Stick of butter rice is a comforting, simple dish the family will love.
Made with French onion soup, beef broth, butter, and white rice, it’s such a savory treat.
All you need to make it are those four pantry staples plus a casserole dish.
Easy, affordable, and versatile, this side dish goes with almost anything. Throw it together in a jiffy for holidays, potlucks, weeknight dinners, and more.
So say goodbye to basic white rice and hello to stick of butter rice! It’s bound to be your new favorite!
Stick of Butter Rice
This dish has many names, including brown butter rice, rice consommé, and church lady rice. No matter what you call it, it’s delicious.
And with just four ingredients, it’s a simple and quick side dish.
You start with a whole stick of butter and rice. Condensed French onion soup and condensed beef broth give it so much flavor. It’s a simple hack for sprucing up white rice without a bunch of ingredients.
And let’s face it, there’s no denying the yumminess of butter. A whole stick might sound like a lot, but trust me, it’s not!
Just like the ingredients, making the dish couldn’t get any easier.
Cooking rice on the stove can be a gamble. And not everyone has a rice cooker or Instant Pot. But none of that matters with this dish because you bake it in the oven. See, I told you it was easy!
What I love most about this dish is you only need four ingredients. Here’s what you need:
- White rice. A long-grain white rice like basmati or jasmine is best. It won’t be sticky like short-grain rice. Also, avoid instant rice.
- French onion soup. For flavor! Use canned condensed soup like Campbell’s. Regular soups that are not condensed will be too watery.
- Beef broth. Like the French onion soup, you want to use condensed beef broth. For a stronger flavor, you can also use beef consomme. This is a type of clarified broth made with egg whites.
- Butter. Opt for unsalted butter. The soups already contain a good amount of sodium. Also, slice it thin and arrange it evenly so the whole dish soaks it up.
How to Make Stick of Butter Rice
Talk about an easy dish! Making this rice casserole is about as simple as cooking gets.
Here are the steps:
- Prep the oven. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the ingredients. In the baking dish, combine the rice, French onion soup, and beef broth. Place the butter slices on top. Be sure to arrange them evenly.
- Cover and bake. Cover the baking dish with foil, then bake it for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake. Remove the foil and bake it for another 30 minutes.
- Serve. Serve it warm and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
Want to make this rice even tastier? Try these tasty variations. I’ve also included some nifty tips:
- Don’t add salt. The soups contain plenty of sodium. So, just as with the butter, adding salt will make it too salty.
- Add aromatics. Sauteed onions or garlic add a lovely, aromatic touch. You can also add fresh or dried herbs. Try a sprinkle of parsley as a garnish to make it pop.
- Spruce it up with veggies. Broccoli, mushrooms, or cauliflower are just a few ideas.
- Pack it with protein. Shredded chicken or ground beef will make it a protein-rich dish. You can even add a can of beans to make the rice a complete protein.
- Make it extra rich with cheese. Cheese plus rice casseroles equals yum! Add a sprinkle of parmesan, Gruyere, or cheddar on top.
One of the many wonderful things about this dish is it’s universal. You can serve it with all kinds of meals for various occasions.
Even pan-fried mushrooms or steamed broccoli pair well.
You can make your meal as simple or extravagant as you like. That’s the beauty of this dish.
How to Store Leftovers
Another great thing about stick of butter rice is that it stores well. So you can save the leftovers for lunch or dinner.
Here’s what you need to know:
- To Store: Transfer the cooled leftovers to an air-tight container and refrigerate. Eat them up within 4 days.
- To Freeze: Once cooled, place the leftovers in a freezer-friendly air-tight container. Label and freeze it. Enjoy them within 2 months.
- To Reheat: Reheat leftovers in the microwave, checking at 1-minute intervals. Be sure to place them in a microwave-safe container. For the oven, reheat the leftovers at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until thoroughly heated.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?