Craving some old-school dessert? Sock It To Me Cake is a timeless classic. And it is a cake the whole family will enjoy!
Sock It To Me Cake is a moist and tender butter cake. It has a pecan sugar-cinnamon streusel filling and a vanilla glaze topping.
How good does that sound?!
This is a Bundt cake, so it has a rustic appeal, perfect for any occasion.
But the best part? You only need a box of cake mix, so it is beginner-friendly!
If you’re new to baking, Sock It To Me Cake is a great place to start!
What Is Sock It To Me Cake?
Sock It To Me Cake (SITMC) is a butter cake with crunchy sugar-cinnamon-pecans in the middle. And it has a decadent sugar glaze on top.
All the elements combine to create a well-balanced dessert. It is sweet but not overly rich. The texture is dense but not heavy.
And the cinnamon adds a delicious warmth.
SITMC is the perfect accompaniment to your daily coffee or tea.
Why Is It Called Sock It To Me Cake?
The original SITMC recipe comes from Duncan Hines. It was first printed in the 1960s on their Golden Cake Mix box. SITMC was instantly popular!
The catchphrase, “Sock it to me,” was popularized by the 1960s hit comedy show Laugh-In.
It essentially means, “Lay it on me.” But it can also be the idea of being forceful. Or making a big impression.
And this cake certainly makes a fantastic, flavor-forward impression!
While the phrase has lost popularity, the SITMC recipe is still on the Duncan Hines box.
- Ground Cinnamon, Brown Sugar, and Pecans- These ingredients create a delicious streusel filling for the cake.
- Butter Cake Mix- Use Duncan Hines Butter Golden Cake Mix for the classic recipe. You can use other brands, though.
- Sour Cream and Vegetable Oil- These make the cake moist and tender.
- Water- Cakes require a liquid to saturate the flour and other dry ingredients. You can use milk instead- for added richness.
- Eggs- They bind the ingredients and provide structure to the cake. They also add richness.
- Granulated Sugar- For sweetness.
- Powdered Sugar and Milk- Mix to make a sweet glaze for the top of the Bundt cake.
How to Make Sock It To Me Cake
1. Grease the Bundt pan well.
Use non-stick spray or butter to coat every ridge and cranny of the Bundt pan. Then, dust the greased pan with flour.
This will make cake release a breeze.
2. Make the filling.
Combine 2 tablespoons of the cake mix with cinnamon, brown sugar, and pecans.
3. Make the batter.
Combine the rest of the cake mix, sour cream, oil, water, eggs, and granulated sugar.
Mix until combined, with no flour, eggs, or sugar streaks.
4. Pour 2/3 of the batter into the greased and floured pan.
Add the pecan streusel on top of the batter.
Cover the streusel with the remaining batter.
5. Bake the cake.
Bake it at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 45-55 minutes.
Let the cake cool in the pan for 25 minutes. Then, you can transfer it onto a serving plate.
6. Make the glaze.
Combine powdered sugar and milk until smooth.
7. Pour the glaze over the cake.
Serve and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Cake
- Try not to overmix the batter. Stop mixing as soon as the ingredients just combine. Overmixing will yield a rubbery cake.
- Add more spices to the filling mix. This gives you extra flavor! Nutmeg, allspice, and cardamom are fantastic options.
- Grease the bundt pan generously. Grease all the nooks and crannies. Dust the pan with flour afterward for good measure.
- Not greasing and flouring well enough will make cake release a struggle.
- Microwave leftover cake for 20 seconds to give it a freshly baked feel.
Cake Topping Ideas
If you don’t think sugar glaze is enough, make your cake extra with these toppings!
- Chocolate Chips– White, semi-sweet, milk, dark, butterscotch. Take your pick.
- A Glaze with Flavor– Try a chocolate, strawberry, or orange glaze icing.
- Crushed Candy Bars– Use ones with a sweet and salty flavor profile for a nice flavor contrast.
- Heath, Snickers, and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups work well here.
- Fresh Berries– For a refreshing contrast to the decadent cake.
More Bundt Cakes You’ll Love
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?