Spicy, sweet, and super refreshing, this Tequila Mockingbird cocktail recipe is the ideal summer sipper.
Made with tequila, watermelon juice, and fresh jalapeños, it’s perfect for hot weather.
And while there are different variations of this stunning tequila cocktail, this one is my favorite.
Watermelon Tequila Mockingbird Cocktail
Is it a book? Is it a drink? Actually, it’s a little of everything!
The Tequila Mockingbird drink is a fun and vibrant summer cocktail. And depending on where you order it, it might contain blue curaçao or crème de menthe.
But this watermelon recipe is my go-to because it’s basically a watermelon margarita with a spicy twist.
The name itself is a pun on Harper Lee’s novel To Kill a Mockingbird. It also doubles as the title of a best-selling cocktail book.
The OG recipe might be shrouded in mystery, but this is one smashing drink!
As I mentioned, the Tequila Mockingbird cocktail recipe varies from bar to bar. But if you like the sound of my version, here’s what you’ll need:
- Jalapeños – For a spicy twist! Remove the seeds before you muddle them – unless you like it extra fiery.
- Tequila – Blanco tequila is best for this drink. It’s crisp and refreshing.
- Lime Juice – What’s a margarita without lime juice? Remember, fresh is best, so use the juice from a real lime.
- Watermelon Juice – It’s sweet, juicy, and wonderfully colorful!
- Agave Nectar – Agave nectar is the ideal sweetener for this tequila drink. But you can leave it out if the watermelon is sweet enough.
- Watermelon Wedge or Lime Wheel (Optional) – For a simple garnish, add a watermelon wedge or a lime wheel.
How to Make a Tequila Mockingbird Cocktail
With all the muddling and shaking, you’ll look like a real pro making this drink! But you’ll have everyone fooled because it’s super easy.
Here are the steps:
1. Muddle jalapeño slices in a cocktail shaker.
2. Fill the shaker with blanco tequila, lime juice, watermelon juice, and agave nectar. Add ice and shake until chilled.
3. Strain into a glass filled with ice.
4. Garnish with a watermelon wedge or a lime wheel. Serve and enjoy!
As mentioned, you’ll find many different Tequila Mockingbird recipes online. They’re all worth a try if you’re a fan of tequila cocktails!
Here are a few variations to look out for:
- Gin Mockingbird. Just replace the tequila with gin. You can also swap out the lime for lemon if you prefer.
- Minty Mockingbird. Add a splash of Crème de Menthe. It’s minty and refreshing!
- Smoky Mockingbird. Instead of tequila use mezcal. It adds a nice smoky flavor.
- Jalapeño Margarita. Use all the same ingredients, but skip the watermelon juice and add triple sec.
- Tequila Limeade. Mix tequila, lime juice, a splash of watermelon juice, and soda water. For a spicy version, add muddled jalapeño.
- Mocktail Mockingbird. Just increase the watermelon juice and nix the tequila.
More Cocktail Recipes You’ll Love
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?