This bacon ranch cheese ball recipe is downright addictive.
Seriously, make it for your next party, and your friends will devour it in seconds.
You only need a few ingredients and a mixer to make this fun appetizer. Plus the dippers, of course!
And I promise every guest at your party will love it. There won’t be a crumb left at the end of the night.
In fact, you should probably just make two because everyone will want seconds (and thirds) of this bacon ranch cheese ball.
Quick and Easy Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball
Cheese balls were all the rage not too long ago. And this retro dish is coming back in style.
This particular cheese ball features a delicious combination of ranch and bacon, so it’s perfect for picky eaters.
Whether you’re entertaining or craving a savory snack, you can’t beat it.
It’s simple, rich, creamy, and great with all kinds of dippers – from veggies to bagel chips.
- Cream Cheese – It’s not a cheese ball without cream cheese! Be sure to soften it ahead of time for easy mixing and forming.
- Ranch Dressing Mix – Dry ranch dressing brings all the flavor without any added liquid. That’s how this ball keeps its shape. Use any brand you like, but I prefer Hidden Valley Ranch packets for this recipe.
- Shredded Cheese – Colby jack or cheddar are my go-to’s for this bacon ranch cheese ball, but you could definitely mix it up. Just be sure to get a block and shred it yourself.
- Bacon Bits – You can’t have a bacon ranch cheese ball without bacon! Fry up your own bits until crispy, or buy pre-cooked bacon bits for easier preparation.
How Long Do Cheese Balls Last?
Every host knows that prepping food in advance is the key to success.
And luckily, this recipe doesn’t have any fresh ingredients, so you can make it ahead of time!
Store the prepared cheese ball in the refrigerator for up to a week. Just cover it in plastic wrap and store it in an airtight container so it doesn’t dry out.
Storing in the refrigerator actually allows the flavors to meld together.
So, making the cream cheese ball a day or so in advance is a good idea. Then, roll it in the bacon just before serving to keep it crispy.
Tips for the Perfect Cheese Ball
- Start with room-temperature cream cheese. It’ll mix and shape much easier.
- Always shred your own cheese. This goes for most recipes, in my opinion. Shredded cheese is convenient, but it’s not the best quality. It’s usually coated in something to keep it from clumping. That, in turn, means it doesn’t melt as well or taste as good.
- Make the cheese ball a day ahead. This will allow it to set in shape and let the flavors meld together.
- Get creative with the shaping! From footballs to Mickey Mouse, there are so many options! You can even make mini cheese balls and serve them with toothpicks for a portable hors d’oeuvre.
- For a softer cheese ball, use sour cream in the cheese mixture. This will make it creamier and easier to spread onto crackers. It might not keep its shape, though – especially if you make it big.
Can You Freeze Cheese Balls?
Cheese balls will freeze, but they need to be fully wrapped in plastic, with two layers if possible. Then place it in an airtight container or freezer bag to keep it from drying out. Thaw in the fridge to prevent weeping. Cheese balls with sour cream or mayonnaise don’t freeze well.
Dairy does freeze, but not always well. So if you add extra liquid – sour cream or mayo – you may find the cheese ball becomes watery when thawed.
That’s why it’s best not to freeze those types of cheese balls.
What To Serve with a Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball
I personally can’t resist an assortment of crackers with a cheese ball. But then, I’ll eat it with pretty much anything.
Here are some options:
- Pita chips
- Toasted baguettes
- Sturdy veggies – mini peppers, carrots, and celery
- Bagel crisps
This cheese ball makes an excellent addition to charcuterie boards too.
More Cheesy Recipes You’ll Love
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?