Deep-fried okra is great, but air fryer okra is even greater.
I’ve always said that the best (and only) way to eat okra is to batter and fry them.
First of all, it gets rid of the okra’s slimy gunk I hate so much. Secondly, I just can’t get over that crispy golden crust.
Best of all, it’s easy to make. And now, it’s even a lot easier thanks to the air fryer!
In only 15 minutes, you’ll have a mouthwatering, crowd-pleasing snack perfect for your next get-together.
Air Fryer Okra
Packed with vitamins and antioxidants, okra is undeniably a superfood. Deep-frying it cancels out the health benefits, though!
The solution? Easy – use the air fryer!
With this nifty gadget, you can enjoy the goodness of crispy golden battered okra, but with very little to no oil.
Both effortless and guilt-free, it’s the best way to cook this addictive southern treat.
How To Make Air Fryer Okra
First things first: preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
If your air fryer doesn’t require preheating, skip this step.
Next, give your okra a good rinse. Place them in a colander and run them under water. Dry the okra well with a kitchen towel.
Cut off and discard the stems and the ends. Slice them crosswise into half-inch pieces. Thin slices make crispy fried okra!
You can also slice them lengthwise to make okra strips.
Now it’s time to prepare the coating. In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, and salt.
You can toss the okra pieces in the bowl, or you can also transfer the cornmeal mixture into a sealable plastic bag for easier coating.
Use a big bag (I use a 1-gallon) to give you enough space for shaking.
Beat the egg in a separate bowl. The egg should be at room temperature for easier coating.
Dip the okra pieces in the bowl of beaten egg, and then place them in the bag or bowl of cornmeal mixture.
Shake the bag or toss the okra pieces until they’re evenly coated with the breading.
If your air fryer is prone to sticking, brush the basket with oil. Olive oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil all work well.
Do not use aerosol sprays, as they contain lecithin that will damage your air fryer over time.
Arrange the okra pieces in the basket in a single layer.
Do not overcrowd the basket or the okra won’t cook evenly. Cook in batches if there’s not enough space.
Spray the okra pieces with oil. Don’t overdo it, or your fried okra will be soggy.
Air fry the okra for 5 minutes, then give the basket a good shake.
Cook for another 5 minutes or until the okra pieces are golden brown.
Freshly air-fried okra is super hot! Let them cool for 2 minutes before serving.
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy.
Tips for the Best Okra
- Wipe the knife every so often. Watch out: raw okra is very slimy. Be ready with paper towels – you may need to wipe your knife every so often during slicing.
- For extra flavor, add spices and seasonings to the cornmeal mixture. Classic southern fried okra uses paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. For an Indian flair, add garam masala, turmeric, and red chili powder.
- You can also add a bit of hot sauce to the egg mixture for some heat.
- Shake the basket or flip the okra pieces halfway through to ensure even cooking. Shake gently, though – you won’t want the breading to fall off.
- To make your okra extra crispy, spritz them with avocado, olive, or coconut oil. These oils have a neutral flavor and a high smoke point, perfect for frying.
- If it’s your first time air frying okra, it’s best to monitor them especially towards the last few minutes of cooking to avoid burning.
Why Is My Fried Okra Soggy?
Don’t you just hate it when something that’s supposed to be crispy and crunchy is all limp and soggy?
Don’t let it happen to your okra! Here are some tips to avoid a soggy mess:
- Dry the okra well after rinsing with a kitchen towel. Slice them thinly – about half an inch per slice. Thinner slices will result in super crispy, non-slimy fried okra.
- Do not spray too much oil. Not only will it add unnecessary calories to the okra, but will also decrease its maximum crisp potential.
How Long Should I Air Fry Frozen Okra?
Got no time to make crispy fried okra from scratch? Worry not, as you can always air fry breaded frozen okra.
I’ve done it many times before, and I’d gladly do it again.
Air-fried frozen okra may not be of the same quality as homemade, but it’s a good enough option in a pinch.
All of us need the aid of frozen foods from time to time!
Air frying frozen okra isn’t only a timesaver but also a much healthier choice than deep frying.
Hurray for minimal effort and fewer calories!
To air-fry frozen okra, arrange the pieces in the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes until golden and crispy.
Shake the basket every 5 minutes to ensure even cooking.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?