This is just like the original Chex Mix recipe we all know and love.
So why make it yourself? To double up on your favorite ingredients, of course!
The medley of breakfast cereals, nuts, and pretzels gives you different levels of crunch, and they’re all ridiculously delicious.
What takes it to the next level, though, is the sauce.
Made with melted butter and seasonings, it transforms the snack from ordinary to extraordinary.
Trust me, this original Chex Mix recipe won’t last long.
Original Chex Mix Recipe
This Chex Mix recipe is similar to Texas Trash, but it’s a lot easier to make.
In this version, there’s no need to preheat the oven. The microwave will take care of all the cooking!
How awesome is that?
Don’t underestimate its flavor, though. Just because the recipe is simpler doesn’t mean it’s not as delectable.
This Chex Mix is just as crunchy and flavorful. Trust me, one bite will get you hooked.
What Is in Chex Party Mix?
It’s very easy to remember: a hodgepodge of crunchy things + seasoned butter.
As long as you follow this formula, your snack will be a hit. Here’s my go-to combination:
- Chex Cereals – I use a mix of corn, rice, and wheat Chex, but again, do your own thing.
- Mixed Nuts – I’m a sucker for walnuts, cashews, and almonds, but any assortment works.
- Bite-sized Pretzels – Aside from the crunch, I just love how cute they are. They make the mix more appetizing.
- Bagel Chips – Oh my God, these chips taste glorious once they absorb the buttery and garlicky goodness of the sauce!
- The Sauce – It’s a mix of melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. It’s what coats and ties all the mix-ins together and gives it the most addictive flavor.
Tips for Making The Best Snack Mix
As forgiving and customizable as the recipe is, you still might encounter blunders that might mess up the snack.
But stick with me and I’ll steer you away from all these possible snafus.
How Do You Make Chex Mix Not Soggy?
Snack mixes need enough time to dry out properly.
Don’t store it until it completely soaks up the butter seasoning. It’ll only take about 20 to 30 minutes.
It’s also best to spread it thinly on a baking sheet. The greater the surface area, the faster it’ll dry up.
Also, don’t go beyond the amount of butter stated in the recipe, unless you plan on adding more mix-ins, of course.
Adding too much liquid will make the snack soggy.
Why Did My Chex Mix Burn?
Yes, this is possible, even in the microwave. This recipe requires you to microwave the mix on high for 6 minutes, but not all on one go.
I can’t stress enough how important this is: pause every 2 minutes of microwaving and give the mix a stir.
This is the key to keeping both the butter and mix-ins from burning.
More Must-Read Tips:
The great thing about this snack is you can add as many cereals, nuts, and nibblers to the mix, and it’ll still be delicious.
But that’s not the only tip I have up my sleeve:
- Leave out the nuts if you’re allergic. Or just swap them out for another nut you can eat.
- Use other cereals and crunchy ingredients. Go for Cheerios, popcorn, Cheetos, breadsticks, rice crackers, saltines, and even goldfish crackers.
- Season the butter to your liking. If you want some heat to your snack, you can’t go wrong with a dash of Tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper.
- Speaking of butter, don’t skimp on it. It will seem like the recipe calls for a lot, but it’s needed.
- Mix in the butter in two additions. Pour half the sauce first, toss, pour the remaining half, and toss again.
Also, if you plan on adding any fragile ingredients, such as Cheetos, popcorn, marshmallows, and chocolate chips, here’s a tip.
Don’t add them until after you microwave the rest of the ingredients. Heat will make these ingredients either lose their crunch or melt.
To Store: Once cooled, you can either snack on it right away, or store it in an air-tight container.
This Chex Mix snack will keep well for up to 2 weeks, as long as the container is sealed well.
You can even freeze it for up to 3 months. Double or triple the recipe so you have something to snack on any day you crave.
Want More Addictive Snacks?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?