Look no further if you’re searching for the best pumpkin roll recipe. Libby’s pumpkin roll is soft, fluffy, and delicious, with a creamy center.
It’s full of sweet pumpkin flavor. And the cream cheese swirl is mouth-wateringly delicious. It’s one of my favorite go-to fall desserts.
But what makes a Libby’s pumpkin roll different from every other one you’ve tried? Well, it uses Libby’s pumpkin, for one thing. But also, it’s just better overall.
Once you try it, you’ll understand why it’s my go-to!
Libby’s Pumpkin Roll
Fall is my favorite time of year. And no fall season is complete without this delicious treat.
I love to make it around Halloween, and it always makes an appearance on my Thanksgiving table.
It’s right up there with pumpkin and sweet potato pies, but I think it’s even tastier! The cake swirled with cream cheese is just to die for.
The ingredient list for this pumpkin roll is longer than some of my dessert recipes. But it’s still easy to make. Here’s what you need:
- Powdered sugar – Powdered sugar is one of the star ingredients in this recipe. You need 1/4 cup for dusting the towel to make the cake easier to roll. Then, add 1 cup of sifted powdered sugar to the cream cheese mixture for the filling. Finally, add even more to the finished product to make it look pretty.
- Flour – Stick to all-purpose flour for this recipe. Cake flour provides a lovely texture but makes the cake harder to roll.
- Baking powder & baking soda – These are the leavening agents that will help the cake rise.
- Spices – Flavor your pumpkin roll with 1/2 teaspoon each of ground cinnamon and cloves. They give it its signature fall flavor, making it taste and smell amazing. Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt, as well, to enhance all the other flavors.
- Eggs – Eggs act as a binding agent and hold everything together. They also add moisture and help provide the pumpkin roll with its soft, spongy texture.
- Granulated sugar – Pumpkin is naturally sweet but isn’t necessarily “dessert-level” sweet. Add granulated sugar to ensure the pumpkin roll tastes as yummy as possible.
- Libby’s Pure Pumpkin – Though any brand will work, using Libby’s makes this pumpkin roll a “Libby’s” pumpkin roll.
- Walnuts – These are optional but totally delicious. They add a rich nuttiness, crunch, and texture.
- Cream cheese – Use full-fat cream cheese for the best flavor. Also, set it out early so it warms to room temperature and softens. It’s much easier to work with that way.
- Butter – You can substitute margarine if you prefer.
- Vanilla extract – Like salt, vanilla is a flavor enhancer that makes everything taste better.
How to Make Libby’s Pumpkin Roll
This pumpkin roll may seem difficult at first glance. But it’s actually quite simple.
1. Prepare. Set out your ingredients, and preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and line a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan with wax paper. Then, grease and flour the paper.
Spread a thin cotton towel out on a clean work surface. Cover it liberally with powdered sugar.
2. Make the batter. Use one bowl to combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
Then, use another to beat together the eggs and granulated sugar. Beat the pumpkin into this mixture, as well. Finally, work the original flour mixture into this one. Stir until it’s mixed.
3. Bake. Spread the batter into the jelly roll pan and top it with nuts. Bake it for 13 to 15 minutes until the cake is soft and springy.
4. Roll and cool. When the cake is ready, remove it from the oven. Immediately release it from the pan and remove the parchment paper.
Then, roll the cake up in the prepared towel. Let it cool in the towel on a wire rack.
5. Make the cream cheese filling. Combine the cream cheese, 1 cup of powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla in a bowl. Mix it until smooth.
6. Finish the cake. Unroll the cake and spread the cream cheese mixture over the top. Then, re-roll it, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Remove the pumpkin roll from the fridge and dust it with powdered sugar. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Pumpkin Roll
Here are a few tips to make the very best pumpkin roll.
- Make it ahead of time. Libby’s pumpkin roll tastes just as good on day two. So make it a day ahead of time instead of rushing to finish it the day you want to serve it.
- Trim any unattractive edges. After rolling your cake, you may have stray edges that stick out too far or don’t look right. Trim them off and eat them! After all, trimmed edges have zero calories, right? I know I read that somewhere.
- Get creative with decorating. Lay some parchment paper strips strategically over the pumpkin roll. Doing so allows you to create specific patterns with your powdered sugar.
- Skip the cream cheese. As delicious as cream cheese is, some people don’t like it. You can still enjoy a delicious, perfectly spiced pumpkin roll. Instead of a cream cheese filling, use your favorite icing or glaze.
- Slice the pumpkin roll while it’s chilled. A cold pumpkin roll is much easier to cut!
How to Store
Here are some tips on how to store your pumpkin roll to enjoy it at a later date.
To Store: Keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days. Remember to wrap it in two layers of plastic wrap first. Then, set it on a plate in the refrigerator.
To Freeze: You can also freeze Libby’s pumpkin rolls for up to 2 months. Again, wrap the roll (or individual slices) in a layer of plastic wrap. Then, slide it into a freezer-safe bag.
Let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight before serving it.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?