Are you craving a beach vacation? Bring the tropics home with this tantalizing Bermuda Rum Swizzle recipe!
It’s a sinful combo of rum, orange and pineapple juices, and grenadine. A dash of bitters rounds out the flavors with hints of spice and bite.
This refreshing summer sipper tastes like sunshine, ocean waves, and breezy cabanas. And it’s not to be missed!
What is a Bermuda Rum Swizzle?
The Bermuda Rum Swizzle is a tropical rum-based punch cocktail with fruit juices, grenadine, and bitters.
It’s sweet but balanced and perfect for your next cocktail night!
The Rum Swizzle was invented in Bermuda at The Swizzle Inn Pub & Restaurant in the 1930s.
Locals and tourists alike flocked to the pub for this fruity libation. And they still do!
In fact, its popularity earned it the title of “Bermuda’s National Drink.”
Traditionally, it features Gosling’s Black Seal dark rum, which is known for its complexity and richness.
Meanwhile, white rum adds brightness, and the fruit juices and grenadine make it taste like paradise. Yum!
This might not be as easy to make as some cocktail recipes, but it’s not hard, either.
And if you’re an avid cocktail drinker, it doesn’t call for anything you won’t already have:
- Rum- You’ll use white and dark rum for this drink. I recommend Ten To One or The Real McCoy 3 Year Old Rum for the white. And Gosling’s Black Seal for the dark, which is part of the OG recipe.
- Orange Juice- Freshly squeezed is best (strain out the pulp). It adds a bright sweetness without the glaring acidity you find in many pre-packaged OJs.
- Pineapple Juice- Again, fresh is best and it’s how you make this taste authentic. Simply blend fresh pineapple chunks and strain out the juice.
- Grenadine- Grenadine adds delicious, pomegranate-flavored sweetness.
- Angostura Bitters- Bitters add much-needed balance and complexity to this sweet drink. You’ll notice spicy notes of clove and cinnamon.
- Ice- To chill the ingredients and for serving.
- Garnishes– Garnishes are optional. But this drink isn’t complete without a cocktail cherry and an orange slice or pineapple wedge.
How To Make a Rum Swizzle
As you can see from the ingredient list, this isn’t a simple 3-ingredient cocktail. But you know what? It comes together like one!
Just mix, strain, and enjoy:
1. Prep the cocktail. Fill a glass halfway with ice. Add all the cocktail ingredients.
2. “Swizzle” the cocktail. Place a swizzle stick (or bar spoon) in the middle of the glass. Hold the stick between your palms and rub briskly, so it swishes the liquids together.
3. Strain the cocktail into a separate glass with fresh ice.
4. Garnish and enjoy. Add your choice of cocktail cherry, an orange slice, and a pineapple wedge. Then, sit back, relax, and enjoy your beachy beverage!
Tips and Variations
Since this is so easy to make, I don’t have too many tips. But I do have some fun recipe variations!
- Make it extra boozy! Try fruit-flavored brandy, like peach or apricot. Or add pineapple vodka, Triple Sec, or Cointreau. Just add them slowly and taste the drink before adding more.
- Switch up the rum. Dark rum is standard in all Bermuda Swizzle recipes. But some call for Gold rum instead of white. I prefer the gold, but you can use whatever you like best. I think a spiced rum could be really yummy, too! Or even coconut Malibu.
- Use a cocktail shaker. This method isn’t technically a “swizzle.” But it is a little easier. Just add everything to the shaker and put in some elbow grease!
- Spice it up. Ground cinnamon and/or nutmeg would add a delicious touch of warmth. Cardamom or cloves might also be quite tasty – especially in the winter.
How to Make a Pitcher of Rum Swizzles
This recipe is perfect for batch cocktails. And it’s sure to be a hit at any backyard bash or pool party.
So, here’s how to do it (x4):
- Fill 1/3 of a large pitcher with ice.
- Multiply the ingredient measurements by 4 and add them to the pitcher.
- Use a large wooden spoon to stir vigorously until the liquid is cold.
- Then, you’re ready to serve.
I don’t recommend making this too early, as the ice will melt and dilute the drink. But you can mix the ingredients and then add the ice before serving.
More Rum Drinks to Enjoy
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?