This microwave cornbread recipe is undeniably the easiest way to make cornbread. And shockingly, it works beautifully!
I know. I was skeptical about it, too. But the sheer volume of recipes online got me curious. I tested it out, so you won’t have to.
And I have to admit. I was mind-blown by how amazing microwave cornbread turned out to be!
It’s slightly crispy on the outside and super moist. And you’ll love the delicate crumb on the inside.
5-Minute Microwave Cornbread Recipe
This cornbread is slightly crispy on the outside and super moist. And you’ll love the delicate crumb on the inside.
It has just the perfect balance of sweet and savory, as well.
But the best part is that it’s effortless and comes together in just 5 minutes. Don’t believe me? Try it and see for yourself.
I did. And it was such a wonderful surprise when I removed the batter and saw a perfectly cooked cornbread! 100% kitchen magic!
Everything about this cornbread is simple, including the ingredient list. Here’s all you’ll need:
- All-purpose flour. It serves as the base of the cornbread and gives it its spongy, cake-like texture.
- Cornmeal. Made of dried and ground corn, it gives the cornbread its signature yellow hue. It’s also responsible for its crumbly texture and corn-filled flavor.
- Granulated sugar. For a slight hint of sweetness. (Leave it out if you don’t want any sweet notes.)
- Baking powder. The leavening agent that makes the cornbread batter rise.
- Salt. To contrast the sweetness.
- Egg. The binding agent that holds everything together.
- Milk. The liquid ingredient that saturates the dry.
- Vegetable oil. For maximum moisture.
How Do You Make Cornbread in the Microwave?
The steps couldn’t be easier, either. It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3!
1. Prepare. Grease a microwave-safe dish or bowl with non-stick spray or butter.
2. Combine the ingredients. Mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, eggs, milk, and oil in the microwave-safe dish.
Stop when you no longer see streaks of dry ingredients.
3. Microwave. Just 3-4 minutes on high, depending on how powerful your microwave is.
Insert a toothpick into the center of the cornbread to test for doneness. It’s done when the toothpick comes out clean.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Microwave Cornbread
Here are a few final tips and tricks:
- Use equal parts flour and cornmeal. That’s the key to the perfect microwavable cornbread. Measure these ingredients accurately for best results.
- Don’t over-mix the batter. Whisk the ingredients well, stopping as soon as you no longer see streaks of cornmeal or flour. Over-mixing will yield tough and rubbery cornbread.
- Don’t skimp on the oil. Oil makes this cornbread remarkably moist. If you want more richness, you can substitute it with butter. Or use a mix of both.
- Healthy alternative. Want sweetness but don’t want to use sugar? Add Splenda instead. Alternatively, add more or less sugar to suit your tastes and dietary needs.
How Long Should You Microwave Cornbread?
Microwave ovens run differently from one another, so the length of cooking may vary.
On average, though, it’ll take about 2-4 minutes for the cornbread batter to cook in the microwave.
Basically, the higher the wattage and power, the faster the cornbread cooks.
To ensure you don’t overcook the cornbread, check for doneness at the 2-minute mark. Insert a toothpick into the center of the bread.
You know it’s done if the toothpick comes out clean.
This recipe makes for a wonderful blank cornbread canvas that you can doll up with any or a combination of mix-ins! Try any of these:
- Corn kernels. For an undeniably corn-y cornbread. Fresh, canned, and frozen kernels all work.
- Cheddar cheese. Because cheese and cornbread are a match made in heaven. You can use other kinds of melty cheese, too. Whatever you have on hand’s good.
- Crispy-fried bacon. It makes everything better. It can either be baked into the batter by adding it on top or served on the side.
- Blueberries. For a sweet and fruity cornbread.
- Jalapenos or green chilies. If you want a little bit of spice in your life.
What to Serve with Microwave Cornbread
Microwave cornbread makes for a delicious snack. Still, it’s even better when paired with these dishes:
- Chili, stews, and soups. Because of its high level of dip-ability, cornbread makes for a wonderful side to any kind of chili or soup.
- Meat. Whether it’s bacon, sausage, or barbecue, any meaty entree goes well with this carb-rich dish.
- Butter and honey, jam, or spread. For a simple but satisfying snack or breakfast.
- Turkey. Thanksgiving isn’t complete without this combo! Cornbread also pairs wonderfully with other Thanksgiving sides such as mashed potatoes and green bean casserole.
More Cornbread Recipes You’ll Enjoy
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?