“If you’re going to be something, be the best.” The adage probably doesn’t refer to food, but Jimmy Dean sausage balls are the best.
So if you plan to make sausage balls- they might as well be the best. And that means using Jimmy Dean sausage.
Sausage balls made with Jimmy Dean are juicy, tender, succulent, and delicious. They are flavorful, cheesy, and filling for their size.
You can always substitute another sausage brand, of course. But I’m telling you- they will not taste as good as Jimmy Dean sausage balls.
Jimmy Dean Sausage Balls
Are you looking for a delicious, easy-to-make appetizer that won’t break the bank? These sausage balls are perfect.
You can make them with as few as three ingredients. (Sausage, cheese, and baking mix.)
However, they taste even better with onions, celery, garlic, and pepper.
Even with the extra ingredients, these sausage balls are still reasonably inexpensive. And you cannot beat them for convenience.
Dump everything in a bowl, mix, and roll out the balls. The oven does everything else.
You can have them ready from scratch in about 30 minutes.
And best of all, they work well for every occasion. Game Day parties, potlucks, Christmas appetizers, weekend breakfasts, etc.
You can whip these up any time of year, and you will receive no complaints. But you might get a few recipe requests.
- Two packages of sausage. I always go with Jimmy Dean’s regular flavor breakfast sausage. However, if you want a little spice, use the spicy version.
- Sharp cheddar. Fresh-grated cheese is best for this recipe.
- All-purpose baking mix. Bisquick is my go-to, but any baking mix is fine. You can even make your own DIY Bisquick mix if you prefer.
- Onion and celery. Lots of sausage ball recipes do not include these ingredients. However, these simple ingredients take sausage balls from yummy to incredible.
- Minced garlic and black pepper. These ingredients, too, add a little extra oomph to the already tasty recipe. If you use spicy sausage, you can skip the pepper.
- Or not! Nothing wrong with some heat.
How to Make Jimmy Dean Sausage Balls
See the recipe card below for a complete list of ingredients and directions.
However, making these sausage balls is a simple process. Just remember these four easy steps:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and measure out your ingredients.
Set the sausage out on the counter. Let it soften for about 10 minutes. The softer and warmer it is, the easier it is to work with.
Once everything is ready, dump all the pre-measured ingredients into a bowl.
Then, stir them together until they combine into one cohesive mixture.
Spoon the mixture a little at a time and roll it into balls. Each one should be about 1 inch in diameter.
Place them all on an ungreased baking sheet, leaving a bit of space between them.
Bake the sausage balls in the preheated oven until golden brown. It should take about 20 minutes.
Remove the tray from the oven and let the balls cool for about 5 minutes. After that, you can use toothpicks to transfer them to a serving platter.
Enjoy right away, or cover them for later. (Let them cool before covering and refrigerating them.)
Tips for the Best Sausage Balls
- Do not substitute another sausage brand. It sounds like I’m being paid to advertise for Jimmy Dean. (I’m not- I promise!)
- But Jimmy Dean provides the best taste and texture.
- Grate your own cheese. Pre-shredded, packaged cheese includes ingredients that keep it from clumping.
- That makes it less suitable for cooking in a recipe like this one.
- Freshly grate your cheese; you will thank me later.
- Use a cookie scoop to make your balls. This saves lots of time. And it ensures the balls are all a similar size and shape.
- You can shape them with your hands, of course.
- Use a mixer if you have one. Hand-mixing with a spoon is fine. However, mixing the ingredients in a mixer will save you time and elbow grease.
- Use spicy sausage if you prefer. Again, I recommend sticking to Jimmy Dean. (They have a spicy variety!)
- Experiment with different cheeses. I like sharp cheddar, but pepper jack and mozzarella also taste great.
- Add extra herbs. Thyme, parsley, and paprika are excellent additions to this recipe. Green onions and chives give it a nice umami kick, as well.
- Mix in some flavor add-ins. Some people add diced jalapenos and crumbled bacon.
- Others prefer spinach or even pineapples. Don’t be afraid to try new things!
You can serve these sausage balls for breakfast or brunch. Or you can use them as appetizers for any occasion.
Either way, pairing them with the right things is crucial.
Here are some of my favorite things to serve with sausage balls:
- Qdoba Queso or Rotel Dip. Both cheesy dips are perfect for dipping your sausage balls into.
- They’re rich and gooey. And they add a wallop of extra yumminess to the delicious sausage balls.
- Bob Evans Sausage Gravy.Serving sausage balls with sausage gravy may seem like too much sausage.
- Honestly, though, the two are perfect for one another.
- Think of your sausage balls like biscuits and dip them right in!
- McDonald’s Hot Mustard Sauce. This is another excellent option for dipping.
- Easy Oatmeal Pancakes or IHOP Pancakes. Sausage and pancakes are always a winning breakfast combination.
- And yes, the same is true of sausage balls and pancakes, too!
Storing, Reheating, & Freezing
Have some leftover sausage balls? No problem!
You can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will last for up to 4 days.
You can also freeze them to extend their life further.
Transfer the balls to a lined baking sheet and freeze them uncovered for 2 hours. Then, transfer them to freezer-safe Ziploc bags.
You can freeze the bags for 2-3 months.
Pop chilled sausage balls in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-10 minutes.
If you need to reheat frozen sausage balls, set the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, cook them for 18-20 minutes.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?