This Chicken Divan recipe makes a glorious casserole filled with juicy bite-sized chicken, crunchy broccoli florets, a ridiculously creamy sauce, and a crumbly and buttery topping, to boot.
This is what casserole dreams are made of!
The look, the textures, the flavors – each department gets a perfect 10.
It’s a dish you won’t mind eating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, all on the same day.
Getting bored with your usual rotation of chicken dinners? Add this to the mix for an exciting meal the whole family will enjoy!
What is Chicken Divan?
Chicken Divan is a timeless dish that goes way back into the 1930s. It was created at the Chatham Hotel’s Divan Parisian restaurant, hence, the name.
It’s a casserole that combines chicken and broccoli and ties them together in a creamy bechamel sauce.
The casserole is topped with cheese and a crumble mixture of butter and breadcrumbs and baked to perfection.
It doesn’t get any better than this.
- Broccoli – Fresh is best but if in a pinch, frozen florets will work, too. Let them come to room temperature and pat them dry.
- Chicken – Use already-cooked chicken for convenience. I like to use leftover rotisserie chicken for this recipe. Any cut works.
- Condensed Cream Of Broccoli Soup – This is poured over the chicken and broccoli and serves as its thick and creamy sauce.
- Milk – It’s added to the condensed broccoli soup to thin out its consistency.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese – If a casserole recipe doesn’t have cheese in it, skip it! Grate your own cheese if time permits. It melts and tastes so much better than pre-shredded cheese in a bag.
- Butter and Breadcrumbs – Together, they’ll create the crisp and crumbly mixture that goes on top.
How to Make Chicken Divan
1. Boil the broccoli. You’ll want the florets to just be barely cooked as they’ll cook further in the oven. Just 5 minutes in boiling water will do.
2. Prepare the sauce. Whisk milk and condensed broccoli soup in a bowl. Done.
3. Prepare the topping. Combine the melted butter and bread crumbs. Easy.
4. Assemble the casserole. It goes broccoli – chicken – sauce – grated cheddar – bread crumb topping.
5. Bake the casserole. Just 15 minutes at 450 degrees Fahrenheit, and voila.
Tips for the Best Chicken Divan
- This recipe is a great way to use leftover rotisserie chicken! In case you don’t have any, though, just boil some chicken breasts and shred them.
- You can use frozen broccoli. Just be sure to let it come to room temperature first, and pat it dry.
Make-Ahead Chicken Divan
Chicken divan tastes better the next day, which makes it a great make-ahead dish.
Assemble the casserole up to 2 days in advance. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake.
Add an extra 15 minutes to the total baking time if cooking chicken divan straight from the fridge.
How to Store Leftovers
Let the dish come completely to room temperature before storing. Place the leftovers in an air-tight container and refrigerate them for up to 3-5 days.
Or, place the chicken in a freezer-safe container and freeze it for up to 3 months.
How to Reheat Chicken Divan
Cover the refrigerated casserole with foil and reheat at a 350-degree-Fahrenheit-oven for 30 minutes.
For smaller portions, reheat them in the microwave.
To reheat frozen Chicken Divan, cover the dish with foil and bake it at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake it for 5 minutes more.
What to Serve with Chicken Divan
For a hearty meal, you can’t go wrong with Chicken Divan and rice or pasta!
But if you’re looking for a healthier option, you can also go for quinoa and cauliflower rice.
For a lighter option, pair chicken divan with roasted veggies or fresh fruit salad.
More Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
- Chicken Piccata
- Crisco Fried Chicken
- 3-Ingredient Orange Chicken
- Sweet and Sour Chicken Balls
- Melt In Your Mouth Chicken
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?