The next time you’re invited to a cookout, bring this sensational pineapple casserole!
Get ready for a mouth-watering treat!
This dish is packed with juicy pineapple chunks smothered in gooey melted cheese and finished with a crispy cracker topping.
Now, I know what you might be thinking. Pineapple and cheese? In a casserole?
Trust me, it might sound unconventional, but it’s a match made in heaven.
If you’re a fan of sweet and savory dishes, then you’re in for a treat.
This pineapple casserole is sure to leave you wanting more.
Let’s take a moment to talk about pineapple casserole. It’s an iconic dish that’s been gracing Southern tables for generations.
If you’ve never tried it before, you’re in for a treat.
And if you have, well, you know exactly what I’m talking about!
Loaded with pineapple chunks, ooey-gooey cheese, and buttery crackers, there’s so much to love about this casserole.
This sweet and savory dish is perfect for feeding a crowd at cookouts and can be easily made in large batches.
Plus, it’s a bit unexpected, so it’s sure to stand out among the sea of potato salads and baked beans.
But what really sets pineapple casserole apart is its flavor.
The juicy pineapple combined with melted cheese and a crunchy topping is a taste sensation that will have people begging for the recipe.
The great thing about pineapple casserole is that it’s versatile.
You can serve it as a side dish, a dessert, or as a main course with some added protein, like ham or chicken.
And the best part? It’s super easy to make.
Mix everything together, sprinkle with cracker crumbs, and bake until golden brown. That’s it!
So, whether you’re looking to impress your friends or want to try something new, pineapple casserole is sure to delight you.
So why not give it a try?
Whip up a batch for your next cookout, and watch as everyone comes back for seconds (and maybe even thirds).
Here’s what you need to make pineapple casserole:
- Pineapple chunks: These sweet chunks of pineapple are the star of this casserole. Whether you use fresh or canned pineapple, it adds a tropical twist to this classic dish.
- Crushed pineapple: This helps to add more pineapple flavor to the casserole and helps it hold together. Be sure to drain the juices.
- Cheese: Cheese lovers, rejoice! The sharp cheddar cheese in this recipe adds a tangy, savory flavor to balance out the sweetness of the pineapple.
- Sugar: Add some sugar to the recipe to bring out the sweetness of the pineapple. Feel free to adjust the amount to your liking, depending on how sweet you like your desserts.
- Flour: To help bind the casserole together and give it a thicker, creamier texture. Go for all-purpose flour.
- Buttery round crackers: For a crunchy, buttery topping, use crushed buttery round crackers, like Ritz. These are the perfect complement to the creamy, sweet pineapple filling.
- Butter: Adding melted butter to the crushed crackers helps bind them together and create that crunchy topping. Yum!
How to Make Pineapple Casserole
1. Heat the oven.
Let’s start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. This will ensure our casserole bakes evenly.
2. Drain the pineapple chunks.
Grab a can of pineapple chunks and drain the juice into a measuring cup. You’ll need to reserve about 1/4 cup of the juice, so don’t throw it away!
Transfer the pineapple chunks and reserved juice into a large mixing bowl.
3. Mix, mix, mix. Add the crushed pineapple, cheese, sugar, and flour to the mixing bowl with the pineapple chunks and juice.
Use a spatula or spoon to mix everything together until it’s well combined.
4. Pour the mixture into a casserole dish.
Next, we’ll need to transfer our mixture to a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. Be sure to spread it out evenly so it cooks evenly.
5. Add the crushed crackers.
In a small bowl, mix the crushed crackers (like Ritz) and melted butter together until combined.
Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the pineapple mixture in the casserole dish.
Now it’s time to bake our casserole. Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and crispy.
Once your pineapple casserole is done baking, take it out of the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
Then, serve it up and enjoy the sweet, buttery, and creamy goodness of this classic Southern dish.
Tips for the Best Casserole
Follow these tips and variations to make the best pineapple casserole possible:
- Use canned pineapple with juice. Reserve some of the juice to add to the cracker topping for added flavor.
- Use pineapple tidbits. If using larger chunks, you can cut them into smaller pieces.
- Add chopped ham or bacon. This’ll add a savory twist to this sweet casserole.
- Use different types of cheese. Try Gouda or Monterey Jack for a different flavor profile.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over the topping. This’ll give it a little extra warmth and depth of flavor.
- Swap out crackers for cornflakes or breadcrumbs. For a different texture and taste.
- Top with chopped pecans or walnuts. They’ll add a nutty flavor and crunch.
- Top with shredded coconut or coconut flakes. Coconut pairs beautifully with pineapple.
- Drizzle honey or maple syrup on top. It’ll add a touch of sweetness to the casserole.
- Don’t overmix the filling. This can make it too dense and heavy.
- Serve the casserole hot. It tastes best fresh out of the oven.
- Experiment with ingredient ratios. Customize the recipe to your taste!
- Storage instructions: store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- How to serve: Serve it as a side to ham, pork chops, or grilled chicken. It can also be enjoyed as a dessert alongside vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
How to Store and Reheat
To store leftover pineapple casserole, put a lid on the casserole dish or transfer it to an air-tight container and refrigerate.
The pineapple casserole will last for around 4 days in the fridge if stored properly.
To reheat your leftovers, the quickest method is to microwave single portions.
Reheat them in 10-second increments until warmed through.
Just bear in mind, if you’re reheating more than one serving, you’ll need to use the oven.
Simply bake the casserole in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes, or until it’s heated thoroughly.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?