The Blue Lagoon cocktail is one of my favorite summer drinks.
Between the bright color and refreshing tropical taste, it’s the perfect poolside sipper.
Though I’ve used it to break the winter blues more than once!
It’s easy to make, too.
Just mix vodka, blue curaçao, and lemonade and you’ll have a sweetly tart and delightfully citrusy cocktail ready in no time.
The Blue Lagoon cocktail is stunningly gorgeous and sure to turn heads.
What’s in A Blue Lagoon Cocktail?
As good as this fun blue cocktail looks, it’s a super simple recipe.
You’ll find more details at the bottom of the post. For now, here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Vodka: Choose a neutral, mid-top shelf bottle, like Smirnoff or Tito’s.
- Blue Curaçao: This gives the drink its signature color and delightful orange flavor. If you don’t have blue curaçao, substitute triple sec.
- Lemonade: I prefer homemade lemonade because it lets me control the flavor, but feel free to use store-bought.
You’ll also need ice, a cocktail shaker, a lemon wheel, and a maraschino cherry. A cutesy umbrella never hurts, either.
What is Blue Curacao?
Blue curaçao is a type of blue-colored citrus liqueur. It’s artificially colored but naturally flavored with the Laraha orange peel.
The Laraha orange is native to the island of Curaçao, where the drink was made.
Curaçao has a distinctly orange citrus taste but comes in many colors. Blue and clear are the two people use most often.
And if you’re wondering how to pronounce it, it’s cure-uh-sow.
For more blue curaçao drinks, check out my article, “10 Blue Curacao Drinks.”
How to Make a Blue Lagoon Cocktail
Like all good 3-ingredient cocktails, this recipe comes together in a flash.
Follow these steps to make the perfect Blue Lagoon cocktail:
1. Shake. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and the drink ingredients. Shake vigorously for 20 to 30 seconds or until chilled.
2. Strain the cocktail into a cold highball glass.
3. Garnish and serve. Add a lemon wheel and maraschino cherry, if desired. Then, serve and enjoy!
In the mood to mix things up a bit? Try one of these Blue Lagoon variations:
- Make it fruitier. Add an ounce or two of 100% pineapple juice for a fruitier, more tropical flavor.
- Be generous with the garnishes. A lemon wheel and maraschino cherry are typical for the Blue Lagoon. But you don’t have to stop there! Add an orange slice, a chunk of pineapple, or whatever else you like.
- Swap the vodka for rum. As much as I enjoy this recipe, as written, I’m a sucker for rum. Coconut rum or white rum are my top choices.
- Top with Sprite. It’ll mellow out the alcohol and make it nice and bubbles.
- Serve it slushy. Instead of a shaker, toss all the ingredients into a blender. Add plenty of ice, then blitz until it’s slush.
- No lemonade? No problem. Substitute one ounce each of freshly squeezed lemon juice and simple syrup instead.
- Need a mocktail version? Leave out the alcohol and mix blue Gatorade and lemonade. You can also find non-alcoholic blue curaçao syrup. If you have that, it’ll taste more like the original than Gatorade.
Finally, do you want to make many Blue Lagoon cocktails for a party? No problem! Here’s how:
- Combine 8 ounces of vodka with 8 ounces of blue curaçao.
- Add 64 ounces of lemonade.
- Mix well, and keep in the fridge until serving.
- Add plenty of ice to a punchbowl and serve with lemon wheels and colorful straws.
More Vibrant Cocktails You’ll Love
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?