Sweet, rich white hot chocolate with loads of mini marshmallows will quickly become your new favorite treat.
I mean, is there anything more comforting on a cold, snowy night than hot chocolate?
White hot chocolate has everything you love about typical hot chocolate, only it’s white!
You forego the cocoa in favor of white chocolate chips.
It’s wonderfully easy to make and tastes absolutely divine.
So if you want to warm your belly when the weather turns cool, you’re in luck.
Just hang around and check out this recipe for white hot chocolate.
White Hot Chocolate
I don’t know about you, but I love winter. I adore sitting by the fire or Christmas tree with a mug of sweet warmth in my hands.
And it doesn’t get much sweeter or warmer than white hot chocolate.
It’s delightfully decadent and deliriously delicious. It’ll warm you from head to belly to toes with a single sip.
It’s full of yummy white chocolate and vanilla flavor.
And the extra chocolate chips and mini marshmallows make it even more fun.
It’s simple to make and the perfect twist on traditional hot chocolate.
It’ll also satisfy your sweet tooth without being too heavy. Don’t take my word for it, though.
Try it for yourself! After all, you can have it ready in just 15 minutes.
Is White Chocolate Really Chocolate?
This question has been around for decades, and everyone has an opinion. So, is white chocolate really chocolate?
Yes. But no.
And also, not really, but absolutely.
White chocolate is real chocolate in the sense that that’s how it’s marketed.
We call it white chocolate, so it’s chocolate. Still, it isn’t only chocolate in name. It really is chocolate.
It’s just not chocolate in the way that milk or dark chocolate is chocolate.
Most notably, it doesn’t contain cocoa liquors. (The stuff that makes chocolate chocolate.)
That’s why it isn’t brown like most chocolate. It’s also why it’s sweeter, not bittersweet, like its darker counterparts.
But it does still come from the cacao plant. Manufacturers make it from cocoa butter.
Therefore, it has a different color and flavor profile than chocolate liquors.
So, like it or not, white chocolate haters, white chocolate is chocolate. It’s just a different type of chocolate.
But it’s okay if you want to keep arguing that it isn’t. We won’t hold it against you.
There are lots of things to love about white hot chocolate. Its short and simple ingredients list is only one of them. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Milk. For most things, I use 2% milk. However, I like my hot chocolate to be extra thick and creamy. For that reason, I use whole milk in this recipe.
- Half-and-half. The half-and-half makes it even thicker and creamier. If you want to ensure this drink is as decadent as possible, use both.
- White chocolate chips. These are what give the drink its rich, white chocolate flavor. You can use white chocolate bars if you prefer. Just be sure to dice them up into small pieces before adding them to the pan. They’ll take too long to melt otherwise. Also, use a good brand of white chocolate or white chocolate chips. Splurge a little and go premium.
- Kosher salt. Salt enhances the other flavors and adds a touch of contrast to all the sweetness.
- Vanilla extract. You only need a little vanilla extract, but it does so much. It adds a wonderful richness to the flavor you just can’t beat.
- Mini marshmallows. Hey, no hot chocolate recipe is complete without these!
That’s it. These six simple ingredients are all you’ll need to whip up a mug full of belly-warming flavor.
I sometimes add extra toppings to mine, as well, though.
How to Make White Hot Chocolate
Making this recipe is effortless and takes 15 minutes or less. Here are the steps:
1. Combine the milk and half-and-half. These ingredients will be the base for your hot chocolate. Combine and warm them.
2. Add the other ingredients, cook, and stir. Next, add everything else (save the marshmallows) in the order listed below.
Start with the white chocolate chips. Continue to stir and heat the mixture until they’re well-melted. Then, add the salt and vanilla extract. Keep stirring until everything is warm.
3. Top with toppings and serve. Finally, pour the mixture into mugs. Then, top them with mini marshmallows and extra chocolate chips.
If you want extra stuff, whipped cream, cinnamon, etc., add those, too. Sip slowly and carefully. The drinks will be hot.
The toppings included in the recipe are white chocolate chips and mini marshmallows.
After all, mini marshmallows are pretty standard when it comes to hot chocolate.
However, those aren’t the only things you can use to top your delicious drink. Here are a few of my other favorite options:
- Whipped cream. The coolness of whipped cream always pairs nicely with warm drinks. I also love the sweetness and the creamy texture. You can add a dollop from a Cool Whip tub or spray it on from a can. You could even make your own! Marshmallow creme makes a good substitute if you’re all out of whipped cream.
- Cinnamon or nutmeg. These warm, rich spices add a nice touch to any hot chocolate recipe. Nutmeg especially pairs well with white chocolate. If you want to experiment with pumpkin spice or something else, try that, too! Cocoa powder also looks lovely against the white backdrop.
- Chocolate shavings. White or brown chocolate shavings would look attractive on top of this drink.
- Crushed pretzels. I love to mix salty and sweet. Sometimes, I crumble up a few pretzels and add them to my hot chocolate recipes. A dash of coarse sea salt is another good option.
- Chocolate or caramel syrup. Add a squeeze or two of your favorite sweet syrup. You can squeeze it into the chocolate or around the mug’s rim.
- A banana slice or two. This one may sound super weird, but I love it. There’s just something about bananas and white chocolate that go together well.
It’s your hot chocolate recipe! Add whatever toppings you like best. Even if people think it’s a little strange. 🙂
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?