The next time you’re in the mood for something quick and ultra-tasty, give these chicken fajitas a try.
Between the juicy chicken, sautéed bell peppers, and onions, this dish is just as colorful and wholesome as it is delicious.
Does it get any better than tender, spicy chicken with tender veggies? I don’t think so!
That said, no chicken fajitas are complete without the toppings! I’m talking guacamole, salsa, sour cream, cheese, and more!
Plus, it doesn’t matter if you’re a pro or new to cooking, these chicken fajitas are a cinch to recreate.
Easy Chicken Fajitas Recipe
If you’ve been here before, you’ll know I’m all about convenience.
Sure, cooking an elaborate, over-the-top meal that makes everyone ooh and ahh is fun.
But nine times out of ten, I prefer quick and easy to elaborate and time-consuming.
And these chicken fajitas are just the kind of meal I enjoy making.
You can whip them up in one pan in 30 minutes or less. And besides the oil and spices, you’ll only need a handful of ingredients.
They’re perfect for busy weeknights when no one has the time or energy to cook. Plus, we can’t overlook how insanely delicious they are.
The chicken is flawlessly seasoned with a mix of seven different spices. And the peppers and onions have plenty of flavor all by themselves.
Give these a try if you want a 30-minute meal the whole family will love.
Here’s all you’ll need to make these fantastic fajitas:
- Chicken – Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are the way to go for this recipe. (Though tenderloins also work.) Be sure to cut them into thin strips before you start.
- Peppers – You’ll use a mix of green and red bell peppers to bring flavor, color, and texture. For more heat, add poblanos or jalapeños into the mix.
- Onions – You’ll want to combine thinly sliced green onions and half a chopped white (or red) onion for the best blend of flavors.
- Seasonings – Seasonings for these fajitas include seasoned salt, dried oregano, ground cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, and red pepper flakes. This combination transforms plain chicken into something incredible.
- Oil and Lemon Juice – These ingredients act as the base for your marinade. They help the seasonings infuse their flavor into every bite of meat.
- Tortillas – Choose your favorite tortillas, warm them up, and wrap your filling! Or leave them off entirely for a keto-friendly option.
- Extra toppings – Use as many or as few toppings as you like. Salsa, guacamole, and sour cream are pretty standard. But you don’t have to stop there!
That’s all it takes! Quick, easy, and, best of all, inexpensive!
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
Follow these steps to make drool-worthy fajitas in a flash:
1. Prepare the ingredients.
Before you even think about cooking, get everything ready. That way, you know you have everything you need, and you can just throw it all in the pan.
So, slice the chicken breasts into strips, and prepare the marinade with the oil, juice, and seasonings.
You can also cut the onions and peppers into strips at this point. But it’s okay to wait and do this while your chicken is marinating if you prefer.
2. Marinate the chicken.
Place the chicken strips into the prepared marinade. Ensure they’re coated on all sides.
Then, cover them, and place them in the fridge to marinate for at least 1 hour. Of course, if you can leave them longer, that’s even better.
3. Cook the chicken and veggies.
After the chicken has marinated sufficiently, sauté the veggies for a few minutes until they’re tender but still crisp.
Transfer them to a covered plate.
Then, drain the excess marinade off the chicken and add it to the skillet. Cook it for 5 to 6 minutes until all the pink is gone.
Then, transfer the peppers and onions back into the skillet with the chicken.
Continue cooking this mixture until everything is hot.
4. Assemble the fajitas and enjoy.
Spoon the fajita filling into the tortillas and add your desired toppings.
Roll or fold the filling in the tortillas, so it doesn’t fall out, and enjoy!
Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Cast-iron skillets are the way to go. You can make these fajitas in any skillet or pan, but cast iron will provide the best sear and flavor.
- Let the chicken cook in place. Unlike veggies, you don’t have to move the chicken around often. Instead, let it cook in one place and get a good sear. Then, you can flip it easily.
- Ensure everything is uniformly sized. Cut everything into the same size strips or as close as possible. Pound the chicken breasts beforehand if they’re too thick. If everything’s the same size, it will cook more evenly.
- Go low-carb. Leave the tortillas, and use lettuce instead. You can also find low-carb, high-fiber tortillas at most grocery stores.
- Swap out the meat. You don’t have to stick to chicken here. Instead, use steak if you prefer or tofu or portobello mushrooms for a vegan dinner.
- Add extra veggies to the fajitas. Mushrooms, spinach, carrots, and radishes are all excellent options.
Best Fajita Toppings
Here’s a list of toppings you may want to try on your fajitas:
- Salsa or salsa verde
- Flavored salsas (such as mango salsa)
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Pico de gallo
- Hot sauce
- Pickled veggies
Just remember: if you overload them too much, the filling will just fall out.
How to Store Leftover Chicken Fajitas
These fajitas are so good, you probably won’t have any leftovers. Luckily, if you do, you can store them or freeze them for later.
- Storing: Allow the fajitas to cool before transferring them to an airtight container.
- Place them in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
- Store the tortillas separately.
- Freezing: You can also freeze the fajita filling for up to 3 months. The texture may be different, but the taste will still be fantastic.
- Freeze the filling (without tortillas) in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag or airtight container.
- Don’t forget to date them!
- Reheating: Reheat leftovers from the fridge in the microwave or on the stove.
- If you’re reheating frozen leftovers, let them thaw in the fridge overnight first. Then, reheat them on the stove over medium heat.
More Chicken Dinners You’ll Love
One Pan Mexican Chicken and Rice
Baked Teriyaki Chicken Wings
Panda Express Orange Chicken
Rotel Chicken Spaghetti
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?