This microwave cornbread recipe is undeniably the easiest way to make cornbread. And shockingly, it works beautifully!
I know. I was skeptical about it, too. But the sheer volume of recipes online got me curious. I tested it out so you won’t have to.
I was mind-blown by how amazing this recipe turned out!
This cornbread is slightly crispy on the outside and super moist with a delicate crumb on the inside.
It has just the perfect balance of sweet and savory, as well.
But the best part about it is that it’s ridiculously easy and comes together in just 5 minutes.
Don’t believe me? Try it and see for yourself.
5-Minute Microwave Cornbread Recipe
All of the cornbread recipes I’ve shared with you so far call for baking the batter in the oven. Up until just a few days ago, I thought it was the only way.
Then I came across a microwave cornbread recipe online.
It didn’t seem like it would work. I mean, traditional cornbread takes about 30 minutes to make.
The fact that this only requires 5 minutes seemed too good to be true.
It was such a wonderful surprise when I took out the batter from the microwave and saw a perfectly cooked cornbread!
I was honestly expecting something dense and rubbery, but this cornbread turned out wonderfully moist and tender.
It defies all odds! This is what I call kitchen magic, and you should definitely give it a try.
- All-Purpose Flour – It serves as the base of the cornbread that gives its spongy, cake-like texture.
- Cornmeal – Made of dried and ground corn, it gives the cornbread its signature yellow hue. It’s also responsible for the cornbread’s crumbly texture and corn-filled flavor.
- Granulated Sugar – For sweetness.
- Baking Powder – The leavening agent that makes the cornbread batter rise.
- Salt – To contrast the sweetness.
- Egg – The binder that ties the batter together.
- Milk – The liquid ingredient that saturates the dry.
- Vegetable Oil – For maximum moisture.
How Do You Make Cornbread in the Microwave?
It couldn’t be easier.
1. Grease a microwave-safe dish or bowl with non-stick spray or butter.
2. In it, combine all the ingredients: flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, eggs, milk, and oil. Stop until you no longer see streaks of dry ingredients.
3. Microwave. Just 3-4 minutes on high, depending on how powerful your microwave is. Insert a toothpick into the center of the cornbread to test for doneness. It’s done when the toothpick comes out clean.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Microwave Cornbread
- The key to the perfect cornbread texture is to use equal parts flour and cornmeal. Measure these ingredients accurately for best results. Don’t scoop them with a measuring cup. Instead, use a spoon to transfer the ingredients to the measuring cup and level it flat with the back of a knife.
- Don’t over-mix the batter. Whisk the ingredients well, but stop as soon as you no longer see streaks of cornmeal or flour. Over-mixing will yield tough and rubbery cornbread.
- Oil makes this cornbread remarkably moist. If you want more richness, though, you can substitute it with butter, or a mix of both.
- Make this cornbread a little bit healthier by using Splenda instead of sugar.
- Adjust the sweetness by adding more or less sugar.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container and leave at room temperature for 3-4 days or refrigerate for up to a week.
How Long Should You Microwave Cornbread?
Microwave ovens run differently from one another, so the length of cooking may vary.
On average, though, it’ll take about 2-4 minutes for the cornbread batter to cook in the microwave.
Basically, the higher the wattage and power, the faster the cornbread cooks.
To ensure you don’t overcook the cornbread, check for doneness at the 2-minute mark. Insert a toothpick into the center of the bread.
You know it’s done if the toothpick comes out clean.
This recipe makes for a wonderful blank cornbread canvas that you can doll up with any or a combination of mixins!
- Corn kernels – For an undeniably corn-y cornbread. Fresh, canned, and frozen kernels all work.
- Cheddar cheese – Because cheese and cornbread are a match made in heaven. You can use other kinds of melty cheese, too. Whatever you have on hand’s good.
- Crispy-fried Bacon – It makes everything better. It can either be baked into the batter by adding it on top or served on the side.
- Blueberries – For a sweet and fruity cornbread.
- Jalapenos or Green Chilies – If you want a little bit of spice in your life.
What to Serve with Microwave Cornbread
Microwave cornbread makes for a delicious snack, but it’s better when paired with these dishes!
- Chili, stews, and soups – Because of its high level of dip-ability, cornbread makes for a wonderful side to any kind of soup.
- Meat – Whether it’s bacon, sausage, or barbecue, any meaty entree goes well with this carb-rich dish.
- Butter and honey, jam, or spread – For a simple but satisfying snack or breakfast.
- Turkey – Thanksgiving isn’t complete without this combo! Cornbread also pairs wonderfully with other Thanksgiving sides such as mashed potatoes and green bean casserole.
More Cornbread Recipes You’ll Enjoy
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?