, after the bologna cooks, throw in an egg! A good over-easy egg with a bursting yolk adds richness and a little extra protein to keep you fuller longer.
- Don’t just stop with mustard. Mustard is an excellent place to start, but it doesn’t have to end there. Add mayo, ketchup, ranch dressing- you name it!
- Some die-hard bologna fanatics like a layer of grape jelly for a wonderful sweet and salty kick.
- Try shaved bologna. Get shaved bologna from the deli counter. It’ll cook up even crispier than the regular slices.
- Pile on the potato chips. Fried bologna is comfort food at its best. For a little added crunch, try adding potato chips to your sandwich!
- Plain salted chips are great for crunch.
- Try salt and vinegar for tang, BBQ for sweetness, or sour cream and onion for flavor.
- Cheese curls also work really well.
Best Sides for Fried Bologna Sandwich
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?