If you love Taco Tuesday – you’ll love this easy Crockpot taco soup! It’s perfect for busy weeknights when you want something quick, hearty, and healthy.
This recipe is packed with flavor that the entire family will enjoy. Even my picky eaters enjoy a warm bowl of easy peasy taco soup.
Top it off with cheese, cream cheese, and tortilla strips, and you’ll have classic comfort food.
How to Make Taco Soup
This taco soup is bursting with so much flavor that you might think it’s complicated to make. But it’s not. Especially when you make it in the slow cooker.
Here’s how easy it is to whip up this savory comfort food:
- Brown your meat until it’s cooked all the way through then drain out the liquid.
- Place remaining ingredients in the crock-pot: beans, chilies, tomatoes, corn, seasoning, all of it. Note: Do not drain the cans! We want all those flavors to meld and marry in the crock-pot.
- Mix the ingredients well and cook for 2 hours on high or 4 to 6 hours on low.
- Garnish with your desired toppings (cheese, sour cream, cherry tomatoes and avocado are some of my personal favorites :).
Taco Soup Ingredients
Even though there are quite a few ingredients in this recipe, many of them are pantry staples that you’ll already have on hand.
So please don’t be discouraged from making this delicious soup. I promise it will be worth it.
- Pinto and white or kidney beans. If these aren’t available, use black or northern beans instead.
- Canned corn. You can also use fresh corn. But if you do, add it during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Canned tomatoes and chilies. I used Rotel in this recipe, but you can use your brand of choice.
- Canned diced tomatoes and canned diced green chilies. Or, to make life easier, canned diced tomatoes with green chilies. Totally your call.
- Taco seasoning mix. You can make your own seasoning mix by combining chili powder, paprika, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. But around my house I’m always looking for a shortcut, so I go with the premade packet.
- Ranch dressing and seasoning mix. If you can’t find this at your local store, you can DIY it by combining buttermilk, crushed dried parsley, dried dill weed, onion powder, dried onion flakes, salt and garlic, and blend until smooth.
- Ground beef, shredded chicken, or literally any ground meat. I like ground beef the most. If that’s your preference too, use either 85% to 90% lean. If you’re a vegetarian, use beans instead of meat.
What to Serve with Taco Soup
With taco soup, the possibilities are endless. But, when you’re serving this recipe to guests, not everybody has the same preferences. So I suggest you lay out a tray of toppings so your friends can choose their favorites.
Plus, it’s a lot more fun!
Here are some of the best toppings for taco soup:
- Shredded cheese. Cheddar is great, but for a change, why not try Cotija? This Mexican cheese has a strong flavor and is super salty. It doesn’t melt and is great at adding flavor to any soup.
- Avocado. For that creamy, buttery flavor. Plus, it’s a great source of protein, fiber, vitamins, omega-3 fatty acids, and all that jazz.
- Chips. People often use corn chips, but flour tortillas or Frito chips taste amazing with taco soup, too.
- Sour cream. Or Greek yogurt. Or Crema Mexicana. Or whatever type of fermented milk you like!
- Chopped cilantro and green onion. This duo is full of flavor and will bring your taco soup to the next level. For that extra kick, add some slices of fresh or pickled jalapenos as well!
- Guacamole. It’s an even better topping than plain avocado! Just add tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, salt, and jalapeno to your avocado and you’ll have a tasty Mexican dip.
Taco soup makes a great meal all by itself. But you can also serve it with a variety of side dishes. My favorites are Mexican cornbread and grilled cheese.
If you have a group of hungry guests, serve your soup with Mexican rice! They’ll leave your house with full tummies and grateful hearts.
Can You Freeze Taco Soup?
Not that you’ll likely have any leftovers, but absolutely! If you freeze taco soup the right way, it can last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
For best results, let the soup cool to room temperature. Place it in a freezer-safe Ziplock bag and seal well.
Or, you can place them in individual containers so you won’t have to reheat all at once.
To reheat, let it thaw out in the fridge overnight and cook for 25 minutes on the stove, or microwave until warm.
This recipe is so simple there’s no way it won’t taste great. Still, here are some quick suggestions to make your taco soup taste even better.
- If you’re on a low-sodium diet, drain and rinse the beans before placing them in the crock-pot. This will reduce the saltiness of the dish significantly. You could also skip the ranch seasoning.
- Don’t forget to drain the fat from the meat after browning. This will help enhance the flavor of the soup.
- The combination of pinto and white beans is exquisite, but if you only have one kind available, it won’t be the end of the world! Your taco soup will still taste amazing.
My Final Thoughts
Taco soup is a rich and flavorful dish that’s best enjoyed with loved ones. Now that you know how easy it is to make, why not cook for the family tonight?
There’s nothing like snuggling with the kids in front of a burning fireplace and chowing down some excellent taco soup.
More Spicy Soup Recipes to Enjoy
Chick-fil-A Chicken Tortilla Soup
15 Bean Soup
Paula Deen’s Taco Soup
Trisha Yearwood Chicken Tortilla Soup
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
58 thoughts on “Easy Crockpot Taco Soup Recipe”
I love soup and will give this a go.
