Scotcharoos have been a beloved favorite for generations. These delectable no-bake bars are made of crispy rice cereal. It’s combined with creamy peanut butter and a chocolate and butterscotch topping.
They’re kid-friendly and so easy to make, taking only 15 minutes.
Making Scotcharoos is a rewarding adventure in itself. Each bite is like taking a trip down memory lane.
You’ll love the sheer joy of creating and savoring these delightful treats.
What is a Scotcharoo?
Scotcharoos are a popular dessert snack popularized by Rice Krispies. The brand had the recipe printed on cereal boxes back in the 1960s. They immediately became a hit.
Apart from having a catchy name, scotcheroos are a delicious treat. They’re easy and convenient to make since they don’t require baking.
They have a bottom layer made of Rice Krispies and peanut butter. The topping is a combo of chocolate and butterscotch. It’s a crunchy and chewy treat with a wonderful balance of sweet and salty flavors.
Also, technically, the correct spelling is “scotcheroos”. However, the term “scotcharoos” has been used so often, it’s an acceptable spelling as well.
How to Make a Scotcharoo
Scotcharoos are among the easiest snacks to make. Here’s how:
Combine sugar, peanut butter, and corn syrup in a pot over medium heat. Stir the mixture until the peanut butter melts. Once the mixture is boiling, remove the pot from heat.
Stir in the rice cereal until it’s incorporated. Transfer it to a buttered pan. Butter your hands as well and press the cereal mixture down into the pan. Don’t pack it too densely, or you’ll end up with tough scotcharoos.
And there you have it, your base is done!
The Chocolate-Butterscotch Topping
Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir it until you get a smooth mixture.
Drizzle the chocolate and butterscotch topping over the cereal mix. Allow it to cool and slice it into squares.
Voila! Your scotcharoos are now ready to serve. However, the bars are even better after cooling on the counter for an hour or two.
Tips & Tricks
- Don’t forget the corn syrup. Use whatever brand of puffed rice you want. But don’t change or omit the corn syrup. It’s a crucial ingredient and contributes to the chewiness of the bars. Without it, you’ll end up with tough and brittle scotcharoos.
- Don’t overboil. Be sure you remove the sugar-corn syrup mixture just as it boils. If it boils for too long, your scotcharoos will turn out dry.
- Add butterscotch chips. Want to impress your family and friends? Fancy things up by drizzling more melted butterscotch chips over the topping. Then, use a toothpick to form pretty swirls. It’s a simple trick that makes scotcharoos even more irresistible. You can also top them with chopped nuts, sea salt, mint, candied ginger, shaved coconut, sprinkles, or orange zest.
- Don’t rush things. Wait a few minutes for the top layer to firm up before you slice into the squares. It’s worth the wait!
- Take a shortcut. If you’re in a hurry, you can speed things up a little and refrigerate the scotcharoos. This will allow the topping to set quicker. But it’s still best to serve the bars at room temperature.
- Resist the urge to use the microwave. Using the microwave has become a common technique for melting chocolate. But it’s difficult to do with butterscotch. Because it scorches easily, it’s better to melt it using the stovetop. That way, you can monitor its progress and stir it more constantly.
- Vary up the cereal. We have to thank Rice Krispies for this incredible creation. But you can also use other types of cereal as an alternative. As long as you use cereal that’s fragile and crispy, it’ll work. Some people prefer Chex, while others like Cornflakes.
- Make them gluten-free. For a gluten-free scotcharoo recipe, use certified gluten-free peanut butter. This isn’t hard to find since most kinds of peanut butter don’t contain gluten, anyway. Use gluten-free chocolate and butterscotch chips and cereal as well.
Can You Freeze Scotcharoos?
Most definitely! Seal them in a Ziploc back or air-tight container in the freezer. Place a sheet of wax paper between the bars to prevent them from sticking to each other. Frozen scotcharoo bars will last for up to 6 months.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?