With its creamy and tangy flavor, this classic Southern comeback sauce is the perfect condiment for all your favorite foods.
And luckily, it’s easy to make too!
Brace yourself for a flavor explosion because this is the latest craze taking the South by storm!
Comeback sauce is kind of like the love child of Louisiana remoulade and a tangy salad dressing.
It pairs well with fries, chicken tenders, fish tacos, and more. Heck, you can even slather it in your next bacon cheeseburger!
There are no wrong answers when it comes to comeback sauce.
So, what are you waiting for? Let’s get mixing!
What Is Comeback Sauce?
Comeback sauce is a condiment and salad dressing from central Mississippi. It was created in a Greek restaurant in Jackson – The Rotisserie – and features a blend of mayonnaise, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, chili sauce, lemon juice, dry mustard, onion powder, hot sauce, garlic powder, and paprika.
It’s been a staple in Southern cuisine for decades and has now made its way to the hearts (and stomachs!) of foodies all over the world.
And for good reason.
It’s incredibly versatile, pairs well with meat, fish, and vegan alternatives, and can even be used as a marinade.
Once you try it, you’ll want to put it on everything.
So, fire up the grill, make some delicious comeback sauce, and enjoy the flavors of the South!
To make comeback sauce, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Mayonnaise: the creamy base that helps balance the flavors. Use Greek yogurt or sour cream if you prefer.
- Ketchup: for its tangy tomato flavor and a touch of sweetness.
- Chili Sauce: Heinz chili sauce is my go-to because it brings the heat with a nice depth of flavor. Use Sriracha or hot sauce if you prefer.
- Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice: for a bright, acidic flavor.
- Worcestershire Sauce: for a savory kick of umami goodness.
- Dry Mustard Powder: Colman’s is great, as it adds a tangy kick.
- Seasonings: Onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika are in the OG recipe. Feel free to add some chili powder for extra spice.
- Hot Pepper Sauce: Tabasco is the most often used. Go for fresh chili peppers or red pepper flakes if you don’t have hot sauce.
How to Make Comeback Sauce
Here’s how to make this fabulous sauce:
- Mix everything until smooth.
- Leave it to chill.
- Serve and enjoy!
How easy is that?
What to Serve with Comeback Sauce
Comeback sauce is tangy, creamy, and slightly spicy. It’s perfect for dipping, spreading, and drizzling over your favorite foods.
To really make the most of this sauce, try one of the following:
- With fried chicken
- Spread it in your burger buns
- Drizzle it over a hot dog with relish and cheese
- Serve it with fries, onion rings, etc.
- Add some to a coleslaw mix
- Toss it in your next salad
How to Store
The great thing about comeback sauce is that it lasts for ages in the fridge.
There’s no dairy in it, and the lemon juice, ketchup, and mayo give it just the right amount of tang.
So make a big batch and keep it in the fridge (in an airtight jar or container) for up to two weeks.
More Sauce Recipes You’ll Love
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?