Would love to make this for lunch on a chilly day!
This looks amazing! I love a good cook-on-low all day type of soup….always makes the house smell divine!
This soup recipe sounds like a keeper!! I’m so making it!!
Well, it really is time to pull out the big pots, or crocks! I make some kind of soup once a week. This Taco soup looks wonderful. Thanks for adding to my recipes 🙂
This looks so good. I pinned it to try it. Thanks so much for sharing.
This looks delicious! Always looking for a fast, easy and nutritious weeknight meal for the kiddies. Thanks for sharing
This looks good but we have to leave out the corn or my husband won’t eat it
Oh, this Easy Crockpot Taco Soup Recipe is a must-try. Sounds heavenly.
going to be making this week for sure
All the flavors of yummy tacos in a soup! This is a great recipe!
Taco soup is my all time favorite soup…interesting the addition of the Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing and Seasoning Mix! Will definitely be trying it.
That looks so easy and delicious.
Pinning! I know my husband will love this.
I could eat that any night of the week!! Thanks!!
With the colder weather coming, this recipe is a must have! I hope I win an Instant Pot. That way, I can enjoy this recipe and others while surviving Old Man Winter. Thanks!
I’ve never heard of adding the ranch powder before! Sounds yummy!
This looks absolutely amazing! Perfect for the cold weather we have right now!
Another addition to our simple meals for cold weather.
Ok, you hooked me. Now I have to try this. Thanks!
Looks wonderful. Not much of a pinto bean person though…I think I would try it with kidney beans or even black beans.
This looks delicious, but I’m a chili fan through and through 🙂
Looks so yummy. Can’t wait to try ?
Thank you for the recipe i will try this for sure ! Mmm such a good recipe for a cold winter day !
This looks delicious! Definitely have to make it soon! ?
I will be making this for my family. There are 8 of us, and soups go far and are filling.
Thank you for sharing your delicious recipes.
I just saved this to my recipes to try folder. Looks hearty and healthy.
Perfect recipe for a cold winter day!
This looks SO good! Can’t wait to try it.
Supper tonight…thank you!!
This sounds delicious! I would love to try something like this for my family soon.
I have actually made this and it’s delicious! I have never tried doing it in the crockpot though! I think I may have to try it!
That looks delicious!! It’s very windy n chilly here to day that would be great to warm the old tired bones up.
I can’t believe how easy this one is my family is going to love this! I wish I didn’t put my pork in the slow cooker already … tomorrow is covered! Ty!
Taco Tuesday can go on all winter with this recipe!
I’m so hungry for this right now and this is from just looking at the pictures. I’m definitely making this.
I have been making this recipe for a few years. I add two cans hominy instead of the corn and just one can of beans. I also add enough chicken broth to make it soup.
We make it about once a week and it’s delicious.
Looks like a great recipe! Going to make it next week. Yum!!!
My oldest nephew loves taco soup. I like the idea of a crockpot version because it’s less work, lol.
I like colourful mexican inspired cuisine. This is wonderful, would put my slow cooker to good use.. now if I had an IP..
Saving this recipe to give it a try. It looks excellent for a cold winter night. I was surprised to see the HIdden Valley was an ingredient.
I love cooking soups during the cooler weather. Being able to set and forget an instant pot would be nice, especially for cooking recipes with lentils like this one. I often cut down the liquid and use soup recipes over rice or pasta.
I’ll have to try this out next game day! Thanks!
Love this soup. Tried it in my traditional crockpot and was yummy..
This looks like a dish my family would enjoy. I have made taco soup but not in a crockpot and I would have never thought of adding Ranch Dressing and Seasoning MIx. I am excited to try this one.
This looks really tempting right now I would love a big bowl of it 🙂
It looks really tempting right now!! I would love a big bowl of it! I bet it warms you from the inside out! I bet it is high in protien as well I would love that!!
Cannot wait to make this next Tuesday when my son comes over for a visit! So healthy!
I love a hearty soup and this has it all! Looks so yummy and love the convenience of using the crock pot! Thanks for sharing these awesome food ideas 🙂
My family loves my chicken tortilla soup. Which I made tonight it’s cold here in the DFW area. Next week I plan on making this. I have a large family & always looking for affordable dinners & healthy dinners.
Soups like this that require little prep are so nice. I feel no shame pouring in canned or frozen veggies in soups to speed up prep. Save the chopping and cutting for salads! Another reason to love soup.
We’ve never had taco soup. I can tell by the ingredients we would love it. I plan to give it a try next week.
All the taste of a taco with none of the mess!
I would make this this in my Crockpot Express. I really like a nice healthy soup in the winter time to warm me up.
This recipe sounds so delicious. I know my family would love this. It is in the 30’s here so the perfect time for some good soup.
This came out SOOOOO GOOD!
I just want to let you and everyone know how delicious this taco soup is. I made it yesterday, exactly as written, and wouldn’t change a thing! Thank you for another fantastic recipe!