This Mediterranean chickpea salad recipe is the healthy solution for busy weeks! It’s quick, affordable, and meal prep-friendly.
Not to mention, it’s bursting with bright flavors and tons of texture.
I’m talking chickpeas, juicy tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers, and creamy avocado! What more could you ask for in a protein-packed salad?
I love all the fresh flavors and colors of this vibrant chickpea salad recipe! It’s a super healthy lunch that actually tastes good.
For a full list of quantities and the method, see the bottom of the post. For now, here’s a quick rundown of what you need:
- Chickpeas – AKA garbanzo beans. Use canned chickpeas to make the prep snappy.
- Avocado – Use a ripe yet firm avocado for the best texture and flavor.
- Cherry Tomatoes – Halved cherry tomatoes hold their shape well. Plus, they’re delicious!
- Cucumber – Persian or English cucumbers will have the best crunch. If you use regular cucumbers, peel them first to remove the waxy skins.
- Bell Pepper – I use green for the bitter and mildly sweet flavor. But any color of bell pepper works.
- Red Onion – For peppery bite!
- Parsley – For a burst of freshness and pop of color.
- Lemon Juice – A squeeze of fresh lemon adds acidity while enhancing all the flavors.
- Lemon Dressing – The bright lemon dressing makes this dish pop! Use olive oil, lemon juice, garlic clove, Dijon mustard, honey, salt, and pepper. For a vegan version, use maple syrup instead of honey.
How to Make Chickpea Salad
You can whip up this simple vegan recipe in just 15 minutes. Better yet, you can make it in one bowl if you want for easier cleanup.
Here are the basic steps:
1. Mix the salad ingredients. Just toss it all in a big bowl with the lemon juice.
2. Make the dressing. Whisk everything until well blended.
3. Dress and rest the salad. Toss the salad with the dressing then let it sit for about 10 minutes.
4. Stir and serve. Stir again and serve.
This salad is excellent on its own. But it pairs really well with grilled chicken or fish.
Tips and Recipe Variations
This garbanzo bean salad is so foolproof, there’s no way to mess it up! Still, I have a few tips and customizations that make it even better.
- Dice evenly. It will ensure you get a little bit of everything in each bite.
- Make it crunchier. For an extra crunch, add some roasted sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds.
- Add fresh feta. A sprinkle of feta cheese adds richness and makes it even more delish!
- Make it more filling. Need a little more fuel for the day? Add pasta, quinoa, or couscous. It’s simple, quick, and more substantial.
- Try other beans. You don’t have to stick to just chickpeas. Black beans, navy beans, or cannellini beans would all taste great and bulk it out nicely.
- Mix up the dressing. Italian dressing, creamy balsamic, or a lime cilantro dressing will add a flavor twist.
- Reduce the sodium. Watching your salt intake? Use low-sodium chickpeas or rinse them before using. Also, omit salt from the dressing.
How to Store
Leftover chickpea salad is great for a quick lunch or easy dinner. It’s also one of my go-to make-ahead meals for busy weeks.
If you go this route, add the avocado just before serving. That way, it doesn’t brown and turn mushy.
Here’s how to store this vegan salad properly:
To Make Ahead: Make the recipe as instructed, but leave out the avocado. Cover and refrigerate overnight, then add the avocado before serving.
For longer storage, store the salad and dressing separately. Then, combine before serving and enjoy within 3-4 days.
To Store: Transfer leftovers to an airtight container. Remove chunks of avocado, if possible, so it doesn’t turn. Refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
For storing leftovers with avocado, refrigerate and consume the next day.
More Hearty Salads We Adore
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?