Have a serious chocolate obsession? You’d better try this death by chocolate recipe today! One spoonful of this sinful trifle will take you to chocolate heaven.
It only takes one look at those gorgeous layers of brownies, pudding, whipped cream, and crushed toffee bars to know that this dessert is the ultimate decadence.
It’s also a dessert that tastes phenomenal, no matter how it turns out. Even if you mess up the brownies, it will still be amazing.
It’s the easiest, most fool-proof way to impress your family and friends!
Plus, because of its sheer size and richness, death by chocolate can easily feed a crowd. That’s even more reason to serve it at your next party.
I’m pretty sure you’re already drooling, so let’s dig in!
Death By Chocolate Recipe
Death by chocolate is a trifle that’s ultra-loaded with chocolate. It has layer upon layer of brownies, whipped cream, pudding, and is topped off with crunchy crushed candy bars.
You’ll be able to taste each layer apart, but together, they form one harmonious bite. It’s truly every chocolate lover’s dream dessert.
Best of all, it could not be easier to make and it’s impossible to mess up. It uses the most basic ingredients that you probably already have on hand, too!
All you’ll need is to make the brownies, mix the pudding, crush the candies, and layer them in a bowl!
The most difficult part is having to wait until it cools. It takes at least 4 hours in the fridge to get to its maximum flavor, but trust me, it’s worth the wait.
Fun fact: the word “trifle” originated from the French word, “trifle,” meaning “something whimsical.”
With all its pretty and mouthwatering layers, no wonder that’s what it’s called!
A classic trifle consists of a light and airy angel food cake layered with custard, fruit, and topped with cream.
This chocolate version is just as well-loved, however. It adds a chocolate spin to the beloved classic, and it’s 100% chocoholic-approved.
It only takes four basic ingredients to make this ridiculously sinful dessert. Make yours today!
- Brownie Mix – Any brownie mix will do! Use your favorite or whatever you have on hand. If you have your own recipe, by all means, feel free to use it.
- Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix – Use an instant pudding mix to make your life much easier. However, cooked pudding works, too. Just be sure to let it cool completely before use.
- Frozen Whipped Topping – Again, you’ll use pre-made whipped cream for hassle-free baking. But if you prefer to make your own, go right ahead.
- English Toffee Bars – It’s the cherry on top! You can also use other crushed candy bars as you wish.
Tips for the Best Death By Chocolate
- Apart from the taste and texture, what makes trifle so stunning is the look. That’s why you’ll want to serve it in a glass bowl because you’ll want everyone to see the beauty of every layer.
- That said, you’ll want to be careful when assembling the layers in the trifle bowl. Spoon the pudding into the center of the bowl and use a flat spatula to spread it all over. Clean the edges with a damp cloth or paper towel after every layer.
- If you don’t have a trifle bowl, any tall glass bowl will do. You can also use individual glass bowls for single servings.
- Let the ingredients cool to room temperature before layering.
- Fresh is always best, so if time and resources permit, use homemade whipped cream instead of store-bought. All you’ll need is an electric mixer, whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla. Whip the ingredients together until it forms soft peaks, and you’re all set.
Can This Dessert Be Made Ahead?
It absolutely can be. In fact, it’s highly recommended that you do!
Making it up to 24 hours ahead softens the brownies and gives the flavors time to meld together, giving you an even better, more legendary trifle.
Also, if you’re worried the brownies might get too soggy, you can also prepare the component in advance, and layer them four hours before the trifle needs to be served.
Customizations and Add-ins
The great thing about trifles is that they are easily customizable! You can basically throw in whatever sweet ingredient you have on hand, and it will still taste amazing.
If you’re looking for inspiration, here are some of my most recommended variations and additions.
- Use a different-flavored pudding. It doesn’t have to be all chocolate! Banana, vanilla, and cheesecake pudding all make tasty alternatives.
- You can also replace the brownies with angel food cake or pound cake. Any cake you want works, really!
- Serving the cake to adults? Spike the brownies with Kahlua for a boozy trifle!
- Add a layer or two of your favorite fruits. Berries, mangoes, peaches – you name it.
- For an added crunch, garnish your trifle with crushed roasted nuts. I’m talking cashews, pecans, almonds, macadamias. Yum.
- Aside from toffee bars, you can also use your favorite candy bars. I love using Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups because peanut butter complements chocolate really well.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?