If you love cakes, then you need to give Paula Deen’s sour cream pound cake a go! This classic Southern treat is a total crowd-pleaser. The recipe from her Grandmother Paul is truly a gem!
It has a melt-in-your-mouth, buttery texture and a heavenly vanilla-almond flavor. It’s perfect as a post-dinner delight. It’s also great as a little pick-me-up whenever you need it.
If you’re new to the world of pound cakes, don’t fret! This recipe is simple and easy to follow, even for baking newbies.
So, what are you waiting for? Grab your apron and your mixing bowl and get baking!
Paula Deen’s Sour Cream Pound Cake
So, you might wonder why sour cream is a key ingredient in Paula Deen’s sour cream pound cake.
Well, let me tell you! There are a few reasons this tangy dairy product is a total game-changer.
First of all, the sour cream adds a delightful, tangy flavor to the cake. It balances out the sweetness of the sugar and the richness of the butter. It’s the perfect combination of flavors and will leave you wanting more.
Second, sour cream helps keep the cake moist and tender, even after baking. You won’t have to worry about a dry, crumbly cake with this recipe! It’s perfectly moist and oh-so-delicious.
But what really makes this recipe a winner is Paula Deen’s magic touch.
She’s made a name for herself by creating delicious, classic Southern dishes everyone loves. Her sour cream pound cake is no exception.
This cake will definitely impress, no matter the occasion.
Preheat your oven, grab a mixing bowl, and get ready to devour one of the most beloved desserts in the South.
- Vanilla extract: This delicious treat is made from vanilla beans and adds a warm, sweet flavor to the cake.
- Almond extract: Just a little bit goes a long way. It pairs perfectly with the vanilla to create a delightful flavor in the cake.
- Salt: Don’t skip it!
- Baking soda: Baking soda is a leavening agent that helps the cake rise and creates a light, tender texture.
- Eggs: Eggs provide structure and richness to the cake and help bind all of the ingredients together.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is the way to go for this recipe.
- Sour cream: Sour cream is the star of the show in this recipe. It adds a tangy flavor and moist texture that is essential for creating the perfect pound cake.
- Sugar: Obviously, sugar is a key ingredient in any cake. It adds sweetness and helps create that perfect, golden-brown crust on the outside.
- Butter: It adds richness and flavor to the cake, and helps create that melt-in-your-mouth texture everyone loves. Be sure you use real, unsalted butter for the best results!
How to Make Paula Deen’s Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Get the oven hot. First, preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. You have a delicious cake to bake, so get that oven hot and ready to go!
- Cream the butter and sugar. Grab a large mixing bowl and your mixer (handheld or stand). Cream the butter and sugar together until it’s light and fluffy. This will take a few minutes, but it’s worth it for that perfect texture.
- Throw in the sour cream. Once the butter and sugar are creamed, it’s time to add the star ingredient: sour cream! Mix it in until everything is well combined.
- Prep the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, get your dry ingredients ready. Sift together the baking soda and flour, ensuring everything is evenly mixed.
- Mix, mix, mix! Now comes the fun part. It’s time to mix it all together! Add the sifted flour mixture to the creamed mixture in three parts, alternating with the eggs. Be sure to start and end with the flour mixture. Beat each egg into the mixture one at a time until it’s well combined.
- Add some flavor. It’s time to add a burst of flavor with the vanilla and almond extracts. Give it a good stir until everything is combined.
- Grease up the cake pan. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan, ensuring to cover the entire surface. Pour the batter into the pan and spread it out evenly.
- Now it’s time to bake! Pop that cake into the oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let it cool. Once the cake is finished baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. This will help it set up and make it easier to remove.
- Enjoy! Invert the pan to remove the cake and transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely before serving. Slice it up and savor every bite. You did it!
How to Store Pound Cake
Storage: Once the cake is cool, store it tightly wrapped at room temperature for 3-4 days. If you need it to last a little longer, you can keep it in the fridge for a few more days.
Freezing: Wrap it tightly in plastic and foil, then place it in a freezer-safe bag. It will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to serve it, simply remove it from the freezer. Let it thaw at room temperature for a few hours.
Tips for the Best Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Scrape the bowl: After each stage of mixing, be sure to scrape down the bowl. This will ensure all the ingredients are properly incorporated.
- Try muffins: If you’re in a rush, divide the cake batter into muffin cups for a quick and easy breakfast on the go.
- Glaze it up: To add some extra sweetness, glaze the cake with icing. Make it by mixing powdered sugar with water or citrus juice, such as lemon or orange. Adjust the consistency to your liking, then pour it over the cake.
- Room temperature ingredients: Be sure all your ingredients, especially the butter, are at room temperature before starting. This will help everything combine more easily.
- Don’t overmix: Be careful not to overmix the batter or the cake will end up dry and tough. Just mix it enough until everything is combined.
- Prep your pan: Be sure to thoroughly grease and flour your cake pan before adding the batter. This will ensure the cake is easy to remove once baked.
- Cool it down: Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes before removing it. This will help it keep its shape and prevent it from falling apart.
- Cool completely: Let the cake cool completely on a wire rack before slicing. This will help it set and firm up, making it easier to cut and serve.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?