Air fryer grilled cheese is the cooking hack your family needs!
Simply assemble your sandwich, pop it in the basket, and the hot air works its magic. You get comforting ooey-gooey melty bliss with zero hassle.
The process is so simple, even your kids can make it!
Why You’ll Love This Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
There are so many things you and your family will love about this recipe!
- It’s easy to make. It’s an effortless recipe that kids can make, too. In minutes, you achieve the picture-perfect melty, crispy golden sandwich. It’s no mess and no fuss.
- It’s a comfort food classic. This sandwich is classic comfort food at its finest! You get that warm, gooey goodness you know and love cooked to perfection. All you need is an easy tomato soup for the ultimate cozy meal.
- It’s easily customizable. Go beyond the basic white bread and cheese with your favorite add-ins. Try experimenting with different cheeses, breads, spreads, and fillings for endless flavor combinations. Add a spoonful of pesto, a juicy tomato, caramelized onions, and more.
The best grilled cheese only requires three ingredients. So forget all the fancy frills and focus on these essential components:
- Bread – Sandwich bread is classic. Whole wheat or white bread both work. I also like using sourdough or a thick slice of Texas toast.
- Butter – For cooking the sandwich and getting that perfect golden brown exterior. Salted or unsalted, both work. Just don’t skip the butter!
- Cheese – Monterey Jack, Cheddar, or Gruyere will yield the best results. You can also get creative and use a combination of all three.
How to Make Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Just how simple is air fryer grilled cheese? It only takes three easy steps:
1. Assemble the sandwich. Spread the butter on each slice of bread. Place the cheese slices in between the bread with the buttered sides facing outwards.
2. Air fry. Place the sandwich in the air fryer basket. Cook it at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes, flipping it halfway through.
3. Serve. Serve it immediately. Enjoy!
Tips for the Best Grilled Cheese
What’s the secret to the best grilled cheese? Follow my tips to find out!
- Quality is key. The grilled cheese bread you choose can make or break your sandwich. Use thick, quality bread for optimal results. Sourdough is my favorite! But those thick Texas toast slices are also hard to resist.
- Melty is magical. Like the bread, the quality of the cheese matters. So use one that melts readily and avoid pre-shredded cheese. It contains starches that prevent it from melting well.
- Work some batch brilliance. If you crowd the air fryer, your sandwich won’t cook properly. Cook in batches if you’re making a bunch of sandwiches. Don’t worry, it’s quick and easy.
- Lock it down. If the slices are too thin, the hot air may blow the bread off the sandwich. Use a toothpick or thicker slices to prevent this from happening.
You can add all kinds of yummy layers to create an epic grilled cheese.
Here are some ideas:
- Caprese Grilled Cheese – Use sliced mozzarella, tomato slices, and fresh basil for the filling. You can also add an optional drizzle of balsamic glaze.
- Ham and Cheese – Add a slice of ham to this recipe. It adds more protein, and the kids will love it!
- Bacon and Caramelized Onion – Salty bacon, sweet caramelized onions, and gooey cheese for the win!
- Pesto Grilled Cheese – A smear of pesto inside the bread is also delicious.
- Pizza Grilled Cheese – Layer pepperoni, Mozzarella, Parmesan, and pizza sauce on your favorite bread.
How to Store & Reheat
If you have leftover grilled cheese, don’t toss it! Instead, save it for later. The texture may change, but it will still be good for a couple of days.
Here’s how to store and reheat air fryer grilled cheese:
To Store: Place the leftover sandwich in an air-tight container. Refrigerate it for up to 2 days.
To Reheat: Reheat it in the air fryer at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until the cheese melts.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?