This sweet and savory meatloaf is a classic recipe that never disappoints.
As you might have guessed… the secret ingredient is one packet of Lipton Onion Soup mix. But don’t let this simple recipe fool you. It’s a family favorite in our house.
Plus, it makes plenty of leftovers for meatloaf sandwiches, meatloaf chili, or meatloaf spaghetti. Or simply pair it up with few new side dishes. Mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, and sweet potato fries are a few favorites around our house.
Tips & Tricks for Making the Best Meatloaf
- Want to make meatloaf sandwiches? Just place a slice of leftover meatloaf in between your choice of bread. Top it with mayo, onions, pickles, and all your favorite toppings. Delicious.
- Apart from onion soup mix, you could also try other soup mixes to flavor the beef. Onion and mushroom soup mix, herb with garlic soup mix, and beefy onion soup mix all make fantastic alternatives!
- Want to try this in a slow cooker? Go ahead! Cover the meatloaf in a piece of cheesecloth, place it on a rack, then into the slow cooker it goes. This technique will hold the meatloaf together as you take it in and out of the slow cooker. Cook the meatloaf on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Want to cut back on calories? Use ground turkey instead of beef, egg beater in place of the eggs, and homemade whole wheat breadcrumbs instead of white breadcrumbs.
- Add some chopped parsley to the recipe to give your meatloaf more flavor and color.
- Give your meatloaf some extra flavor by seasoning it with Italian spices and Parmesan cheese. Yum!
- Instead of ketchup, you can also use your favorite spaghetti sauce instead. Top the meatloaf with additional spaghetti sauce as it bakes for an incredibly moist, irresistible loaf.
- Cheddar cheese can take your meatloaf to a whole new level. Add it to your beef mixture and taste the difference.
- Want to cut back on the grease? Place a few pieces of bread underneath the meatloaf and it will soak up the grease as it bakes.
- Want your meatloaf to look prettier and taste even better? Glaze the top with a mixture of ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and honey. YUM!
- If you want to ensure an incredibly moist meatloaf, use meat with a ratio of 80 to 20 fat content. The fat in the meat will liquefy as it is baking, making it super moist and delicious. If you’re using a leaner meat, like turkey or chicken, add more liquid to the meat. It will make up for the lower fat content.
- Veggies also help give your meatloaf moisture and flavor. Add pureed or finely chopped veggies, like carrots, celery, green peppers, and onions. Saute them in olive oil and butter, then add into the meatloaf mixture.
- Do not over mix the meatloaf mixture. If you overdo it, you’ll end up with a dry and tough meatloaf. So, stop as soon as the ingredients are combined. And, don’t compress the meatloaf into the pan as well. Shape it as loosely as you can so it cooks perfectly.
- Do not be tempted to bake the dish at a higher temperature to cook it faster. The perfect temperature is 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Baking it at a higher temperature will shorten the cooking time, but you’ll end up with a drier meatloaf.
How to Make Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf
With just 6 ingredients, you can whip up this family favorite any day of the week!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?