This tater tot casserole is classic comfort food packed with savory ground beef, creamy mushroom soup, and crunchy tater tots.
Plus, with just a few simple ingredients you can whip together this family favorite any day of the week. This recipe is incredibly easy to make, budget friendly, and can feed a hungry crowd!
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion (chopped)
1 (10.75 oz) can Campbell's Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
3 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3 cups frozen Tater Tots
2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1. In a large skillet, cook the beef and onion over medium-high heat until beef is fully browned. Break up the meat as it cooks. Drain off excess liquid.
2. In a large bowl mix together the beef mixture with the Campbell's Soup, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, frozen mixed vegetables and 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
3. Transfer the mixture into a 12x8-inch shallow baking dish. Top the beef with tater tots.
4. Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes. Top the casserole with shredded cheese and bake for 5 additional minutes until cheese is melted. You'll know it's done when the tater tots are golden brown and the casserole is bubbling.
Tips & Tricks for Making the Best Tater Tot Casserole
- Cheese makes everything better, and tater tot casserole is no exception. This recipe calls for shredded cheddar cheese. But feel free to use whatever you like best! Freshly grated Colby Jack, Cheddar, or American all work well. You can even use a combination of flavors if you like.
- After a hearty dinner, the last thing you want to do is clean up. So to make things easier, spray the baking dish with a quality cooking spray before adding the casserole layers. This will make cleaning a breeze.
- Add some garlic to the beef to give it even more flavor. Or just use some garlic powder to keep it simple.
- Feel free to customize this casserole any way you like. I try to sneak in a few veggies every time I get the chance. Broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, and other veggies all work well in this casserole.
- You can also use ground turkey instead of beef for a healthy alternative.
- Give your casserole a sweet and smoky flavor by using barbecue sauce instead of ketchup. A simple swap that makes a huge difference.
- If you find the casserole a little too dry, try adding half a cup of milk. Or, you could double the mushroom soup. This way, your casserole will turn out extra moist and flavorful.
- Want to make this tater tot casserole ahead of time? Prepare and assemble the layers then freeze. When you’re ready to bake, pop it in the oven for about 60-90 minutes. Or, you can thaw it in the fridge overnight and bake for 35 minutes.
- What about leftovers? You can store this casserole in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Be sure to cover the dish well or transfer it into a sealed container. To reheat, pop it in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Alternatively, you can microwave it for 1-2 minutes on high.
- Be sure to use the right-sized dish to bake this casserole. If the dish is too small, the liquid will drip from it. If it is too big, the liquid will evaporate, making the casserole too dry. For reference, the dish should be filled ¾ of the way once you’re done with all the layers. A 12×8-inch dish works perfectly for this recipe.
- This recipe calls for a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, but you can use whatever canned soup you want. Cream of bacon, broccoli, or chicken soup all sound good!
- Want to give your casserole even more flavor? Add a tablespoon of chipotle pepper, 1 tablespoon of chopped chives, 1 finely chopped jalapeno, and ¼ cup of finely chopped bacon.
Did you like the recipe?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!