Hailing from the Lone Star State, Texas Ranch Water features tequila, Topo Chico, and lime.
You may not think such a simple drink would taste so good, but it does! It’s light, refreshing, and full of bubbly goodness.
Don’t believe me? Try a glass of Ranch Water today!
What Is Texas Ranch Water?
Texas Ranch Water is a three-ingredient cocktail that tastes like an unsweetened Margarita.
It’s a simple mixed drink combining Blanco tequila, fresh lime juice, and Topo Chico mineral water.
It has a crisp, refreshing taste and is wonderfully bubbly.
Some people call it a “Skinny Margarita.” But that term is often applied to other drinks.
And this one is unique because the drinker is supposed to continually top it up with mineral water as they sip.
As mentioned, the Ranch Water requires only three primary ingredients. That means it’s important to get the best booze and freshest limes.
Oh, and Topo Chico is a must!
Here’s what you need:
- Blanco Tequila: This is a clear and crisp type of tequila. It’s tequila in its purest form, meaning it’s un-aged. Any brand of Blanco or Silver will do, but I recommend a mid-top shelf bottle, like Cascahuín Plata 48 or Siete Leguas.
- Lime Juice: Use freshly squeezed only! Remember, this drink has only three ingredients, so each one counts! Using freshly squeezed lime juice will provide the best taste.
- Topo Chico: Technically, you could use any sparkling mineral water. However, Topo Chico is THE sparkling mineral water for this cocktail. If you can find it, use it.
You’ll also need ice for the glass and a lime wedge garnish to finish it off.
What Is Topo Chico?
As mentioned, Topo Chico is a brand of sparkling mineral water. Specifically, it’s a sparkling mineral water brand from Mexico.
It’s supremely bubbly and has a refreshing, crisp flavor that lends itself well to this drink.
In fact, its “claim to fame” is as a key ingredient in Texas Ranch Water.
It’s the best – or at least the most authentic – choice for this recipe.
How to Make Ranch Water
Making this drink is easier than 1, 2, 3! It only has two steps:
1. Prepare the drink. Fill a tall glass with ice, then add tequila and lime juice. Top off the drink with Topo Chico until the glass is full.
2. Garnish and serve. Add a simple lime wedge garnish, and voila! Your drink is ready to go!
As mentioned, the traditional way to drink Ranch Water is to top the glass up with Topo Chico. That way, you enjoy the cool and refreshing drink for longer.
Ranch Water Variations
Because Ranch Water is so simple, there are a million variations you can try. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Add a refreshing twist. This drink is delightfully refreshing already. However, adding a few cucumber slices will make it even more so. Don’t forget to muddle them in for flavor.
- Make it fruity. There are a few options for giving Ranch Water a fruity finish. You can muddle in some fruit or berries or add fruit-flavored soda or juice. Grapefruit soda is always a nice touch.
- Use flavored Topo Chico. Topo Chico also has several different flavors. Instead of adding fruit juice, swap the mineral water for a flavored variety. They have lime, blueberry, tangerine, and more.
- Experiment with liqueurs. Adding different liqueurs will give the drink a more complex, nuanced flavor. Try elderflower liqueur or another flavor you enjoy.
- Don’t neglect the rim. Add margarita salt, Tajin, or even sugar to the rim of the glass.
How to Make a Spicy Ranch Water Cocktail
Making a Spicy Ranch Water is nearly as simple as making the original variety.
You’ll simply add a little Tajin seasoning around the rim and muddle some jalapeños into the drink.
You’ll need the following ingredients:
- lime wedges (for the rim and a garnish)
- 1 tablespoon Tajín seasoning
- 1 small jalapeño, sliced
- 2 ounces Blanco tequila
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 6 ounces Topo Chico
Then, follow these steps:
1. Coat the rim. Run a lime wedge around the top of the glass. Then, dip it in Tajin seasoning.
2. Muddle the jalapeño slices. This releases the oils. Add ice over the top.
3. Mix the drink. Add the tequila and lime juice and top the drink off with Topo Chico.
That’s all it takes! Add a lime wedge or some additional jalapeño slices as garnishes if desired, and enjoy!
More Refreshing Cocktails To Try
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?