Millionaire’s Shortbread is a rich, decadent treat made up of three layers: a shortbread crust, chewy golden caramel, and thick chocolate ganache. I don’t know about you, but to me, it doesn’t get any better than that.
And because millionaire shortbread has three layers, you might find it intimidating to make, but it’s actually not complicated at all.
In fact, you can whip up these shortbread bars in just over an hour! Plus, it’s so delightful, it’s worth the effort. So, why eat regular shortbread when you can have millionaire’s shortbread instead?
What is Millionaire’s Shortbread?
For those of you who may have heard of millionaire shortbread before but have never really seen or tried it yet, here’s the gist: it’s a 3-layer cookie bar made of a shortbread crust, a layer of chewy golden caramel, topped with thick chocolate ganache. Imagine a gourmet version of the famous Twix candy bar.
And while no one knows exactly how it got its name, we’re guessing it’s because of the rich, decadent flavor. But you don’t have to be crazy rich to make these delightful treats! Anyone can make this tasty dessert. In fact, kids love to join in on this one.
In fact, all you need are a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. These bars are made with flour, butter, sugar, milk, chocolate, and maple syrup. Yum! Check out the simple recipe below.
How to Make Millionaire’s Shortbread
Part I: Shortbread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)
- Combine flour and butter cubes and pulse in the food processor until you form a fine breadcrumb mixture.
- Add sugar and mix until incorporated. Voila, you’ve made your shortbread mixture!
- Next, pour the shortbread mixture into a 9×9-inch baking pan lined with parchment paper. Press the shortbread down to create a firm crust in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Set aside and let the shortbread cool to room temperature.
Part II: Caramel
- While the shortbread is cooking, it’s time to make the caramel topping. Mix butter, maple syrup, and condensed milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Keep stirring until you form a smooth mixture. Increase the heat and bring mixture to a boil. Continue stirring until the mixture is thick and golden brown. Let it cool for a bit before proceeding.
- Pour the caramel over the shortbread. Set aside to let the caramel cool completely.
Part III: Chocolate Ganache
- Melt the chocolate. There are two methods to choose from:
- melt in a bowl over a pan of boiling water, or
- Cook in a microwave oven. Microwave in 20-second intervals and stir in between. Repeat until the chocolate is 75% melted. Stir until the chocolate is smooth and melted.
- Pour the chocolate over the cooled caramel. Refrigerate for an hour to allow the ganache to cool.
- Slice into squares. Wipe the knife after each slice with a wet paper towel to make life easier.
- Take a photo of the finished product, upload it on Instagram, and let your followers drool over your masterpiece.
- Serve to family and friends. Best eaten with a cup of coffee or warm milk.
Tips & Tricks
- Want to balance out the sweetness of the chocolate and caramel? Drizzle some sea salt to really make these flavors pop! It adds a nice crunch to the snack as well.
- Millionaire’s shortbread can last in the freezer for up to three months. Double-wrap the bars in aluminum foil and place it in an airtight container. Before serving, let thaw overnight on the countertop.
- When melting chocolate with a microwave, do not microwave for over 20 seconds at a time to avoid overheating and curdling.
- Want a prettier presentation to wow your friends? Swirl some white chocolate into your dark chocolate ganache and you’ll look like a pro in their eyes!
- No time to make shortbread from scratch? You can try this hack instead: combine crushed shortbread cookie and melted butter. It may not taste as good as freshly baked shortbread, but it’s still so good and saves you a lot of time.
- Use any type of chocolate you prefer. I like using half milk chocolate and half semi-sweet chocolate. You could even use white chocolate. It’s totally up to you!
- You can also substitute the maple syrup with either corn syrup or golden syrup if needed.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?