Bisquick cheeseburger pie is a recipe that can be passed down to generations. It’s delicious and nutritious, and kids and adults alike all love it.
It’s a quick and simple recipe that you can make any weeknight, or in big batches to take to a potluck or barbecue.
It’s cheesy, comforting, and always extra satisfying!
But before you grab your apron and utensils, let’s pause, because maybe you’ve never heard of Bisquick cheeseburger pie before!
Impossible Cheeseburger Pie
The recipe for cheeseburger pie has been on the box of classic Bisquick since the 1970s. It’s also known as the “Impossible Pie” or the “Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie”.
With this simple recipe, you’ll have dinner on the table in just 40 minutes or less.
It’s a tasty mixture of beef, cheese, eggs, and Bisquick mix. It has a lovely, tender crust that you don’t have to go through the whole pastry process to get.
Cheeseburger pie is a casserole that the whole family will enjoy. Whenever I make it, there are never any leftovers!
You’ll need the following ingredients for this impossible cheeseburger pie:
- Ground beef. Opt for ground beef that’s at least 80% lean. You don’t want your meat to be too fatty or greasy. Too much grease will ruin the tender crust.
- Onion. Ground beef and onions go together almost as well as peanut butter and jelly. You don’t often find one without the other.
- Salt. You’ll need just a little to enhance all of the other flavors.
- Cheddar cheese. Freshly shred the cheese from a block. Avoid using pre-shredded cheese, as it won’t melt as well.
- Original Bisquick mix. You can’t forget the Bisquick! That’s the not-so-secret secret ingredient that gives you the phenomenal crust. (Without making you work so hard to get it.)
- Milk. Milk adds moisture, a creamy texture, and a robust flavor.
- Eggs. Eggs act as a binding agent and help hold everything together.
How to Make Cheeseburger Pie
1. Prepare. Gather your materials and ingredients, and grease a 9-inch glass pie plate. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Brown the meat. Cook the beef and onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the beef is fully browned.
Once the meat is ready, drain the excess grease and stir in the salt.
3. Start assembling the pie. Spread the beef mixture into the prepared pie plate. Sprinkle the Cheddar on top of it.
4. Mix the other ingredients. Combine all of the other ingredients in a separate bowl. Mix well until combined.
5. Finish the pie and bake. Pour the other ingredients on top of the beef and cheese in the pie plate.
Bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Cool, slice, and serve. Once the pie is ready, remove it from the oven. Let it cool slightly before cutting, then slice, serve, and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few tips to remember:
- Make it ahead of time. Follow the directions to make it, but stop short of baking it. Then, store it covered in the fridge, and add 5-8 minutes onto the bake time.
- Swap out the pie plate. You can bake your pie in a 9-inch deep-dish pan if you prefer that over a round pie pan.
- Freeze leftovers for a rainy day. Freeze any leftovers, or the whole casserole, for a quick dinner later on. Cheeseburger pie will last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Grate your own cheese! I’ve mentioned this already, but it’s worth saying twice. Freshly grated cheese melts a lot better than the pre-shredded types.
There are a few fun variations to this Cheeseburger Pie recipe:
- Cut back on calories. If you want it a little leaner, use ground chicken or turkey instead of the beef.
- Add condiments. Some recipes also add in ketchup, mustard, or dill pickle relish to really emulate an awesome cheeseburger.
- Add veggies. You can always add in your favorite frozen veggies or chopped fresh tomatoes to the ground beef, too.
- Give it some Mexican flair. Add about 3 tablespoons of taco seasoning to the beef mixture. Top with sour cream, avocados, or salsa, and enjoy the fiesta!
- Give it some Italian flair. Take a trip to Italy by adding 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning to the beef. Then switch out the Cheddar for mozzarella. Serve with some marinara sauce. I don’t know about you, but my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
- Add bacon. Make it a bacon cheeseburger pie by adding in some bacon when browning the beef.
- Buffalo-style cheeseburger pie. Use ground chicken instead of beef. Then, add in half a packet of ranch seasoning mix and 1/4 cup of your favorite buffalo sauce. This one is for a sports event or backyard party!
- Make it gluten-free. Simply use gluten-free Bisquick instead!
What to Serve with Bisquick Cheeseburger Pie?
Serve Cheeseburger Pie with a fresh salad on the side. I love to make a creamy Caesar salad to balance the meal.
What is Bisquick?
Bisquick provides a faster option than having to combine all the dry ingredients needed for bread or pastry making.
There is no shortage of amazing Bisquick recipes that will cut your time in the kitchen in half!
For the sheeseburger pie, you’ll want a bit of a crust, and the Bisquick makes it easy.
It’s a pre-made mix of flour, baking powder, shortening, and salt – basically a tasty way to cut corners and time in the kitchen.
How to Make Homemade Bisquick Mix
Bisquick makes this recipe a million times easier. But if you don’t have Bisquick in your pantry already, you can easily make it from other pantry staples.
Combine the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
Next, slowly work in 2 teaspoons of cold butter using a fork or a pastry cutter. Mix until it has a breadcrumb-like consistency. Then follow the cheeseburger pie recipe as normal.
More Bisquick Recipes to Try
Here are a few more recipes where using Bisquick will help you save time:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?