Robert Redford dessert has four layers of pure decadence, and like its namesake, it’s pretty darn dreamy.
In fact, it’s my new favorite chocolate dessert.
Between the buttery crust, creamy cheese layer, silky-smooth pudding, and light whipped topping, this dish is to die for.
This dessert is full of creamy, chocolaty goodness. No wonder it’s also sometimes called “Sex in a Pan.”
Just imagine the glorious combination of chocolate, cream cheese, and pudding on top of a butter pecan crust! It’s definitely impossible to resist.
Plus, it’s a snap to whip up and can feed a crowd, too, making it perfect for parties and potlucks.
Whether you’re a fan of Robert Redford or not, you’re guaranteed to fall in love with this drool-worthy dessert.
Robert Redford Dessert
Robert Redford dessert is a layered cake consisting of four key elements.
At the bottom is a crisp and buttery crust loaded with pecans. That alone tells you how great this dessert is.
But that’s followed by a cheesecake-like layer full of richness and flavor.
Up next is always a crowd-pleaser: pudding.
And not just one, but two flavors: chocolate and vanilla. Because why not?
Finally, to top it off is a fluffy layer of whipped cream and a good sprinkling of chocolate and chopped pecans. Wow.
To say that this dessert is heavenly is an understatement.
Why the name, though?
The cake was very popular during the ‘70s; around the same time the movie star also became a big hit.
It was initially called “Almost Better Than Robert Redford” or “The Next Best Thing to Robert Redford” and was eventually shortened.
That said, I think I prefer Sex in a Pan 🙂 Though I’d happily share this with the man himself.
- All-Purpose Flour – The base of the crust.
- Butter – To saturate the flour and add a buttery flavor.
- Chopped Pecans – For crunch.
- Cream Cheese – Think of this layer as a smooth and creamy cheesecake. Use softened, room temperature cream cheese for a lump-free mixture.
- Powdered Sugar – For sweetness. Do not use granulated sugar, otherwise, the texture will be off.
- Whipped Cream – To make the layer light and airy. If you’re in a hurry, you can always use Cool Whip.
- Chocolate Pudding and Vanilla Pudding – Double the pudding, double the flavor.
- Whipped Cream – There’s nothing like a light and fluffy cream to make a dessert supreme.
- Chopped Pecans and Grated Chocolate – For extra crunch and flavor.
Tips for the Best Dessert
- Go crazy on the toppings! Top the layer cake with chopped nuts, chocolate chips, fresh or dried fruits, marshmallows, jam, coconut, caramel, or crushed candy. Feel free to mix and match.
- To make shaved chocolate, use a vegetable peeler. It’s easier with chilled or frozen chocolate since it won’t melt in your hand.
- Add a tablespoon of cocoa powder into the crust for a richer treat. Or, go ahead and make a crunchy Oreo crust instead. Yum!
- Use instant pudding mix so you won’t need to cook. In a dish like this, easy is your friend.
- Add peanut butter to the cream cheese mixture for a peanut butter flavor. You could also add a layer of caramel under the cream.
- Don’t forget to butter the pan well, otherwise, the crust will stick to the bottom. Cooking spray will work too.
- Give the dessert at least 4 hours in the fridge before you serve. Otherwise, the layers won’t set.
- Freeze the cake for 15 minutes after adding each layer. This will make it easier to spread the layers.
- Use homemade whipped cream if you have time. I know it takes longer, but you can’t beat the taste. Just beat 3 cups of heavy whipping cream at medium speed until stiff peaks form, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Place the pan in the freezer for 30 minutes before you slice. It will make slicing a breeze! Wipe the knife with a paper towel in between slicing to keep it clean.
- Store the dessert in the fridge covered in plastic wrap until ready to serve. This dessert keeps well for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Robert Redford dessert is epic as it is, but you can also try other variations if you’re interested in new and fun flavors.
Here are some ideas:
- Pistachio: use pistachio pudding instead of chocolate.
- Mint Chocolate: use Mint Oreos for the crust and top the dessert with crushed Andes Mint candies.
- Lemon: use lemon pudding instead of chocolate and add a splash of lemon juice to the cream cheese mixture.
- Reduced Sugar: use sugar-free instant pudding and whipped topping.
- Parfait: assemble the layers in glasses for individual servings.
Other Names for This Treat
While this dessert is mostly known as the “ Robert Redford Desert,” or simply “Robert Redford,” it also goes by many other names. Here are a few of my faves:
- Chocolate Lush
- Sex in a Pan
- Better (or almost) Than Sex Dessert
- Chocolate Lasagna
- Chocolate Pie Squares
- Slush Cake
- Chocolate Fudge Layered Lush
- Other variations: Lemon Lush, Banana Lush, Strawberry Lush
Can I Make This No-Bake?
Definitely! Just swap the flour for crushed Graham Crackers or Oreo cookies and refrigerate the crust to let it set. Easy Peasy!
If you’re using Oreo cookies, there’s no need to remove the cream filling. It will make the crust extra sweet and tasty.
26 Oreo cookies will yield 3 cups of crumbs.
More Creamy Desserts You’ll Love
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?